.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:56 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default DAR: Yom Kippor War - Sinai

Egypt vs. Israel

Mission: Meeting Engagement, Sinai, 10/1973 - scattered objectives.

Enemy: Battalion - 1-2 Armor Co, 1 Mech Infantry Co, 1-2 Infantry Co, 2-3 Artillery Btry, plus SAM, AAA, etc. Average force experience, ~80.

Terrain: Map = 100x100. Desert terrain with lots of hills. There are a total of 15 peaks on the battle field ranging in heights from 20 to 50. The majority of the map is elevated to one extent or another. Also present is soft sand which will hinder rapid vehicle advances. To a much smaller extent, rough terrain is present providing a few defensive positions on each hill. Hardly worth noting are two clusters of desert palms in the friendly deployment zone. Each cluster is circular with about a 300m radius and moderate tree density. There are no roads and no water formations. Visibility = 34.

Troops: Mech Infantry Battalion w/Armor Co and divisional attachments - 1 Armor Co. (10xT-62), 3 Mech Infantry Co. (BTR-50PK APCs) w/2 Infantry SAM Sections each, 1 Artillery Btry (Off board, 6x122mm M38 tubes), 3 82mm Mortar Sections, 3 SPAA sections, 1 85mm ATG Section w/trucks, 1 100mm ATG Section w/trucks, 1 82mm RR Section, 1 107mm RR Section, 4 ATGM Sections, plus ammo supply assets. Average force experience, ~70.

Time: 19 Turns

Analysis

This is the third battle of this campaign. I got bored with the battle of the "big boys". As a challenge, I took the Egyptian army and my TO&E is based on some documentation I found. In the two previous "meeting engagements", I got decisive victories. The AI is still receiving a 50% force point bonus. Since my core is less expensive (~4600) than the previous battles, the 65 point objective flags are actually worth capturing and I've gotten them all in the previous two battles.

I learned a few things in those two battles. The first is the Israeli air force is a constant nuisance. Despite having infantry SAMs and some 57mm SPAA units, I still get hit. My kill ratio isn't bad with 50% shot down and the other 50% damaged forcing RTBs, but most of that is coming from AAMGs on my APCs.

Israeli tanks are deadly, so I don't fight them toe to toe with my tanks. I'm typically outnumber in tanks anyhow. A nice equalizer are the Egyptian Sagger missiles, which a mech infantry battalion has eight teams. They take a beating from Israeli artillery, but only after they have destroyed a number of tanks.

One other area the Egyptians are weak in is with infantry. A major part of it is due to lower experience, but the Israeli infantry is oriented toward fighting infantry. Instead of having some integrated AT weapon, they have some other sort of small arms. It seems like one Egyptian company has trouble with one Israeli platoon if they don't have help. A team effort is required to stop a whole Israeli infantry company, i.e., infantry, artillery, armor, SPAA units, etc. Israeli armor has to be neutralized by that point or things get very rough.

Enough about force analysis. Time to look at the map, itself. The first thing that stands out is one peak relatively centered, but with the center about 500m from my LD. It dominates a valley to the east. Anything moving in the center 70% of the map will be under any weapons on this hill. The height of this hill is 50.

To the north northeast is another hill with two peaks. Both of these peaks also have a height of 50. They are far enough forward that either side is likely to have to fight to take possession of them. They still can screen movement of my forces to the west. They aren't as useful for screening movement to the east because of the hill mentioned above.

Three lower peaks (30) in the southern half of the map do provide some covered routes of advance, but aren't as promising as possibilities up north. Since the center hill dominates these as well, they are also limited in their usefulness as firing platforms.

One hill in the enemy deployment area is of some concern. It is tucked in the southeast quadrant of the enemy deployment area. From that position, they can also dominate a significant part of the map center due to its height of 50. While they Israeli maneuver elements won't be positioned there, AAA and possibly other towed guns might be located there.

There are five peaks of height 30 or less in my deployment zone. None really are that impressive. The lowest hill has a small wooded patch to the northeast. From that position, some units can be set up to cover my flank. East of the woods is a small valley so fields of fire are clear. Further east are a couple of passes the enemy might try to use. This are will have to be watched.

The last notable terrain feature is soft sand. While it never seems to hinder the AI, I have to be cautious. There is a band just across my LD running from the north edge south about 1500m. There are no safe paths through it. I will have to deploy south of the band or risk passing through it. There is a similar band from the south edge heading north about 2500m. At least this one has a few paths through, but I'm inclined to set up a holding force here. Against a person, it would be a hindrance, but I think I would faint if an AI unit got stuck. There are soft sand bands throughout the map, so routes will have to be carefully selected for my advance.

Plan

I've broken my plan up into three sectors of operation with one infantry company and supporting antitank assets being the primary forces involved.

In the north sector, the infantry will seize and hold Hills 2 and 3. Antitank assets supporting are four recoilless rifles. Two will deploy on each flank of the infantry, but set back some from the main infantry line. From this position, the infantry will push forward and capture four objects to their east.

In the center sector, the infantry will advance into the gap between Hill 1 and 2. They will take positions in the eastern entrance of the gap and also on the eastern slope of Hill 1. Antitank assets, Sagger missile teams will take up positions on Hill 1. From there, they should be able to cover the valley to their east, the eastern approaches of Hill 2 to the northeast and the passes to the southeast and south. Four teams will set up and four will be held in reserve, relocating if needed to other area or to relieve the other teams as resupply is necessary. The infantry will push forward capturing four objectives to their east and southeast.

In the southern sector, infantry will hold their position from 5-10 turns. Their antitank assets are guns and not as readily mobile or affective as the recoilless rifles or ATGMs. The delay is to ensure enemy forces do not advance through the passes to the east catching the infantry without support. Additionally, an ambush is being set up with the expectation that enemy forces will attempt to approach through the passes. The AT guns positioned west of the passes, ATGMs positioned on Hill 1 to the north and the armor reserve nearby will engage any enemy forces exiting the western entrances to the passes. After the delay, the infantry will move southeast and then east through the southern most pass, capturing objectives along the way.

The armor company will be held in reserve west of Hill 1 where they can easily move northeast, east or southeast to support the infantry in any sector.

Primary artillery support is planned for the infantry in the north sector as their initial positions are further east than in the other sectors. It is expected these units will be engaged with the enemy before they are fully deployed.

I've attached a map with my basic plan outlined on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	North Sector Plan.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	8428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center Sector Plan.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	8429   Click image for larger version

Name:	South Sector Plan.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	8430  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM

Captain

Default Re: DAR: Yom Kippor War - Sinai

Turn 0 (Prep Fire)

No prep fire.

Casualties

Friendly: Zero.

Enemy: Zero.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:04 PM

Captain

Turn 1

Infantry and AT assets advancing in north and center sectors. No enemy sighted.

Two AT guns moved into position in the south sector. No enemy sighted.

Casualties

Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM

Captain

Turn 2

North Sector
Two enemy scout jeeps spotted 750m east of Hill 2. Friendly forces still moving toward their positions, but south flank RR teams have unloaded.

Center Sector
Clear of enemy forces. Friendly infantry still moving forward. Four Sagger teams unloaded on Hill 1. They had seen the enemy scout jeeps up north, but no longer have sight of them.

South Sector
Enemy half track seen approaching east entrance of passes. Friendly infantry still holding position.

Casualties

Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:31 PM

Captain

Turn 3

North Sector
Two enemy scout jeeps spotted coming around the north side of Hill 3. Friendly RR units unloaded and engaged one with small arms fire inflicting a few casualties. Both should be destroyed this turn as a friendly infantry platoon is within a few hundred meters of the location and still loaded.

Center Sector
Two enemy scout jeeps also came around the south side of Hill 2. One was destroyed by center sector troops taking up positions between Hills 1 and 2. An enemy bazooka team, carried by the destroyed jeep, was also engaged, suffering some casualties.

South Sector
Five enemy half tracks and two scout jeeps are heading into the north and south passes. Artillery has been called in, but all forces west of the passes are waiting for the enemy to get closer. Since I know the enemy is going to push some units through the passes, I moved one platoon of the armor into position to cover the passes as well.

Casualties

Enemy: One scout jeep destroyed, estimated 5 casualties.

Last edited by RERomine; July 3rd, 2009 at 08:40 PM..
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:47 PM

Captain

Turn 4

North Sector
Destroyed one of the scout jeeps northwest of Hill 3. Engaged the other one doing some damage, but it's still there. Infantry still moving into position.

Center Sector
Destroyed second enemy scout jeep and the bazooka team. No more enemy sighted in the sector, but mortar rounds started to fall inflicting a few casualties. The Israeli mortars respond fast! I thought about engaging some of the enemy half tracks to the south with ATGMs, but I don't think they are worth wasting missiles on.

South Sector
Tanks and a nearby SPAA section engaged and destroyed two half tracks in the passes. I'm fine with the tanks, but didn't expect my SPAA units to engage. It might be a good idea to move them.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 3 casualties.

Enemy: Two scout jeeps and two M3 half-tracks destroyed, estimated 15 casualties.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:09 PM

Captain

Turn 5

North Sector
Destroyed second scout jeep. No more enemy units seen in area. Infantry continuing to move into position as are the RR teams.

Center Sector
Cleared the impact zone of the enemy mortar, so rounds coming in are just stirring up dust. The Israeli air force showed up. No surprise there. Two A-4N Skyhawk IIs came in from the east. Both were shot down by infantry SAMs, but one succeeded in bombing some BTRs, with no effect. The SAM hit percentages were much better than previous battles. Either their experience is making a difference or I did better with placement. Anyhow, I need to move them and check on their ammo supply.

South Sector
Destroyed three more half-tracks and one scout jeep with tanks and SPAA units. Both the tanks and the SPAA units started relocating. Enemy mortar rounds started to fall where one of the SPAA vehicles had been located. One enemy scout jeep succeeded in turning a flag, but it won't survive this turn. Two enemy Sh'ot Kal tanks going over hilltop south of southern pass. They are too far south to be engaged from Hill 1 (can't be seen), so my AT guns will hold fire until they get closer.

Casualties

Enemy: One scout jeep, three M3 half-tracks and two A-4N Skyhawk IIs destroyed, estimated 20 casualties.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:40 PM

Captain

Turn 6

North Sector
No enemy in the area, but was hit by 155mm artillery. One RR team took some casualties. Infantry on both Hills 2 and 3.

Center Sector
Round 2 for the Israeli air force. This time, I only damaged both aircraft coming in. They destroyed one RR team and two BTRs. Mortar rounds started dropping on my infantry SAM teams also. I am going to have to move them around some.

South Sector
A third Sh'ot Kal tank spotted. I'm waiting until they move more into the kill zone of the ambush. In the meantime, the four reserve Sagger teams are relocating to engage the enemy tanks should they get through. My tanks pounded on one mech infantry squad. There are three half-tracks still in the area, but the only units that can see them are the AT guns and I'm saving them for the tanks.

Casualties

Friendly: Two BTR-50PK APCs and one B11 RR destroyed, estimated 10 casualties.

Enemy: Estimated 5 casualties.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:51 PM

Captain

Turn 7

North Sector
Enemy infantry spotted 300m east of Hill 2 peak. Artillery continued to hit, but caused no casualties. Plotted some counter battery against an enemy 155mm SPA near the east edge of the map.

Center Sector
Aside from artillery in this sector, no activity. Troops still moving into position.

South Sector
OK, the three Sh'ot Kal tanks that were moving west now are heading northeast. I guess I'm going to have to take my shots at them. It doesn't seem like they are going to enter the kill zone. I wonder why they changed direction. Took some tank shots at one half-track, but missed. Also fired at the mech infantry unit again. It took a few casualties.

Casualties

Enemy: Estimated 3 casualties.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:08 PM

Captain

Turn 8

North Sector
Enemy infantry in platoon strength east of Hill 2. I brought up my BTRs to help the infantry engage. Two Sh'ot Kal tanks seen well east of Hill 3. They aren't moving at this point. I wonder if they will wait for me to get some Sagger teams over there.

Center Sector
Relocated one of my mortar sections that was drawing mortar fire. It hasn't fired yet, but it might have been spotted during the air strikes.

South Sector
Since the three enemy tanks gave me a nice view of their rear and side, I opened up with my two 100mm ATGs. Two Sh'ot Kal tanks destroyed. The other one has turned back to the east. I'm not sure what it's up to, but it's alone now. Destroyed two more half-tracks with my 85mm ATGs. Also, hit some enemy mech units left walking when their rides bought it. Infantry company on the move now that the enemy forces have been pretty much destroyed. One tank platoon is tagging along for support.

Casualties

Enemy: Two Sh'ot Kal tanks and two M3 half-tracks destroyed, estimated 25 casualties.