.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 14th, 2007, 10:52 PM

Private

ttomm46 is on a distinguished road
Default Comparing it to Civ 4..

Hi
i know it's a weird question but i need something to lose myself in on a daily basis..Lost my fiance and would like something to really immerse in.
as far as Civ 4 the late game is gets slow due to ling AI turns..Want to play mostly single player..Is it good compared to Civ?
also i posted awhile ago and i can see my previous post so i apologize if this is a double post.
Tom
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:13 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Comparing it to Civ 4..

Sorry to hear about your loss

Dominions 3 is definitely a great game. Up there with Civ, in my opinion. However, I feel that Civ4 has a far stronger single player game. While Dominions3 SP will challenge you, as a new player, for a good amount of time I don't think that it can compete with Civ4 in that arena.

That said, Dom3 totally blows away Civ when you turn to MultiPlayer. The range of strategies and tactics is just mind boggling, even after playing for some time. Ample room to lose yourself in!
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:18 PM

First Lieutenant

Cor2 is on a distinguished road

if you like customizablitiy this is the game for you. i have played every civ up until civ4,why not civ 4? Because i have dominions.

If you like modding this is the game for you. If you like player made mods, same.

buy it.

And join MP, there are two diffrent ways to join mp games on servers or play by email, both are free.
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Second Lieutenant

sector24 is on a distinguished road

This game is far more complex than Civ 4. Civ 4 is awesome because over the decades they game has become incredibly streamlined and the game has a general big budget polish. But it's also pretty straightforward, Civ 4 never got "boring" for me but the games frequently played out the same way, and they really bogged down once you got to the late game.

Dominions 3 on the other hand will take you hours and hours just to get a handle on the game's intricacies. Then after you think you've got a handle on it, if you play as a different nation it's like starting all over. And there's so many nations, even the vets haven't necessarily played them all. This is a good thing though, this game will keep you occupied for years if you want it to. The incredible complexity of Dominions 3 makes it the perfect game to get lost in.

Civ 4 wins on graphics and streamlined interface, but part of playing Dominions 3 single player is learning how to manage your nation with the minimum amount of micromanagement. Once you get it figured out the game moves at a good pace. I play full games with me vs. all the AI nations and turn generation is usually under 5 minutes on an old crappy laptop. For a reasonably powered desktop I think turns can generate in a minute or two. This is also subject to how you set up the games. If there are 1500 provinces of course the turns will take a little longer.

You can also read a review of it here:
http://www.odstudios.com/article.php?anum=311
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:41 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road

IMHO Civ4 is a better single player game (though dom3 is still plenty fun single player).

Dom3 is a MUCH better MP game though (the best 4x turn based MP game I've ever played actually).
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:24 AM

Private

ttomm46 is on a distinguished road

thanks all..you've been helpful.
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:10 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Every time someone asks if dom3 is worth buying, I always feel the need to give them this answer:

If you are willing to use player made mods, Dom3 has more content (in terms of units, spells, nations, graphics etc) than you could ever hope to get tired of.

If you are willing to mod, Dom3 is one of the most mod friendly games ever and the amount you can do is surprising.

If Dom3 had no modding, I wouldn't be half as into it as I am. As it stands, I will keep playing it for years to come. I wish it had better SP, but the MP is so strong that it almost makes up for it.
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:50 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Well, to put it simply, I'm a Civ Fanatic. And I love Civ 4. That said, after Dom 3 came out, I haven't played Civ 4 at all. (I must confess to taking a break to play Galactic Civilizations 2 every once in while though).

I occasionally post something useful.
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:00 AM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Civ 4 is a really weak game with many stupid solutions. It was a good game many many years ago [well, not 4, but civ 1 & 2], but it cannot compare to Alpha Centauri or Dominions. I have tried to play Civ4 recently but it isn't fun. All that vassals, fighting archers with tanks and so on...

LA Agartha guide
Old October 15th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road

I agree with Zeldor, the improved graphics killed the modding frenzy you had with civ 2 (hundreds of scenario).
I play mostly SP in most games, and I think civ 4 is no match to dom 3 on this point of view.( currently taking dust in its box...)
As the MP part as mutch fans, it is a good bonus !

Senior member of the GLIN !