The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old December 28th, 2003, 01:55 PM

Captain

bearclaw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: firing on your own fighters?

I've had fighters launch and work just fine, then retreve them due to damage. Lanch them again and they get shot at by my PDC. The same fighter.
A+ Se+++ GdY $++ Fr- C+ Csp Sf* AuO M++ MpTFdAM St RTNH Pw++ Fq++ Nd++ Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb++ L+ Tcp-
Old December 28th, 2003, 08:02 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

I'm betting its a problem with the collision detection then..a fighter might accidently bump your ship not enough to kill it but enough to trigger your PDC.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old December 28th, 2003, 10:51 PM

Sergeant

Sivran is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix-D:
I'm betting its a problem with the collision detection then..a fighter might accidently bump your ship not enough to kill it but enough to trigger your PDC.
Yeah, that definitely sounds plausible. My PDCs fire on my own fighters when they hit me (damn drunk pilots..) but when I'm careful to avoid ramming my fighters, my PDCs don't start firing on them. The collisiongrid "cheat" helps (for me at least) to avoid ramming.

Quote:
Originally posted by bearclaw: yeah, I've come across my fighters not wanting to dock again. What I found was that if you've given the command to return all fighters, then you can fly over the fighter and pick it up like cargo boxes
Haven't had much luck with that Once they catch up to me, if I so much as turn around they get rammed instead of scooped up.
Old December 29th, 2003, 12:41 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix-D:
Fyron, buy and launch a Fazrah fighter. Does it immidiately try to kill you? No? Then it can't be launched as the race it is.
I have seen that happen, actually... they are created as a member of their race, but they have special rules they are supposed to follow, so they do not think you are an enemy, and your ship does not think that they are an enemy. These rules don't always work though. This is why your PDC sometimes fire on fighters you have launched, and why sometimes your fighters turn on you if you pick up illegal cargo.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old December 30th, 2003, 10:57 AM

Captain

bearclaw is on a distinguished road

Okay! I've figured out what's going on. At least, for me.

I used the above view during a battle and found out why my carriers fire on my fighters!

When I launch them, I was launching them too fast and they were colliding with each other! The other times, the fighters must have either collided with my ship or another fighter and then my PDC's would kick in.
A+ Se+++ GdY $++ Fr- C+ Csp Sf* AuO M++ MpTFdAM St RTNH Pw++ Fq++ Nd++ Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb++ L+ Tcp-
Old January 5th, 2004, 07:06 PM

Private

Gruffel is on a distinguished road

Fighters are coded really bad.
If you try to lauch multiple fighters (which should work when you have multiple figher bays) the fighters tend to collide with each other.
When you lauch or recover fighters while cruising around or battling (and doing evasive maneuvers etc) the fighters tend to collide with your own ship while launching/trying to enter the hangar.
That actually is ok for the recovery, so all you have to do is drop dead in space in order to recover fighters (launching should work though while moving).
A MAJOR issue is the point defence systems.
They fire at ANY fighter currently exploding rather firing on incoming torpedoes.
They even fire at your own currently exploding fighters.
For next patch PLEASE include a fix for that!
Point Defence should NEVER EVER fire on currently exploding fighters, target lock should immediately switch from a currently exploding target to the next enemy target (when you hit T the next enemy should be shown in the display as well)!
If you have multiple Point Defence Systems onboard, only ONE should fire on ONE incoming torpedoe, the next PDF should fire on the NEXT incoming torpedoe. Currently its useless to have more than one PDF for torpedoe defence.
Furthermore there should be an option (maybe in the cargo readout) to set PDF fire on fighters yes or no, that would allow the PDF to intercept torpedoes even when in a huge firefight where fighters are involved too.
I experienced the Galactica mod to be unplayable because of this coding lack. The mod itself is great and much fun but the lacking PDF control and the fighter ramming/firing bugs made me go down against the Cylon Fleets, my fighters were just useless, harming me more than the enemy and distracting my PDF fire.
Hmm...that should it be for now...
Gruffel
P.S.:
Are there any other mods/new campaigns out there yet besides the Galactica mod which I really like (especially with the sound, woot)
Any links would be really welcome

[ January 05, 2004, 17:08: Message edited by: Gruffel ]
Old January 5th, 2004, 08:03 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

You can solve the launch problem by staggering your launches a bit. If you wait long enough they won't collide.

Firing on dying fighters is IIRC in the next patch fix.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old January 5th, 2004, 10:56 PM

Private

Gruffel is on a distinguished road

Good to know they wanna fix it