Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Guide The Artifact Tier List - Page 2 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 17th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Artifact Tier List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaz View Post
Because const 8 is later and with no hammers it has a chance not to pay for itself before game ends. With hammers T3.
if you're the first person to const 8, it'll pay for itself.

Seriously, i've been to constr 8 *and* conj 9 by turn ~33 before. (Turbo tart rush!)

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old December 17th, 2010, 08:50 AM

Private

ExHeretic is on a distinguished road

Nice list It is accurate enought to give good idea to beginners of what to forge if they happen to be first at const 8. All the vets ofcourse could make their own list with some personal preferences.

Linking the items to the wiki would be cool. It would also be a pain do.

Some personal preferences of mine (what i would change if this was my list).

There should be tier 0 for chalice, Hammer of forge whore, gate stone and the scepter of 3 death boost

Even talking about rest of the items in the same context with those is insulting.

The sicle is overrated. Whitout some abusive way to use it its not that good. I have seen tarts go down when trying to farm gems whit sicle in battle. Does not casting soul vortex to get more gems sound familiar? Loosing 150 gem tart to get some "free" gems is funny. To the other players

Soulstone of wolfs is good but not tier 1 in my books. The free chaff is not so great bonus. Howl in battles is good but not so huge bonus either. Magic lamp should be tier 1. If you are first in const 8 there is good chance to keep the djinn long enough for him to pay it back. You can't give him gear becouse you never know when he goes puff (Or is it ffup when he disappears, whos knows?) but he is very potent combat caster whitout any stuff. The sword of Aurgelmer should definedly be tier 1. It is one of the very few ways to protect your army from enemy evocations on turn 1 when attacking. And it is 50% protection. Amon hoteph is very strong tier 2 item. It may even belong to tier 1. Same goes for the dwarven hammer.

I havent found many good uses for armor of virtue. Maybe i have gotten something wrong whit it? Not so good for protection and the dude can still be one shotted. Down it goes

Tome of gaia should be whit the other +2 boosters in tier 2. The ankh Also protects mages from death at turn 1. It should be tier 2. What is hammer of mountains doing here? Test to see if readers are awake? Some CBM stuff?

Twin spears are are crap. Together they are even more crap. - 8 to attack and no shield is inferior to almost any reasonable combo. The one with call horror have some value. Down goes the other. Im not too sure about the axes either. i almost never use them. The flailing hands is good for combat caster and should be at tier 3. The summit has 12 attack which is very usefull for some cases. It is also good weapon by other stats too. Tier 3 stuff.

Igor Konhelm's tome has storm power 5 which is guite enought to move it out of tier 5. There are some items in tier 5 which are not very powerfull but are so cheap that they should be used. Holger the Head, Percival the Pocket Knight, O'al Kan's Sceptre, Winter Bringer and Carcator the Pocket Lich belong to that list. Percival and Holger are both guite good in assasinations. Used by defender or attacker. I have even once seen them go against each other in in one fight

It is quite funny to see the items that were once concidered to be game breakingly good at the bottom of the forge list Clam will pay it self back in 15 turns. So if u expect the game to go on longer than that you should forge it.

Alchemist stone can really help if some globals are cast or if someone desides to start the apocalypse too soon

Keep up the good work

Last edited by ExHeretic; December 17th, 2010 at 09:07 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ExHeretic For This Useful Post:
Old December 17th, 2010, 09:01 AM

First Lieutenant

Dimaz is on a distinguished road

ExHeretic, your changes (and their reason) are almost the same as mine and you actually had the time to explain them, thanks.
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:10 AM

Private

ExHeretic is on a distinguished road

Now that i have given it a bit more thought i definitely think that dwarven hammer should be tier 1 (forged ASAP). The reason to this is the fact that before the nerf you forged brands with hammer an saved 2-4 gems per turn. Now if u get THE hammer you will forge rings and artifacts with it saving 10-20 gems every turn. Even if you wished for it it would probably pay itself back. Ofcourse there is the two even better hammers to wish for so not much sense in wishing for that one.

I started my x-mas break bit early this year so i have had much time to mumble some less usefull stuff with my bad english in the forums lately
Old December 17th, 2010, 01:14 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExHeretic View Post
The ankh Also protects mages from death at turn 1.
CBM 1.7 removed the magic paths from Souless. So the ankh (and LaD) has lost a lot of value now, since it now won't save your mages as 'mages' anymore, as it now turns them into pathless souless commanders. (it will save their gear and gems though)
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:14 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

that's a great improvement.
Old December 17th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

I'd move the Soulstone quite a bit down, free chaff is not a whole lot of worthy that late on.
I'd move the Aegis up, the Forbidden light up, the Horror Harmonica up (my favorite artifact), Amon Hotep down, never really found it useful, too expensive for my taste.

Never really found Gate Stone that useful either, definitely not game breaking imo. I rarely made that one, mostly because it's too expensive and requires a too high a path, but because it's too risky to use for my taste. I wouldn't dare use it on anything else than a Tartarian, equped with 2 elixers of life, bodyguards and a whole lot of SC support that jumps with the army to land on either on a big enemy army or a fort. Definitely wouldn't use it continuously. It's an awesome artifact but requires a too big an investment to use. I've seen hundreds of gems go puff with a few lucky spells.

I don't think anything besides The Challice is game breaking actually. Having most of the good ones can be I guess, Challice, Boots Of Plains, Forbiden Light, Sickle, Sceptre, Djin.
Old December 17th, 2010, 03:51 PM

Sergeant

Corinthian is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know what the twin axes actually does? There is no description on the dom3.servegame wiki. It must do something if it warrants a tier 4 rating?
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:14 PM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

Arm chopping I think, fear strength aaand MR?
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:57 PM

Sergeant

PriestyMan is on a distinguished road

One thing i should mention. Most of the talk about this list can be found on IRC, so if i seem hesitant to agree with anyone, a lot of times, the counterarguent has been pushed on IRC, and has convinced me.

Quote:
linking the items to the wiki would be cool. It would also be a pain do.
yeah, i think Maer said he would be posting this to the wiki. unless you mean linking each artifact. that is a lot of work. its easy enough to get there. lol

Quote:
There should be tier 0 for chalice, Hammer of forge whore, gate stone and the scepter of 3 death boost
yeah there should be, but i like 5 tiers

Quote:
The sicle is overrated. Whitout some abusive way to use it its not that good. I have seen tarts go down when trying to farm gems whit sicle in battle. Does not casting soul vortex to get more gems sound familiar? Loosing 150 gem tart to get some "free" gems is funny. To the other players
there's a couple reason i still have it at T1
1) not all games ban farming. i personally dont because you just need to have scouts to stop it so its not that exploitable.
2)the sickle doesn't need to get the kill to get gems. a unit with the aegis, a brand, (not sure about spells) but its better at farming D gems than you think.
3) indy barb/knight/everything else attacks= 30death gems. win.

Quote:
Soulstone of wolves is good but not tier 1 in my books. The free chaff is not so great bonus. Howl in battles is good but not so huge bonus either. Magic lamp should be tier 1. If you are first in const 8 there is good chance to keep the djinn long enough for him to pay it back. You can't give him gear becouse you never know when he goes puff (Or is it ffup when he disappears, whos knows?) but he is very potent combat caster whitout any stuff. The sword of Aurgelmer should definedly be tier 1. It is one of the very few ways to protect your army from enemy evocations on turn 1 when attacking. And it is 50% protection. Amon hoteph is very strong tier 2 item. It may even belong to tier 1. Same goes for the dwarven hammer.
I origionally had soulstone at T2, but i that was one of the first major issuse that people had with this. and i tend to agree with it at T1 now. Upkeep free wolves all game. the sheer number of free chaff this thing gives you is amazing. and if you can farm the sickle, this is the item to use with that.

Magic Lamp is not T1 because it is not something you can rely on. someone *will* reforge it. its great, but not gamechanging because its unreliable.

I'm afraid your argument for amon hotep and aurgelmer actually reinforce where i put them. they are not items that will change the game, but they are a huge benefit. you can stil only put amon hotep on 1 guy. if the resistance against the sickle is expressed more i might have to move it down. aurgelmer and amon hotep are pretty comparable to the rest of T2 i think. dimensional rod, gift of kurgi, tome of high power etc. I'll think about the dwarven hammer.

Quote:
I havent found many good uses for armor of virtue. Maybe i have gotten something wrong whit it? Not so good for protection and the dude can still be one shotted. Down it goes
I've had a lot of people ask to put the armor as T1, but i left it down because of the fact that you can still 1 shot someone. its still pretty damn good for keeping people alive.

Quote:
Tome of gaia should be whit the other +2 boosters in tier 2. The ankh Also protects mages from death at turn 1. It should be tier 2. What is hammer of mountains doing here? Test to see if readers are awake? Some CBM stuff?
Tome of gaia is not on the same level as the T2 boosters because they are in a slot that isnt there easily. black book of secrets saves a ring for tart summoning, forbidden light is obvious enough, and dimensional rod is too. there is already misc boosters for E and N.

Hammer of the Mountains is an artifact. CBM made it one several versions ago. (1.5 i think?) check it out. i love it. it does 100damage.

Ankh is no where near as good with CBM 1.7 its no longer T1 like it used to be, or even T2.

Quote:
Twin spears are are crap. Together they are even more crap. - 8 to attack and no shield is inferior to almost any reasonable combo. The one with call horror have some value. Down goes the other. Im not too sure about the axes either. i almost never use them. The flailing hands is good for combat caster and should be at tier 3. The summit has 12 attack which is very usefull for some cases. It is also good weapon by other stats too. Tier 3 stuff.
twin spears. they might do to go down. of course the thing i've used them with is a rudra. which solves all those problems. but thats not exactly fair. maybe i will move just the D one down. the axes are much better.

I like flailing hands where they are. not on the same level as T3 imo.

Quote:
Igor Konhelm's tome has storm power 5 which is guite enought to move it out of tier 5. There are some items in tier 5 which are not very powerfull but are so cheap that they should be used. Holger the Head, Percival the Pocket Knight, O'al Kan's Sceptre, Winter Bringer and Carcator the Pocket Lich belong to that list. Percival and Holger are both guite good in assasinations. Used by defender or attacker. I have even once seen them go against each other in in one fight
i really dont think storm power 5 is enough to move it out of the super-niche catagory.

and yes, the rest of those items are indeed worth forging. but they really dont do much. hence the
Quote:
provide such a small benefit that they may as well not exist
Quote:
It is quite funny to see the items that were once concidered to be game breakingly good at the bottom of the forge list Clam will pay it self back in 15 turns. So if u expect the game to go on longer than that you should forge it.
yeah i agree

Quote:
Alchemist stone can really help if some globals are cast or if someone desides to start the apocalypse too soon
yeah super niche basically. or for LA ryleh. they love it