.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old September 11th, 2005, 09:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

WBWilder is on a distinguished road
Default Re: It Begins! - A New Scenario by Wild Bill Wilde

Now that is an interesting variation and worth a try, Artur. Without air assest, I imagine that its quite a challenge, but can be done. The Chieftans pack a terrible punch. Don't let them get the drop on you!

WB

Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Scenario Designer
Old September 12th, 2005, 03:17 AM

Corporal

Gooseman2448 is on a distinguished road

WB,

Dittos!!!

You are the master of challanging and interesting scenarios.

I have played all of them a few times. Just finished It Begins, but with a different twist. I substituted US units.

1 Mech plt
1 M1A2 SEP Plt
1 M1A1HA+ plt
1 Mech AT plt (M2A3+)
2 Hmmwv Scout sec
1 AH64D sec (one w/ 8 Hellfires and 1 w/ 4 Hellfires and rockets)
2 Linebackers and 1 Vulcan
1 M7 FIST-V w FO
And last but not least...
2 A-10s w/ Mav ATGM and CBUs.

I have gotten several Marginals and one Decisive between the different versions. Probably because I am a bit aggressive.

I have the same basic tactic in all versions. I send my scout just short of Hill 141 to watch for units coming around the hill and ambush any Inf. I move my AT units to covering areas, one to the North to cover the North road, two in the center and one to cover the south highway.

I pull my tanks (Challenger 1, Leo 2, M1 SEPs) up to the rail road. This gives good view of top of hill. I bring the second tank platoon down through the southwest to cover the southern highway and southern side of the hill. As the reinforceing tanks arrive I usally send one north and the others to fill in for lost vehicles.

I tend to use the infantry to fill in the middle, kind of a speed bump, with metal spikes!!! I set them up defending the little house before the west face of the hill. If any one makes it that far the will ambush them. Usually I have to put one squad in the trees south of the the north village (approx 19,10 or 19,11) for some scouting of the north intersection.

This is my basic plan. I works fair enough.

As I said I just finished my US mod. Marginal victory. I got pounded in the middle. Lost all but one M2A3 of my INF Plt. Infantry got pounded also by Art. (Id swear the Computer was learning .
Everything started out well, M1 SEPs and M2A3 ATs were knocking Russian tanks like a old WW1 trench assault. Nothing that came over the hill seemed to have a chance.

A few T90s and BMP3s slipped down the hill and beat up my M2's. But the covering M1s got then one shot too late.

Usually I get more of a split in the attack, but this time most of the force came around or down the hill. It baecame a fist fight. Arena and VRRS popping everywhere.

Finally with the center contained I move my M1HAs slowly along the southern highway to clean up and move to the east side. I have lost quite a few tanks along this route, Kriztema-S (and BRDMs) hide back here.

By about turn 6 I have used my AH64s and A10' to pound the left overs and I can move units in to strat to take the VIC Flags by turn 9.

I think the 2005 version is harder. With the Russian ATGM defenses missiles are less of a sure kill. If they defeat the missile they are usually going to get the light skin ATGM APC.

The first time I played this US mod I didn't fair too well. Russian takes got better shots and I lost 2 SEPs trying to defend the northern road. Lost 3 M1Ha's and 2 M2A3 AT's defending the southern highway. Lost one apache also and A10's were knocked out the sky (bad floght plan).

Overall, TOW's good, Hellfires only killed one, they seem to be defeated easly.

Keep up the great work Bill.

BTW, I loved Larry, Currley, and Moe so much I modified it a bit with basically same units, just with units from my current MOD. I might get it out before the patch.
Old September 12th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road

Hi Bill,

just played the scenario. It was an enjoyable slaughterfest!
Lost 1 tank, a couple of APC's and a rapier unit; few russians survived the engagement.

My Lynx's had no problems hitting the BRDM's or ZSU's with TOW's. Hit percentages varied but went up into the 80's. Probably because they hovered in place and only moved up and down to spot enemies.

I do have a question though. Using older tanks next to Challengers does give a nice twist, but weren't all MBT's in the BAOR Challengers and Chieftains by '86?

Narwan
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:02 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Yes - by then the only "front line" users of Centurions were in Hong Kong I belive ( A single squadron ?).

I cannot think of any unit that would have gone from Cents straight to Challengers.

As an example (History of 2RTR):
http://www.army.mod.uk/2rtr/regimental_history/

So - 1968, Centurions out and Chieftains in for 2 RTR.
Re-roled 1972 as a Recce regiment, back to the heavy role in 1984 again with Chieftain, and then CR1 in 1986, CR2 in 1998.

After the early 70's its highly unlikely you would see any Centurions other than the odd squadron in say HK. Most were probably sold off to other NATO countries by 75 or so.

UK regiments would block-convert to a new type post war (unlike WW2 when you got what you got given, unless pulled to the rear for a full refit. Saves on the logistical burden. Possibly, there may be a squadron by squadron roll in, but never troops in the same squadron mixed, other than adding conqueror troops to centurion squadrons briefly at one period.

Cheers
Andy
Old September 12th, 2005, 02:34 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road

Second remark on the scenario; the SA-11 Gadfly has a minimum range of 60 so it's just about useless on such a small map... except to serve as further cannonfodder.

Narwan
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:39 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Those SAM with long sabot (i.e. minimum) ranges are really only useful for the stand-off role - i.e. on fixed wing planes as they are placed on the map edge, not e.g helos.

Cheers
Andy