.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 29th, 2004, 09:41 PM

Default Partial protection can kill

I'm surprised to see that the AI does not cast individual protection spells when requested, if the mage already has some _partial_ protection.
I've tested a simple combo for early Pythium Serpent Cult : use hydras and serpent acolytes, but ask the acolytes to cast Resist Poison to avoid the poison of the hydras if they rout through my mages rearguard. But, no, the AI considers that a 50% poison resistance is enough, and the poor acolytes don't get immunity, and die if they are too close...
Same for Harbingers : don't try to script Lightning Resistance before Wraithful Sky, the angels will cast Mistform instead, and die very quickly to the lightnings...
Few mages have a 50% prot, but this is probably a serious problem if you try to use protection items like Dragon Helm, Fire Plate, Charcoal Shield, Frost Brand, Serpent Kryss, etc etc then try to give immunity to the holder.
Is this a bug ?
Is this because the protection will be greater than 100 % (50 + 100) ?
Wards work perfectly in the above conditions... but it gives 50 + 50 %. So it has nothing to see with the dom1 Thunderward/Wraithful Sky problem (we had to script WS before the ward, or the ward was overriden because opponent had no air mages).

Any thought ?

TIA
Old March 1st, 2004, 12:34 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Partial protection can kill

I think its a bug yes, the code check the ability, but dont check if the % is 100 or above?

By the way, on a related domain, I was under the belief that zero gems cost spells were never overriden, if the conditions were met. For example, why a blink is overriden? The AI should not judge these kind of spells.
Old March 1st, 2004, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pocus:
I think its a bug yes, the code check the ability, but dont check if the % is 100 or above?
It is a problem of targetting IMO. A mage with protection vs something is not a valid target for the spell. The system does not check if the protection is partial and if the spell could be useful! Bug or feature?

Cheers
Old March 1st, 2004, 01:34 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

this is what I meant
Old March 1st, 2004, 09:19 PM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunray_be:
quote:
Originally posted by Pocus:
It is a problem of targetting IMO. A mage with protection vs something is not a valid target for the spell. The system does not check if the protection is partial and if the spell could be useful! Bug or feature?

Cheers

Actually, when spells can be targeted, it might be nice to be able to specify that you want the mage to cast it at himself.