.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 4th, 2010, 10:02 AM

Private

CautiousChaos is on a distinguished road
Default Is this forum really as busy as it claims?

Hello everyone,
This is somewhat of an aimless post. But...

Every time I visit this forum, even today, the forum shows a lot of people that are currently actively visiting. Yesterday it showed 100 viewers, this morning 93.

For a game that has been out for years and years, that's remarkable. Of course, I've been playing for years and keep coming back to the game, so maybe that makes sense.

It's a game that just has never gotten old to me!
-cc
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Sergeant

GameExtremist is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is this forum really as busy as it claims?

The way I see it this game has a legion of staunch followers, I used to play in a MUD that was easily 10 years outdated and we still (have) a strong community....The game goes from strength to strength.
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:24 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Recently this forum splintered and scattered. Its now about 4 forums that I know of.

Plus this game has always been on multiple levels creating the numbers you see. The need to create a login tends to go hand in hand with either posting a question on this forum, or joining a game on this forum, or getting some quick answers from the Chat on this forum (the link up top here by the Forum Rules). Many people play solo, or in "me and my friends" games. And now there are multiple places to sign up for mp games where you dont have to have a login here for it. So we have always had a high number of lurkers just looking up answers. Lately even more.

But Im confident (see my title under my login name) that this forum will pick back up once people who were chased away by some of the split-off factions come back to try again. Not to mention the influx we are seeing of new players since Dom3 became a digital download.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:50 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
But I'm confident (see my title under my login name) that this forum will pick back up once people who were chased away by some of the split-off factions come back to try again.
I'm not confident of that at all personally.

A fair number of the former regulars can't come back for obvious reasons, while another fair number weren't 'chased away' at all, as they decided for themselves to simply not post here any more due to 'the incident', and in particular the way it was handled.

I think this forum will only pick-up again if new players seeking to play MP games become regular contributors, while at the same time developing the skills and knowledge base (especially in the modding department) that was possessed by the former regulars referred to above, who are now no longer part of this forum community (although they do continue to be part of the Dominions community on the other forum(s)).

Everyone has their own opinion on 'the incident', and on those individuals who were banned. I'm not at all looking to open that issue up again, but a lot of skills and knowledge was lost on that black weekend in early May, and this forum community will take a long time to recover from it. If in fact it ever does actually fully recover from it. (Which is doubtful IMO)
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:11 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Personally, I'd say that these forums are a lot less active than they have been half a year to a year ago. Where do you get your numbers about visitors? From the view count? That's a page view count, so you'll have to divide it by a non-negligible factor.

But it's true, it seems like there's been a lot less activity especially since some people were chased away. Those were big-time contributors whose lack of presence can be felt very strongly.
Emergency comic relief

Last edited by lch; June 4th, 2010 at 11:20 AM..
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

If it really is view count, you basicly divide it by 5 i guess.
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Most peopl ehave spent years going to one forum, or only seeing something like the NewPosts link.
If you to go the main entrance of the forum and scroll to the bottom.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php

it presently says
Currently Active Users: 249 (36 members and 213 guests)
Most users ever online was 577, 05-01-10 at 07:52 PM.

If the high point was 5 years ago and we are half of that, its not too bad as game forums go.
Of course it should be mentioned that a number of those guests are spiders from search engines. But the admins can see that. I see them on my server and their numbers are never those numbers. I feel safe in saying we have many lurkers reading but not yet interested in joining our mp games.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:09 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Oh, but that's a side-wide counter. I haven't visited the other forums myself, but it is my impression that they're at least as busy as the Dom3 subforums. You're the only Top five poster that I know, after all, I have never noticed the four other guys.
Emergency comic relief
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:46 PM

First Lieutenant

Makinus is on a distinguished road

As a honorary member or the Lurker Alliance (TM) I can attest that, while i only post once every month or so, i check these forums and read threads pratically every day....
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Taking both this and the dom3mods forum together there is still quite a lot of activity going on. This forum has more volume of posts, that one far more productive output (actually output has been really very high lately).
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs