.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:46 PM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Invisible Swarm III: open

I have to save a spot for YC! We have 8 already, damn! Let's do 9-10 players, I guess. The game will be 24-h quickhost for the first 25-30 turns or so, then 48-h quickhost.

No victory conditions, I agree.. people usually will give up in a reasonable time anyway.

And yeah, we'll use all 4 mods, it seems like some people like those settings, so we'll stick with them.

I put a player list in the 2nd post.

Manuk - the game will be on my computer
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:38 PM

Captain

Aku is on a distinguished road

maybe save the last spot for manuk since yc is 9 and manuk will be 10? manuk is an active player and good also
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:35 AM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jurri said:I'm not sure if having both the zen mods and SCs mod is a good idea, though. Consider: Zen mods make army-killing spells harder to cast and army-buffing spells easier to cast. Cherry mod makes it much easier to make large armies...
Personally... I'd say that while my mod makes does large armies easier to make overall, it makes large armies of good units only slightly easier to make, and in some cases a bit more difficult. The mod only makes large armies of bad units much easier to make The mod is designed to work well in conjunction with Zen's mods; I kept note of them while creating it (the weapon and armor IDs he uses do not overlap with mine, for example).

Playing solo, I prefer to use my mod + Zen's Pretenders + Zen's Magic. But I will admit to a slight bias
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:57 AM

Captain

Jurri is on a distinguished road

Well, yeah, but most battfield-wide buffs don't much care for what exactly is being buffed! Army of Gold makes five 3 gold militia a no-brainer compared to one black plate of Ulm, in the way of an example. And with the requirements to cast said spell toned down, it's available to anyone with an E2 mage, with a not-so-high research-level. Also, with the change in the supply modifier there really isn't a problem in fielding five times as large militia armies as the black-plate armies would be (At least I don't see the point in having more than ~50 black plate in an army, and that's a large one at that.)

I guess what I fear is that the armies fielded tend to homogenize, as the buffs are easy to cast and the differences in unit cost so huge. 23 militia or 1 van, when you have weapons of sharpness available? 53 militia or 1 niefel giant assuming you have fog warriors?

But, I haven't tested this at all (aside from the army of gold... it really is great at that research-level and at E4!) so it's just guesswork against your testing, so what do I know? I'm sure Resok et al. will show me the wisdom of fielding other stuff than militia! I'll comment more on the combination of the mods after my butt has been kicked...
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:27 AM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

That's actually a pretty good point... in the magic-mod I'm making (and may or may not ever release) I'm making battlefield-effect spells generally more expensive, and not reducing their research level, as I think that several are already too strong. Army of gold / lead / marble warriors / fog warriors / haste / relief are particularly suspect... especially in combination with each other! I had been thinking more about mass-evocations in my response.

As far as cheap units with powerful buffs go, I guess they're a pretty potent strategy to which I had not given much thought. Such strategies only work on the offensive (meaning, when you correctly allocate your gems and script your mages), and only when your offensive goes as planned, as I learned in SOC1 when somebody's Ghost Riders absorbed all 45+ of my mage-gems before the real battle But they will still probably work.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:23 PM

Corporal

VALENT is on a distinguished road

can a beginner play with man? i don't know multi.
its my first multi.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:31 PM

First Lieutenant

YellowCactus is on a distinguished road

I would be happy to sub in this game.
-Yc
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:43 PM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road

Nooo YC, play!

Sure Valent, you can play. I think that is all, though. I guess we will start soon, I will keep people posted.

Oh, and there will be -way- more than 50 black plates, Jurri, and they're all coming at yoououuu!!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:20 PM

Corporal

VALENT is on a distinguished road

some questions please for a beginner:
1)what is the map? i don't know if i have telecharge it.
2)the mods is exactly what? the name please of each mod.
3) the players are not to strong? don't forget it my first multi!!!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:50 PM

First Lieutenant

YellowCactus is on a distinguished road

some questions please for a beginner:
1)what is the map? i don't know if i have telecharge it.
2)the mods is exactly what? the name please of each mod.
3) the players are not to strong? don't forget it my first multi!!!

1)Usually Chris determines the map once all the players are counted. (Wrapping maps ARE best)
2)YEA! You need to be clear about those MODs. Once everyone's argued over MODs for a while...
3)These players are VERY strong. Expecially PASHA. Team up on him from the outset. [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Bug.gif[/img] [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Dagger.gif[/img] [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Bug.gif[/img] [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Dagger.gif[/img] [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Bug.gif[/img] [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Dagger.gif[/img]

-Yc