.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Closed Thread

Old October 21st, 2006, 01:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

Truper is on a distinguished road
Default Posting Etiquette

In my opinion, our boards are a lot harder to read than they need to be. We have too many posters quoting when it isn't necessary, and several who have graphical signatures that take up a lot of space and who post frequently. My concern may be somewhat selfish, since as a moderator I read everything (or at least try to - the boards are extremely active, and that's a good thing), but nevertheless, I want to bring up the following points for your consideration.

1. Please quote only when necessary so that someone can understand your response. We have many posters who will quote a substantial passage, only to append the equivalent of "Yeah, I agree." Simply posting one line that says "Yeah, I agree with XXX's point that YYY is a good thing" will help make the thread more readable. If you're responding to a numbered list of questions, it isn't necessary to quote each question and then give your response, simply list your responses with the same numbers as the questions, especially if your post immediately follows the first.

Quoting is sometimes necessary, especially if you want to respond to something said several posts ago, so that your response can be understood. But please consider whether or not you need to quote.

2. I would like those posters who have graphical signatures to consider whether it is really necessary for the Dominions 3 community to see the same image over and over. Also consider that if you post frequently enough, literally column-yards of board space can be taken up by your signature. Shrapnel will be instituting some limits on signatures, but until the new policy is ready, please keep these points in mind.

I'll be adding more points of etiquette as I think of them, and I am also going to lock this post to keep it clean. If you wish to comment on any of this, please PM me, or start a new thread.

Thanks.
Closed Thread