.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 14th, 2005, 03:14 PM

Corporal

Starmyth is on a distinguished road
Default Generated Campaign USA vs Irag May 2005

Desert fighting. Iraq purchases guirellas and foreign fighters mainly. Iraq also purchases significant 155 mm off-map artillery and Astros. These are heavy artillery and I thought none of these are available in reality (and wouldn't make sense). Iraq also purchases a large quantity of AA (Vulcans) which they don't have available. Surely, these weapons are not really available within Iraq in quantity if at all since the 'end' of the war in Iraq. Mortars, RPGs, hand-held AA, and such certainly make sense. I don't know if this is OOB or coding issue but it would be nice to have it cleared up. Maybe a 'the war never took place' Iraq and a 'post-war' insurgent Iraq?

Just a thought. Take care.
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:17 PM

Corporal

Default Re: Generated Campaign USA vs Irag May 2005

Iraq This should say Iraq.
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,696 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The game doesn't do "guerrillas" well. It was never designed to except in scenarios. However, it may just be a slight picklist problem. IDK the answer offhand about the Vulcan AA ,it only enters the game Jan/2005. There are ZPU-4's bought as well. Both can be used in a ground role. If you're having a problem with the arty you can always push back the start date with MOBHack of unit 841 and 843 to say... 2010 and that should clear them from the picks. Same advice for the ASTROS if you don't want those showing up

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Corporal

AB is on a distinguished road

The pick routines of the computer don't make sense for every situation. They work fine if you're fighting US vs. Soviet armor vs. armor, for instance. They don't work well if you want to do a US attack against soviet airborne troops, for instance. The AI picks are paticularly poor if you are trying to do a guerilla or low intensity type operation, such as in Africa, Middle east, etc.

Some things you can do; make a custum campaign by creating a battle (in the battle editor), choose dates, countries, etc., choose a custom or random map, pick the AI forces for them, and then you can use the 'auto' button to automatically deploy the AI forces. You then save the scenario, add it to the custom campaign, and play.

Even better is to email the saved scenario to someone, and have them deploy the AI forces for you, which is what i generally do when playing a campaign.
Old July 14th, 2005, 06:18 PM

Corporal

My first experiment modifying OOBs. I changed dates for everything for Iraq which I thought would NOT be reasonably available in occupied Iraq. Many items had already been properly limited to an end date of April 2003. Left some items which could be readily stolen (jeeps and such). No combat aircraft, heavy artillery, APCs, etc.
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:36 PM

Corporal

This OOB has been modified from the original to disable heavy weapons such as aircraft, heavy artillery, tanks, APCs, and such from May 2003 onward. Some of these items properly ended April 2003 in the original OOB but many did not. Guerillas and their allies would not have probable access to these items within Iraq.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 367166-Obat017.zip (22.0 KB, 138 views)
Old July 16th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Corporal

Chaim_Krause is on a distinguished road

Quote:
AB said:Even better is to email the saved scenario to someone, and have them deploy the AI forces for you, which is what i generally do when playing a campaign.
That's a great idea! One of those, "Why didn't I think of that?!?" ideas.
Old July 16th, 2005, 05:08 PM

Corporal

AB is on a distinguished road

[/quote]

That's a great idea! One of those, "Why didn't I think of that?!?" ideas.

[/quote]

yea, i'm surprised more people don't do this. Once i did it, i couldn't go back to having the AI deploy, except if i'm playing as the Germans in WWII agaisnt the russians.

I'm currently playing a campaign in Taiwan, circa 2009. I have a US Airborne Battalion, and Plasmakrab has been setting up the Chinese forces. It is pretty fun not knowing what is in store, and the battles can be tailored to your ability level.

I'm more than willing to set up for someone if they're interested.

AB
Old July 17th, 2005, 07:52 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
DRG said:
The game doesn't do "guerrillas" well. It was never designed to except in scenarios. However, it may just be a slight picklist problem. IDK the answer offhand about the Vulcan AA ,it only enters the game Jan/2005. There are ZPU-4's bought as well. Both can be used in a ground role. If you're having a problem with the arty you can always push back the start date with MOBHack of unit 841 and 843 to say... 2010 and that should clear them from the picks. Same advice for the ASTROS if you don't want those showing up

Don
Yes - and the Iraq list post 2003 had stuff added for the givernment, but the pick seems to be doing things for the insurgents but with the arty coming from the government side. Problem seems to be the pick list and not the OOB itself (which covers both sides).

I'll investigate the Iraqui AI pick list when I have some time.

Andy
Old July 17th, 2005, 11:00 PM

Corporal

After I disabled everything unreasonable for guerillas. the AI seems to pick just fine. Nothing available over heavy mortars, about 120 mm.