.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 8th, 2005, 12:47 PM

First Lieutenant

YellowCactus is on a distinguished road
Default Advanced Teleporting Strategy For Dummies.

Hi All.
I don't think I've ever actually started a thead before, so here goes my question. Teleporting/Fairy Trod and the death/astral army moving spells have great potential for trapping your enemy. I want to focus on using it defensively.
If my castle is under siege, I teleport in 20 mages. Do the mages go into the castle, or fight during the magic Phase? I think they go into the castle....the same with 'factional summons' like Horde from hell, and Angel hosts. But neutral summons like Horrors would cause a battle during the magic phase.
So.....my challenge to 'anyone' with solid knowledge about "phases" and "Spell Results" please clairify the results of using these spells.
I know 'Pangaea Jeff' is good at strategically re-locating his Moloch and crew at key times. So, anyone with experience, give examples.
Thanks, yc
Old September 8th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

ioticus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advanced Teleporting Strategy For Dummies.

Great question. I'll be eagerly awaiting the replies.
Old September 8th, 2005, 01:35 PM

First Lieutenant

Also....as a bonus question...
If I summon 5 Horrors to one province, will they fight together like ghost riders do, or do Horrors attack each other or fight in individual battles?
-yc
Old September 8th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
YellowCactus said:
Hi All.
I don't think I've ever actually started a thead before, so here goes my question. Teleporting/Fairy Trod and the death/astral army moving spells have great potential for trapping your enemy. I want to focus on using it defensively.
If my castle is under siege, I teleport in 20 mages. Do the mages go into the castle, or fight during the magic Phase? I think they go into the castle....the same with 'factional summons' like Horde from hell, and Angel hosts. But neutral summons like Horrors would cause a battle during the magic phase.
So.....my challenge to 'anyone' with solid knowledge about "phases" and "Spell Results" please clairify the results of using these spells.
I know 'Pangaea Jeff' is good at strategically re-locating his Moloch and crew at key times. So, anyone with experience, give examples.
Thanks, yc
Magic move summons that join your side go in the castle, horrors, ghost riders, ect. go outside.

EDIT: The horrors will all fight on one side.
Old September 8th, 2005, 02:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

Turin is on a distinguished road

teleporting mages go into the besieged castle with defend orders. should the castle be stormed in the same turn, they´d obviously fight.
Neutral summons do indeed cause a fight with the besiegers.

All neutral summons stack so you can cast an attack consisting of a horror, a lesser horror, a phantasmal attack and ghostriders and they will happily fight together.
Old September 8th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Captain

Jurri is on a distinguished road

Maybe I'll summarize the structure of this part of the turn, based on how I understand it:
1) Mages cast spells in random order. This can mean that an enemy casting seeking arrow on the province your mage was when casting teleport could still hit the mage. This phase is of special importance if domes are being cast in the province. Magical assasinations happen at the time the spell is cast, so the victims won't partake in any battles if they die.
2) Astral Corruption triggers, if active. Yes, this happens before any "scheduled" battles take place in the province.
3) Teleporting forces and forces that were previously hiding in the province or neighboring provinces attack the province. If multiple nations have units coming in, the order of the attacks is the same as in the regular battle-phase. The teleporters will again only attack outside the castle. Note that in a siege, the defender's teleporters appear inside the castle.
4) Neutral magical forces attack the province. Spells cast by different players stack. Note that this phase is distinctly later than the spellcasting. This means that every teleporter of the province owner will be in the province already, with default orders (defend/siege depending on the situation). This means that you can't teleport forces into a province you own to defend it if there is a castle present, as the forces will remain inside the castle. The neutral forces only attack forces outside castles.
5) Retreating from the magical battles happens. This can mean that an army will partake in multiple battles in different provinces during a single turn. Also of note is that even if you secure retreat routes during the mundane battle-phase, if you have forces that retreated in the magical battles and didn't have a retreat route they will die.
6) Assassinations occur.
7) Regular battles/movements occur. Note that all units move at the same time; this means that movements between friendly provinces can't be intercepted in this phase. There's a chance that two armies belonging to different sides and moving to each other's starting point collide.

EDIT x?: Edited yet again to make it more clear/correct. Damn you atul for making me realize the error in my ways!
Old September 8th, 2005, 02:52 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

I think scouts can still attack before Ghost Riders; at least, I seem to recall such things happening in Song of the Blade. It seems rather logical, considering that the scout is already in place, whereas Ghost Riders need a little while to be up and running.
Old September 8th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Captain

True; I've also seen this happen when a scout attacks from an adjacent province, in which case it's not quite as sensible. But, I guess it's true for newer patches too, then.

EDIT: To clarify, provinces under enemy control; attacking from your own provinces this shouldn't occur.
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:02 PM

First Lieutenant

Thanks all.
Jurri. One question. Mages teleported into a besieged province by the defending player will go directly into the castle? True?
Also, I have seen in the latest patch scouts with attack order (who were already hiding in the province) get killed by the summoned horror. You will not gain the province, unless your scout defeats the horror.
-yc
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Captain

Yeah, directly into the castle.