.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:20 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default DAR: Russia 2

US vs. Russia

Mission: Meeting Engagement, Russia (that's all it says), 6/2009 - scattered objectives.

Enemy: Reinforced Battalion - 3-4 Armor Co, 2-3 Mech Infantry Co, 2-3 Artillery Btry, plus SAM, AAA, ATGM, etc. Average force experience, ~70.

Terrain: Map = 100x100. Grassland and a large plateau dominating the northern 75% of the area between the LDs Part of the plateau extends into the Russian deployment zone. The top of the plateau has a lot of gullies with rough and impassible terrain. There are a few low spots out in the grassy areas. They provide cover against units not on the plateau, but you have to search for the spots. There aren't many. Visibility = 78.

Troops: Battalion sized Task Force - 1 NG Armor Co. (14xM1A2), 3 Mech Infantry Co. (NG Infantry in M113A3 APCs), 3 Artillery Btry (On board, 8xM109A6s and 4xM1129s), 2 SP-SAM sections, 2 SPAA sections, 2 AH-64D attack helos, plus recon, ammo supply and a few other assorted HHC units. UAV Recon Plane. Average force experience, ~80.

Time: 19 Turns

Analysis

Long range weaponry will rule this map. There is practically no place to hide. The only exception is around the base of the plateau. Snuggling up close to that and controlling the edge that overlooks that base is critical.

It will be difficult to control the top of the plateau, but that isn't really important. Contesting enemy control should be good enough. Since some of the plateau starts in the Russian deployment zone, they have good positions for ATGMs and SAMs and will be able to start with units there. That puts me in more of a role as the attacker in this battle, but the AI won't sit tight. I expect it to move forward and that will create possibilities.

Plan

The first part of my plan is to move in close to the plateau for protection. Almost all of my units will move forward to the western slopes. As quickly as possible, I need to get eyes on top of the plateau. It's very difficult to stop attacks I don't see coming. My UAV will come into play here. It will make a quick run along my LD after the AI first move. With high visibility, anything the enemy has moved, I should see it and maybe some stuff that doesn't. Even if I lose the UAV and I probably will, the intel I get should be priceless.

The next step will be to get some Javelins up top. Their primary role will be to engage any enemy vehicles moving on the plateau. While the Javelins provide over watch on the plateau, infantry will infiltrate via the gullies. During the initial few turns, my armor will provide over watch on the plateau edge from the grassland to the west. They will easily dispatch any fast APCs that make it there.

While everyone gets into position around and on the plateau, recon elements will watch the plains to the south. Nothing will sneak up here. If the enemy makes any pushes in the plains, armor and Javelins near the southwest corner of the plateau should have little difficulty dealing with them. Two gunships I have will also help in this area, but won't be able to stray out from behind the plateau if they expect to live. That probably applies to all vehicles as well. Additional armor will move to the southwest corner to provide assistance if necessary. It is unlikely I will move them to the top of the plateau unless I feel it can be done safely. I might test it by sending Gomer up in an M113 before I move any armor up there, should I decide to do that.

The only area of real concern is ammo resupply. My heavy artillery has deployed in low spots along the back edge of the map. Once they have to relocate, smoke will probably be required to make the move safe, because the low spots are too small to provide relocation possibilities there. Normally, I would have ammo tracks within 500m of the artillery, but in this case, they would be in the open. Ammo resupply will stay close to the Javelins since they should be more active than usual. If necessary, I will just run my artillery off the back edge of the map if no safe relocation routes are available.

Expectations are the AI will get slaughtered running carelessly in the open on this map, as long as missiles hold out. While capturing all the objectives isn't practical on a map like this, infantry moving through the gullies should be able to capture all the flags not currently controlled by the enemy. The enemy may get there first, but I should be able to take them away. As for flags they already control, not worth sacrificing vehicles to get to them and the infantry isn't fast enough.

I've attached a map with my basic plan outlined on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plateau Attack.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	8395  
Old June 24th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Captain

Default Re: DAR: Russia 2

Turn 0 (Prep Fire)

No prep fire.

This is always the most tense part of the battle because a plan can be ruined by an artillery strike on your initial position. Some prep fire can be avoided by knowing AI tendencies. It hits roads, especially close to the LD. Objectives are typically pounded if the mission is a delay or defend, especially true if the objectives are grouped. Artillery can also hit along the LD, but this is to a lesser extent.

There being no roads, the objectives being scattered and the mission being a meeting engagement, avoiding prep fire is basically dumb luck. There are ways to minimize damage if it comes. Having transports, APCs and trucks, unloaded will prevent the whole unit from being capped if artillery destroys the transport. The down side to this is close artillery that doesn't destroy an APC might still inflict casualties on the dismounted leg units. Another down side is there is a delay loading everything into transports once the first turn of prep is done.

To me, this is the most difficult part of the battle because it's the part I have the least control over. This time, nothing to worry about.

Casualties

Friendly: Zero.

Enemy: Zero.
Old June 24th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Captain

Turn 1

Dust!! I missed that little tidbit in my analysis. If the visibility is above 60, there will be dust if a vehicle moves more than 2 or 3 hexes. I've got lots of dust trails because I was moving fast to get to the edge of the plateau. The enemy should target those very soon. It works both ways, however. I can see enemy dust trails also. They are confined to generally the center of the plateau and there aren't many. No movement in the plains to the south.

As expected, my UAV didn't get far and I didn't find out much. I know what is at the head of the dust trails, but no information on units that didn't move. It was taken out with one SAM.

Casualties

Friendly: UAV destroyed, zero casualties.

Enemy: Zero.
Old June 24th, 2009, 12:06 PM

Captain

Turn 2

I've got eyes up on the plateau now. Enemy advancing in battalion strength. No activity in the plains.

As expected, the enemy hit some of the dust trails with artillery. I wasn't sure if they would hit the head, tail or somewhere in the middle. It tended more in the middle, but some landed at the head and tail also. Dismounted infantry at the head took some damage. Retreating M113s weren't hit. They will slow down to leave the dust trail behind them without adding anymore.

I plotted artillery as well. Only one round came in this turn, but it was a good one. Took out three enemy APCs.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 10 casualties.

Enemy: Three MT-LBM-6MA APCs destroyed, estimated 25 enemy casualties.
Old June 24th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Captain

Turn 3

Some Javelins are up top on the plateau, but I'm waiting for the enemy to get a bit closer. They only have four missiles each and are seeing 50% hit chances or less. I want things a touch higher than that. One of my gunships destroyed a BMP-2 that blundered into its line of sight, however.

One thing I considered is moving is slow for the infantry in the gullies. It may make getting to more distant flags a bit difficult. Once the enemy presence on the plateau is cut down some, my infantry will advance up top, but next to the gullies in case they have to duck in quickly.

A few more casualties from enemy artillery, but most units have cleared the impact zone. They did do a good job of tearing up the countryside however.

My artillery came in and hit the enemy hard. From the look of it, 10 APCs were destroyed. There were some other units damaged as well and a lot of enemy vehicles are routed because of all the destroyed units around them.

Casualties

Enemy: One BRDM-2, three BMP-2 and six MT-LBM-6MA APCs destroyed, estimated 60 enemy casualties.
Old June 24th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Captain

Turn 4

Javelins are in a major long range battle with the Russian forces. Many enemy vehicles destroyed and some Javelin teams as well. Ammo resupply is moving forward but it's going to be difficult to resupply the Javelins. The enemy artillery was quiet this turn so I expect it to come in on those teams next turn or on my artillery.

I should relocate my artillery right now, but they are heavily engaged against the enemy right now. If they move and the enemy gets a turn of rest, it might get even more difficult for my forces up top. On top of that, I just spotted a tank park on the plateau back in the enemy deployment zone. They are just sitting there. The target is too good to pass up.

To try to divert enemy artillery to other places, recon elements turned a few flags in the plains. I've also got some M113s moving fast around the southwest edge of the plateau, intentionally kicking up dust. Hopefully, it works.

Casualties

Enemy: Estimated eight BRDM-2, eight BMP-2, three BMP-1 and one MT-LBM-6MA APCs destroyed, one T-72BM and one T-90A tanks destroyed, estimated 100 enemy casualties.
Old June 24th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Captain

Turn 5

Light turn compared to the last one. Only a few enemy vehicles destroyed and my Javelin teams took some casualties as well. Some enemy vehicles also immobilized by artillery.

The deception tactics seem to be working at the moment. While the enemy did drop artillery on some Javelin positions, they also hit around one flag I turned with FASCAM.
Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 5 casualties.

Enemy: One BRDM-2, one BMP-1 and one T-90A destroyed, estimated 20 enemy casualties.
Old June 24th, 2009, 02:41 PM

Captain

Turn 6

I've given up on the gullies for moving my infantry. Way too slow. Since the enemy forces are in turmoil, it's fairly safe to move in the open on the plateau. There are pockets of Resistance, but not much.

Enemy artillery is still dropping around my Javelin teams that engaged. Still taking casualties there, but they got an immobilized T-90A.

My artillery started coming in on the tank park. Two T-72BMs destroyed and four other tanks immobilized. One 4-gun battery is out of cluster munitions, so will relocate. The other is going to keep dropping on the tank park. There are 11 live tanks there still and if they don't move this turn, they will really get hit hard.

Casualties

Enemy: Two T-72BM and one T-90A tanks destroyed, estimated 20 enemy casualties.
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:15 PM

Captain

Turn 7

Infantry running into a bit of resistance in the middle due to two BMP-2s and several squads they dropped. One BMP destroyed. Exchanging small arms fire with the enemy infantry.

Destroyed a several enemy tanks, APCs and one Zeus by a combination of Javelins and artillery. One T-72BM destroyed in the tank park. It had been immobilized. Another one was immobilized.

My dust raising M113s are beating a quick retreat. They were trying to attract enemy artillery, but the enemy is responding with two T-72BMs. That's not a fair fight. I'm going to try to get them with some Javelin teams I moved in.

I noticed three abandoned enemy tanks in the middle. They were immobilized by artillery and the crews must have bailed out. I'm not sure if the crews are alive or not.

Casualties

Enemy: One T-72BM, one T-90A, one MT-LBM-6MA, one BMP-2 and one ZSU-23-4M4 destroyed, estimated 20 enemy casualties.
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Captain

Turn 8

Got the second BMP-2 in the middle. Now it's my six squads against two enemy squads. I think I've got an edge

The two T-72BMs must really want my M113s. They blew pasted an unturned flag and are heading west on the southern slope of the plateau. I moved in some infantry to form a quick line while moving two platoons of M1A2s and my two gunships for support. As the tanks rounded the corner, my gunships hit them with 30mm, but they are still alive.

Big score in the enemy tank park. Capped six enemy tanks there and immobilized another. There are five known live tanks there and they are all immobilized. Time for my other 4-gun battery to relocate.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 5 casualties.

Enemy: One T-72BM, two T-90As, three T-62MVs one BMP-2 and destroyed, estimated 20 enemy casualties.