.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old July 12th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Sergeant

serg3d is on a distinguished road
Default Generated campain 2006

After several try and experiments I've started a generated campain : 2006-2009 Russia (human) against USMC , Germany, Poland. Premise is - territorial dispute about Koenigsberg/Kaliningrad caused a series of border incidents (not very realistic, I know).
STarting core forces:
4 T90M+ (with Arena and advanced ERA)
4 BRM-3(VR) (recon vehicle with VRISS and simple ERA)
battery of Uragan (bomblets MRL)
battery of Pions (203mm SPA for pinpoint strikes)
According to Russian military doctrine the forces are artllery heavy. I'll locate the enemy with mobile forces and hit them with artillery.
First battle - meeting engaemnet vs Germany
I have bought a lot of ammo (2 trucks per Uragan and 1 per Pion), and some elements of the rifle company(Overstrength platoon) I've deployed rifle elements on the north to defend my v hexes and core to the south , aganst majority of the enmy hexes)
The plan was: If enemy attack north, suck him in into defence , suppress with arty and flank with core force.
If the enemy attcak south or both north and south just fight him head to head.
Well, it happnens the enmy strkie south. I've moved my recon BRM forward, and one by one lost them all. At least half of them due to my incompetence - I hoped that if enemy havn't shot at them he didn't see them. Wrong. Another really stupid move - after I lost one BRM I moved another into the same place trying to locate its killer, hoping for its 50 vision. Well I just lost another.
Tanks however did the job. One by one they killed Leopards1A's in long range gunfights and fixed infantry in place, allowing me to put Uragan to use. Pions were not expirienced enough and still couldn't hit a s**t.
Marginal victory - all hexes taken, 4 BRM lost.
Old July 12th, 2005, 07:36 PM

Sergeant

Default Re: Generated campain 2006

Next battle:
Special battle - attack vs Poland, no core rebuild points available.
Auxillary forces:
One Mi-28 (without ATGM)
S-300 SAM section
BTR-80A rifle platoon
18 ammo trucks + 2 ammo dump
Core force
4 T90M+
3 damaged BRM (171 dmg)
3 infantry SAM SA-18 (fogot to mention them earlier)
some half-dead scouts
I've used helo carefully to expose all SAMs, and suppressed them with my arty. After that used helo as spotter at will.
Killed three polish T72 without problem, but Leopard2A killed my T90. Damaged BRM couldn't shoot, but were of some use,mostly to capture hexes. The helo killed both Leopards with autocannon. Polish infantry put a stiff resistance, but were overwhelmed by my remaning tanks, BTRs and Uragans. I've used Uragans for close support and killed section of my own infantry in the process.
Marginal victory - all hexes taken, one tank lost, one BTR damaged, some infantry killed.
Old July 13th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Sergeant

Next two battles:
Assault vs Poland
I've upgraded my scout to three RPO Shmel and two Heavy ATGM Khrisantema.
I've never had succesful assaults with maineclearing, only with Air/Helo drop, so now I desided to try direct approach.
Bought 6 T72 ERA mineclearing tanks, 2 S-300 SAM, and the rest - nine(!) platoons of para-pioneers with trucks. I did a big mistake - I bought cheapest pioneers, and they happens to be armed with AKSU (which is erroneously called SMG - it's not, it is an assult rifle) and some fuel-air RPO, with AKSU range 4 and RPO range 2. Not very effective troops.
Mineclearing tanks started to make a path through the mine along the road, with swamp on the both side. The road went to the only bridge through the stream. Forturnatly only two SPAA guarded the bridge - my tanks made a short work of them. Gunship was damaged and run away. Minecleaners made a path to the clear patch , directly connected to the cluster of victory hexes. Trucks with peoneers followed, doing nothing. On the cleared patch, before the forest surraunding v hexes I tried to deploy pioneers. But they were slow on top of everytheeng. So I moved my trusty BRM to the v hexes...Surprise! mines everythere. Poineers failed to detect them, minecleaners as well. Hidden infantry started popping all around. Bloody mess started. I moved everething forward (Pioneers stuck far behind), but two of the three dug in Leopards 2A, which supposed to be suppresed (they were pinned) started shooting as soon as I was out of the forest. Bam, bam, two minecleaners down. I wait a turn and managed to kill one Leopard with arty (Pion). Moved core T90+ - Bam, T90 no more. Moved second (it's turn 26 out of 28, and mines everythere) - another down. Third - Bam, no effect, Leopard Killed. Result - 2 T90M+ , 1 BRM lost, all hexes taken, some mincleaners tanks lost too, marginal victory. Poineers were not used.

Now - Poland on the attack. A new addition to the core force - K-50 gunship. All support points spent on the ammo.
Position is very good for defence - I deployed my forces in some depth, but not very deep. Put Khrisantemas on the points, behind them RPO, Tanks and BRM. Send K-50 to scout.
Soon with K-50 and tanks I've spotted a huge crowd of Polish
armor , mix of T72, Leopard2, APC, APC-ATGM. They were moving straight into my crossing fields of fire. Uragan, Pions, T90 and gunship and one Khrisantema all were able to hit them. Soon there was one huge spot of burning wrecks across the road. Gunship was damaged and run away. Polish also deployed some light tanks and leopards on other directions, but they weren't a problem too. Some tanks actually managed to penetrate first line of defence only to be hit by RPO Shmel, and finished with T90. My losses were neglegible. Desicive victory.
Next buttle will be assault vs USMC.
upgrades: another two T90M+ bought, one SPAA-SAM Tunguska.
Infantry SAM upraded to SA-18s.
Auxillary forces: 9 T80 mineclearing tanks, 2 poineers (RPO Shmel) platoons with helos, S-300 SAM, ammo.
Old July 15th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Sergeant

Assault vs USMC
beside abovementioned forses I also had 2 UAV and SEAD element
The plan was: the west-east road on the north will be a main axis of attack. Then air defence suppressed enough the helo make a drop on the south victory hexes.
The first 10 turns went more or less acoording to plan. I have lost attack helo(damaged by infantry) and one BRM to enemy mortars. I've used SEAD and UAV to locate enemy SAM and SPAA, and used survived SEAD to absorb all enemy stingers. My Pions suppressed USMC Abrams defending south hexes and I did a successful helo drop. On the north minecleaners were making path from north to ceneter slowly.
I had not enough infantry to protect captured hexes, and that was beginning of my problems. I've left some tanks behind in case of contrattack. Around turn 20 marines started move en masse toward my captured hexes in the center/north. As I've started to counter them with tanks I got the same problem as in the previous assault - mycleaners failed to loctae all the mines and my tanks got immobilized. I had to divert tanks from the point of the attack and part of them got immobilized too.
On the sough everething went according to plan though - paratroopers and arty killed half of the abrams and routed/pinned other half. In the center and north tanks and marines fought to standstill until the end of turns.
Result: One tank, two BRM lost, all hexes taken, marginal victory. ( all my armor but two tanks were immobilized at the end)
Old July 15th, 2005, 05:40 PM

Sergeant

Meeting engagement vs Germany (City)
Core upgrades: 2 fire support team : RPO Shmel x 2 + BMP3M(VR)
City represented as a set of rectagular blocks with grid of straight street between them. There is the East-West road through the small hamlet on the north, plane between the road and city and some fores at the west side of the map (german side)
Auxillary - ammo, UAV, 1 SEAD plane, one observer biplane
I put four core T90 on the plane between north road and the city, BRMs and two remaning tanks on the streets, and fire support BMPs on the north edge of the city - between the city and the plane. Gunship watch over hamlet and north road.
As the battle started group of German Boxer APC moved out of the hamlet. My gunship and tanks started killing. SEAD plane and observation biplane were shot down, but no SAM shoot on the gunship.
BRMs and tanks in the city stamble into some infantry. One BRM was lost. Gunship continue its work on APCs from hamlet. German jaeger company started moving from the west forest through the north plane, into the fire of my tanks. BMPs unloaded RPO Shmel teams and started fight infantry on the top edge of the city. BRMs also unloaded it's teams and fought infantry in the city blocks. One tank skipped through all of the city and come the the forest on it's west edge. Enemy Mistral III ATGM started popping out. I moved tank around the west edge of the city, trying to locate enemy headquater, SAM and arty. Tank stamble on the Mistral, and routed it. But on the next turn routed mistral rallied and killed tank. I moved BRM out of the city and killed offending mistral. Shmel teams killed remaning mistral in the city, but one jeep-mounted mistral fired from the forest and killed another BRM. I covered all fores by Uragan fire. Mistral jeep was destroyed.Tanks on the plane finished jaeger company and with the help of gunship killed enemy APC/infantry in north hamlet.BRM which avenged my tank located and killed german headquater and SAM's.
Desicive victory. One tank and two BRM lost. One Khrisantema team lost in the BRM.
Upgrades:
K-52 gunship and another two RPO Shmel/BMP-3M fire support team, ammo carriers now included into core.
Old July 20th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Sergeant

Well, I gave up on the next scenario - assault vs German. It was a north-south line of hills , with 1000-2000m open plane before it. There were a lot of invisible Milan ATGM entenched on the slopes. There was only one narrow path wich was less open to ATGM fire on the north, and of cause mines and barbed wire. I did not have enough infantry for infantry assault, could not use my tanks and APC because of atgm and did not have airborne forces. Attempt to suppress ATGM with arty were not successful. After two attempt I gave up. I probaly could get marginal victory, but would lose big part of my core. The mistake was in the core composition - I should have either strong infantry, including couple engineer platoons, or paratroopers with helos.
So I dropped this scenario and changed my core composition:
Insteadd of RPO Shmel/BMP-3M(VR) and ammo I get two paratroopers platoons with two Mi-17H, and several para scout teams.
After that I got assault vs USMC on the same map as in previous post. Auxillary: a whole BTR rifle company, too keep captured hexes, 9 T72M (Advanced ERA) minecleners, SEAD, 2 UAV and ammo.
The same tacktic as in the previous assault on the same map - exhaust USMC stingers with SEAD, take out SPAA with artillery, mine cleaners advance on the north, leaving BTR+rifles to defend captured squares, and two para platoons + scouts make helo drop in south. All went according to plan, armor cleared mines on the north and fought it's way to south, paratroopers foughts their way to north and meet each others in the middle, at turn 30 out od 31. The BTR rifles did their job - successfuly defend captured hexes then hidden marines started popping in. The only problem was - there were unproportional concentration of mines on the north, I lost some BTRs, and T90 to mines despite minecleaners. I would be a lot better off if I moved minecleaners from south and made airdrop on the north.
Losses: some scout teams, para-snipers, couple of auxillary minecleaners nad BTRs. Marginal victory.