.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old December 17th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

WBWilder is on a distinguished road
Default At Their Finest #2 Now ready!

I'm pleased to say that the final Marines at the Chosin - East Hill scenario is now up and running.

http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/details.asp?sid=4174

Design: Wild Bill Wilder
bwilder@bellsouth.net

Testers: Sgt Walrus, Andrew Weeble Weaver, Tom DeShetler, Massimo Rocca, Fabio Prado

Player Notes:

This battle is suitable for a 2 player game, but Chinese must be set at 80 percent efficiency. If played solitaire, take the USMC side.

This is a small piece of the action that took place during the early morning hours of December 6th.1950

In this scenario, you are the commander of 2nd Platoon, Able Company of the 5th Marine Regiment. The rest of your company is stretched to the west of you.

You and your platoon are part of the rear guard for the massive column of Marines leaving Hagaru and
heading for the coast. You are late arriving to your position due to your guide getting lost in the dark.

You are going to need to hurry to get into place before the enemy is upon you.

You will find that you are heavily outnumbered as masses of Chinese troops storm your defenses.

The purpose of this scenario, in addition to a challenge, is to show the effectiveness of the Marine
concept of the "Fire Team."

Your forces are divided into fire teams from each squad. This was the basic Marine TOE for the squad at
this point in the war. Each fire team consisted of four men with a leader for each, and another of the
four who carried a Browning Automatic Rifle.

This organizational change was effected during the last year of the Second World War and helped to keep
the normal rifle squad well controlled and much more effective.

The Chinese after being run off East Hill are returning in great strength to retake the Hill and get off some rounds at the departing Marine column.

Your task is to hold the base of East Hill at it's southernmost point, near the MSR (Main Supply Route)
leading south.

Historical Background:

During the early morning hours of December 6th, the 5th, 7th and what part of the 1st Regiments remained
in Hagaru-ri began their perilous journey south.

1st Battalion, 5th Marines, including companies Able, Baker, Charlie, and the weapons platoon, had taken
up blocking positions down the slope of East Hill all the way to the other side of the road. When the

Chinese came, the night was exceptionally black. Riflemen of Able heard noises to their left. There were stacks of crates and barrels in that area, supplies that could not be carried with them and were destined to be destroyed, once the Marines were safely out of Hagaru.

When some of the riflemen fired, a fire was started among those supplies and munitions. The flicker of
the flames revealed hundreds of Chinese of the 74th Regiment, 59th Division, shoulder to shoulder, coming
straight for them. They had come quietly, with no mortar barrage, no whistles or bugles and no shouting.

It was the same along the entire line up to the heights of East Hill. The Marines again opened fire.
Tanks, bringing up the rear of the column proceeding along the road, headed south, detoured and backed up

the infantry. 2nd Lieutenant Abell had watched as a large group of Chinese near the road assembled for an
attack. All of his men were busy fighting and he had no one to meet this new threat.

Running to the road, he grabbed the intercom phone at the rear of the tank. Clambering aboard as it slowly lumbered down the road, he began beating on the turret hatch. Finally it cracked about an inch.
A voice inside echoed, -Who’s there?- Feeling himself to be the butt of an out of place -knock, knock-
joke, the officer shouted, -You idiot, open up!- The tank commander looked relieved -What’s going on?- he
asked.

-Do you think you can hit those people over there by that embankment?- as Abell pointed to the Chinese.
-Oh sure,- replied the tanker, -nothing to it.- The turret motors whirred electrically as Abell dropped
to the ground and scrambled to the other side of the roadway. The 90mm gun was lowered a few degrees.

There was a brief pause, then a -carumph- as the tank’s main gun barked once and again.

The Chinese in the distance literally disappeared in the resultant explosions. The tank commander smiled,
waved to Abell, buttoned up again, and moved on down the road.

Once the column was on its way, the remainder of 1st Battalion loaded up and then hooked up with the tail
end of the line of trucks, infantry and tanks headed south.

Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Scenario Designer
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:31 AM

Sergeant

junk2drive is on a distinguished road
Default Re: At Their Finest #2 Now ready!

DV
1347 to 106
Tank had 6 kills
I'm not sure that I learned the fire team concept. Seemed like a battle of attrition. I lost a lot of men but held the flags.
Thanks again Doc WBW PHD (posts hard designs)
Old December 18th, 2005, 02:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

Couldn't be too hard with a butt-whipping like the one you just gave the Chinese! Great fight, J2K. The testers and I did not do that well.

Sounds to me like you have the concept down pretty good. It is an attrition battle, but then all of them are. Who can outshoot, outsmart and outlast the other guy.

Placing your men into positions where they can do the most good is the role of a good commander. That is what you did.

Nice job. Your casualties must have been light.

You are lucky "Dumbo" survived. There were some bazookas and demo charges out there and if there is too much smoke you could find yourself minus one tank.

Thanks for the update. Maybe I'll make the next one a little harder!

Wild Bill Wilder
Scenario Designer
Old December 18th, 2005, 02:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

I'll take that PHD, about the only one I could ever earn anyway! Thank you sir!

Wild Bill Wilder
Scenario Designer
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:50 PM

Sergeant

junk2drive is on a distinguished road

Casualties were 42 to 136 and one mortar each.
I gave the scouts a 3 hex range and sent them north to the high ground. I moved all but the mortars east to the first high hexes between the flags. From there it was a long range firefight as the enemy came at me. Dumbo saved the day. The scouts spotted the AT team taking aim at Dumbo and a squad took care of them. Not much smoke used by either side.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 03:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

You did very well! This can be a tough little scenario. One indeed does learn quickly to appreciate the value of a single piece of armor and will guard it zealously.

Its a little different approach than when you have a couple of dozen tanks and can afford to lose a few. Old Dumbo quickly becomes his worth in ear weight.

WB

Wild Bill Wilder
Scenario Designer