.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 17th, 2005, 02:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

WBWilder is on a distinguished road
Default New Scenario for Win SPMBT

I've just placed my first scenario for SPMBT Windows version at the Wargamer Game Depot. It is titled, "Strangling the Snake."

Here is where you can find it.

http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/details.asp?sid=4014

My special thanks to Lars Remmen, Tom DeShetler and Stephen Porter (Skirmisher) for the hard work in testing the battle.

Afghanistan, March 4, 2004 atop a window mountain in knee deep snow, as a US Army Ranger Captain, Nathan A. Self, you'll face the Al Qaeda.

Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Scenario Designer
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: New Scenario for Win SPMBT

Any feedback or AAR would be appreciated and help me to do a better job next time. Many thanks.

WB

Wild Bill Wilder
Scenario Designer
Old July 17th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,425 Times in 2,696 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Excerpt from the text file......

"Captain Self, you are to to take the crest of the ridge and eliminate Al Qaeda existence.

Eliminating the existance of Al Qaeda may be a bit much to ask of a mere Captain. Perhaps you meant to write........ " take the crest of the ridge and eliminate Al Qaeda RESISTANCE."

??

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old July 17th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road

I took it to mean, eliminate the exsistance of al qaeda on the ridge.
Old July 17th, 2005, 03:35 PM

Corporal

loktarr is on a distinguished road

Captain Self is the man of the situation and a hero so don't laught at him, please...
Old July 17th, 2005, 04:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,425 Times in 2,696 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Score

US Army 1382
Afghan 363

Marginal victory

I took all three positions by turn 13 and destroyed all but one small Al Qaeda unit but that caused 38 Ranger casualties.

The flash team is very helpful

The scenario has a lot of "re-playability" to encourage player to try to lower those casualties figures. I think most people who try it will want to try it again.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

Good point, Don! I think I did mean resistance. But to win, you got 'em knock out of existence. Kinda reminds me of Denzel Washington in Courage Under Fire. He prays with his men, says amen, and then to them, "Kill 'em all!"

Thanks guys for playing it. The AARs are very helpful. They will guide me in the future.

I've played about a dozen times. Most of the testers have too. I've found out what good tactics are and what poor tactics are.

That is the beauty of this game done by SP-Camo. If you employ good sound military tactics, you will usually get the job done as it should be, provided the scenario designer takes those factors into account.

We're working on a new one. Give us a week or so, Desert Storm, 91..."Come to Papa Bear!"

I've been looking over the artwork on these vehicles. Fantastic...simply fantastic. They look like miniatures.

Wild Bill

Wild Bill Wilder
Scenario Designer
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:12 PM

Corporal

Nightblade is on a distinguished road

A report of my best result in the 3 attempts i made.

After a cautious observation from a Ranger Scout squad , locating a bunker on an elevation and some troops nearby (counting a squad in the trench), i placed carefully each ranger squad for a 3 ways assault.
Reinforcements appeared, with the Flash squad.

Each units went to their positions , under the, fortunately, inaccurate fire of an away OPFOR that seemed to have seen a movement of one of the squads.

-the main force in the middle
-a Ranger MG squad, a ranger squad , the Flash squad in the north
-a Ranger squad and the Scout squad in the south.

Once the Flash squad was in position, they launched their flame rockets directly in the bunker and the trench under it, while an air support attacked mostly with inefficiency , but all the US squads rushed in the opposite trench position, trying to take advantage of the panic this heavy attack caused.

Despite encountering a resistance from an away trench and an OPFOR squad (the one that has suspected our movements) , the assault was progressing and the trench was took while the bunker was destroyed.
The Flash squad fire another set of Flame rockets directly in the away trench , with the help of some MG covering fire, it obviously blinded them as the north team could advance even more to the next slopes.

A rain of bullets , coming from a nearby second bunker and some squads coming to the rangers position while they were already fighting made several casualties.

Another air strike , this time a very lot more efficient bombing run destroyed several of those enemy squads advancing toward us , eliminated the enemy Hq and put some silence to the second bunker.

The second part of the assault could then begin while the opfor was trying to reorganize themselves and fight back.

Fortunately the Rangers squads repeated assaults forced them to flee the battlefield and they achieved to secure the area and so the 2 first objectives.
A last minute resistance from the silenced bunker that suddenly shot again at the rangers units and an unspotted enemy squad delayed the progression and caused more casualties.

But , with 3 ranger machineguns squads continuously harassing the bunker, forcing the crew to hide , and the defeat of the OPFOR that came in surprise, some assault teams sneaked in and finally destroyed the enemy bunker.

The last objective was then secured by a Ranger squad that gave no chances to the fleeing survivors of the bunker in the last turn of the scenario.

A Marginal Victory that produced 15 Rangers casualties and 75 OPFOR ones.
1379 points for the US side and 255 points for the Afghanistan side.
Without the Flash squad, i would have not been able to secure the objectives without more ranger casualties, (as it happened in my previous attempt that ended in a Draw).

A very interesting scenario, giving the user different kind of tactic choices for more replayability.
Thank you for it.
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

You were very close to a decisve, NightBlade. You used sound tactics. On one play it was the air support (2nd Wave) that took out one strongpoint, the Flash Team the other.

Admittedly, as in war, there is an element of chance upon which the battle might hinge. Poor tactics, however, will guarantee a loss or at best a draw.

Its a great learning experience. I appreciate your sharing this with me, my friend.

Wild Bill

Wild Bill Wilder
Scenario Designer
Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

Be sure and try this one. Our second scenario on Desert Storm 1991, "Come to Papa Bear," is also now available.

http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Wild Bill

Wild Bill Wilder
Scenario Designer