World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old June 16th, 2009, 02:48 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road
Default inf assault

Is it normal for an inf squad to assault twice on its own? For example I move a vehicle next to it (say the inf squad is hidden), and I see them attacking with rifles like assault, killing all or half of the inf carried in the vehicle (if it's apc), then immediately after without me having time to react, also assaulting (and destroying) the vehicle. With 100% success rate too.

Inf squad in question US Army Rangers June 2009.
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Sergeant

valo2000 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: inf assault

i guess us aarmy rangers have very high experience and moral ratings.
Assaulting adds surpression. if moral is high enough they willnot get pinned by this surpression.

if they are not pinned they can assault again even if propability is lower.
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:56 AM

Corporal

Koh is on a distinguished road

Happens to me pretty much every time a loaded APC is assaulted. Interestingly enough the loaded infantry always seems to die, even if the APC is only immobilised.
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Yes, it just doesn't feel right. This is the first time I face US army rangers and the first time I keep having 100% success of assaults against my apcs with at least half the inf getting killed. This at the first assault, as I said earlier, immediately as soon as the first assault is over the second happens and kills off the APC which is not destroyed in the first.
I was just curious for both of them. First about the success rate and inf casualties and the ability of them to automaticaly assault twice. Glad to see I am not the only one noticing this.
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
I was just curious for both of them. First about the success rate and inf casualties and the ability of them to automaticaly assault twice. Glad to see I am not the only one noticing this.
I wouldn't say they automatically can assault twice.
It depends on suppression after the first assault and whether they can rally enough for a second assault.
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:15 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Its a suppresion thing.
So unit in questionan US Rangers are elite & a big squad so have a higher chance of success (more men to distract). If they fail will be suppressed & thats assulting over.
If they pass doing any sort of damage they are as they would be pretty pleased with themselves & more than willing to have another go. If they now have another go at a previosly targeted (unsure) suppressed or damaged vehicle there success rate has gone through the roof or more likely his.
Suppresion only jumps if they fail.

If however you are saying you moved a vehicle 1 hex & it is attacked 2 times thats 2 squads you failed to see.
Op Fire is one round of shots per unit for an action, move or fire so 2 units reacted.

Does that make sense?

Last edited by Imp; June 16th, 2009 at 09:22 AM..
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

When a loaded APC is attacked the first thing the game does (due to game mechanics) is offload the infantry.

The infantry suddenly appearing in observation range an enemy unit (in this case Rangers) triggers an oppertunity fire.

Since the offloading unit is partially supressed - due to the offloading, considered "in the clear" - due to the offloading, and at point-blank range they get the sh*t shot outta them.

THEN !

The enemy unit checks its morale and assaults the APC.

Simply a matter of game mechanics...specifically the order in which actions/fire are resolved.

This help?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:30 PM

Corporal

Koh is on a distinguished road

Except that APCs don't unload infantry when attacked. That only happens when the infantry is riding on top of the vehicles. My money is on this is intended behaviour and the game just represents it in a somewhat confusing manner. But then again I'm not exactly sure why killing the tracks of a CV90 kills everyone in the passenger compartment.

And I'm gonna have to vote against this being related to the experience levels much, given how I've had this happen to me the same way fighting against 60 experience rookies and 90 experience smooth operators. And I could just be having bad luck, but if the assault succeeds the carried infantry always dies, irregardles of what happens to the vehicle.
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh View Post
Except that APCs don't unload infantry when attacked. That only happens when the infantry is riding on top of the vehicles. My money is on this is intended behaviour and the game just represents it in a somewhat confusing manner. But then again I'm not exactly sure why killing the tracks of a CV90 kills everyone in the passenger compartment.

And I'm gonna have to vote against this being related to the experience levels much, given how I've had this happen to me the same way fighting against 60 experience rookies and 90 experience smooth operators. And I could just be having bad luck, but if the assault succeeds the carried infantry always dies, irregardles of what happens to the vehicle.
WOW you guys really pay attention to what happens possibly. Not given much thought but I am behind Suhiir here 95% of the time they do indeed unload. Makes perfect sense its not a healthy option but at that range they know an assualt is on the cards so try to protect it. Plus its safer than staying in the APC thats probably about to go bang.
So sequence of events is unit unloads & gets shreded then assualt occurs which is why I asked 2 distinct attacks or one.

As to infantry taking damage when the vehicle is unharmed imobillised.
Track hit? what about drivers compartment, transmision, engine etc they might stop it.
Hiting the passenger compartment but missing the parts previosly unharmed would kill passengers but leave the APC driveable.

So the infantry nearly always dies or gets mauled pretty bad sounds spot on to me they are trying to exit at point blank range & somehow I think the other guy will be spraying the exit with everything hes got.

At 2 hexes then they probably dont unload as the safest option might be to stay on board & hope the driver gets you out of there.
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:08 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
When a loaded APC is attacked the first thing the game does (due to game mechanics) is offload the infantry.

The infantry suddenly appearing in observation range an enemy unit (in this case Rangers) triggers an oppertunity fire.

Since the offloading unit is partially supressed - due to the offloading, considered "in the clear" - due to the offloading, and at point-blank range they get the sh*t shot outta them.

THEN !

The enemy unit checks its morale and assaults the APC.

Simply a matter of game mechanics...specifically the order in which actions/fire are resolved.

This help?
So

friendly apc moves into a hex
hidden rangers assault, damage or not the apc, but infantry squad in the apc gets heavily damaged or destroyed and gets out of the apc.
Rangers attack assault again and destroy the apc.
so at the end of that one hex movement by the apc, the rangers have assaulted twice, killed off both inf and apc.

The above is game mechanics and normal? I just want to know to change my tactics.