This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 16th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Sergeant

inigma is on a distinguished road
Default SE5 Demo Bug Reports & Annoyances/Requests

1. Feel free to post any bugs you encounter with the Space Empires V Demo, in this thread.

2. Also if you enounter a regular annoyance, please post here as well.

3. Please keep requests and other suggestions to obvious user-friendly changes (such as screen sizes, window management, information management, etc), and not actual game changes or expansions.

Let's help Aaron by keeping this thread focused on those things. Thanks!

Related Threads:

Demo Bug Reports thread at Strategy First:
http://www.strategyfirst.com/forum/c...;f=58;t=000052

SEV Demo is Out thread at Shrapnel Community:
http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...t=7#Post445988

And don't forget to help expand the Space Empires V section at the Space Empires Wiki: http://wiki.spaceempires.net
Old September 16th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Sergeant

inigma is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5 Demo Bug Reports

I run WinXP SP2, DirectX v9.0 with ATI Radeon 9600

These are bugs I've found so far:

Bug: I get access violation errors occasionally when using the Design window. I have yet to nail down a reproducible cause yet. When I do get them, it halts the entire program and I have to force end it through Task Manager.

Bug: I also notice that when using the tutorial, when I alt+tab back to a WinXP program, and then alt+tab back into SEV Demo, the Tutorial screen doesn't render correctly, and instead is beset with a mess of distorted lines running across it. It goes away when I refresh.

Bug/Annoyance: When clicking on a name for an item in a selection box (like a filter or layout selection), the name highlights, but the blue ball doesn't fill in the item's empty ball slot and thus the item is not selected. Only when I click on the empty ball does it fill in. Even worse, when I double-click the name, the selection window closes without selecting the name I just double-clicked. It would be great if selecting items in lists was more intuative. Perhaps making the options in these screens respond to a single click selection instead of double, and respond when a name is clicked instead of just the icon of the ball, would make screen and options control better.

Typo: On page 20 of 51 of the Tutorial the phrase "Select the item titled 'Production' and the* press the OK button." *The word should be "then".
Old September 16th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road

Reposted from the other demo thread:

odd bug. very odd. start in a system with 2 warp points. warp thru the first, find system A. set the ship to "explore" and it goes back to the home system, and then transits the second warppoint into system B. now the quadrant display shows the systems linked in a line, Home -> A -> B, instead of how they actually should be V shaped like A <- Home -> B.
Old September 16th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Beta tip:

If you do get a crash/lockup, try ALT-F4 for an easy-quick quit.
Old September 16th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Sergeant

StarShadow is on a distinguished road

I'm not certain this is a bug but if it is it's a BIG one, during race creation I took the 'extra storage' trait, however, all my planets have the normal capacity (ie huge planets only house 8000m pop)!!
Old September 16th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Corporal

Zereth is on a distinguished road

After installing, when I try to run the game, I get an error box that says "Range check error.". And switching to Mozilla to tell people about this generates another error saying "Access violation at address 0047F56B in module "se5.exe". Read of address 000000EC." EDIT: With a new box every time I switch off of it, and then I discovered that there were three copies of se5.exe running all of hwich were generating new error boxes when I missed with any of them and I had to kill them all from the task manager.
Old September 16th, 2006, 02:51 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Note to anyone using a dual-core machine: if you force SE5 to use only a single core, it gets a LOT more stable.

To do this, run SE5, press CTRL-ALT-DELETE, click the process tab, right-click Se5.exe, click Set Affinity, and deselect one of the CPUs.

You'll have to do this every time you run the program, sadly; Windows XP doesn't keep track. I recommend installing Prio if you end up using this trick a lot- it forces XP to remember that setting.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old September 16th, 2006, 02:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
StarShadow said:
I'm not certain this is a bug but if it is it's a BIG one, during race creation I took the 'extra storage' trait, however, all my planets have the normal capacity (ie huge planets only house 8000m pop)!!
The trait was changed to only affect cargo, and it now affects both ship cargo and planet cargo.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old September 16th, 2006, 02:58 PM

Sergeant

StarShadow is on a distinguished road

Well that kind of sucks. But isn't it still supposed to apply to facility space?
Old September 16th, 2006, 03:07 PM

Sergeant

Noble713 is on a distinguished road

I've been trying to assault a planet. Through intel, I've managed to get both orbital defense bases and an enemy ship to mutiny to my side, so the AI has no space assets, only it's planet. I have about 20 ships, including 3 transports with troops. I give my transports orders to move toward the planet and drop troops. The rest of my fleet just mills about, or perhaps even tries to flee. What's annoying is that the combats keep ending after about 20 seconds, long before my transports reach the planet. I've burned up about 4 movement points trying to close the distance so far. Why does combat keep ending? I could understand if I was trying to withdraw, but I have (stolen) bases and ships sitting right next to the planet.

L+ GdY $? Fr! C- SdS T!+ Sf+ Tcp A% M++ MpM R!- Pw+ Fq-- Nd-- RP+ G++