World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old April 5th, 2014, 06:26 PM

Private

gRaider2001 is on a distinguished road
Default Determining Purchase Points for Map Size

Hello all:-)

The question that I have is how do you go about determining the number of purchase points to use based on the size of the map? Or, what size map is best for the number of purchase points that you use? For example, I have determined I like use 100-150 units. What size map would be good for that number of units, and how do I determine that number of purchase points that will allow me to buy that amount of units?

I understand a lot has to do with the time period and country. For my example above lets say it is based off of the U.S. during the 1960s.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this question.
Old April 5th, 2014, 06:47 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Determining Purchase Points for Map Size

Set the points to maximum.

Buy the force you deem to be "comfortable" for the map size, and your style of play, and note how much it costs. Repeat the buy a few times with minor variants. Eventually, you will have your answer.

Now, set your points size to your benchmark, given map size, era, and posture (delaying, defending, meeter, advancing, assaulting).

Naturally - your preferred style of play and army will have an effect on this. You will have different results if you like to play VC or similar than if you like to play the IDF...

If your force walks - you will want a smaller map, or longer games, to trudge across them on shanks pony. If you are playing "air cavalry" you will have an entirely different point of view.

So - you are really asking one of those "how long is a piece of string" type of questions that really cannot be answered by some simplistic formulaic approach. Too many variables.

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old April 5th, 2014, 06:56 PM

Private

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my question Andy (Mobhack). You offer some good suggestions and tips and I will give them a try. I understand what you mean when you say that my question "cannot be answered by some simplistic formulaic approach. To many variables."
Old April 5th, 2014, 10:37 PM

Private

After some testing today I realize that I like having about 4 companies make up my core force. I am still in the process of figuring out what size map I like to use.
Old April 6th, 2014, 02:13 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gRaider2001 View Post
I am still in the process of figuring out what size map I like to use.
How much empty space do you want to have on the map for manoeuvre, and what kind of terrain will you be operating?

Presuming that you would be playing on something resembling central Europe, how about starting with around 20 hexes of frontage per company? Set up a map, purchase your forces, deploy them and see how it looks like. Would they be too packed for your tastes, or is there uncomfortable amounts of empty space between them?
Old April 6th, 2014, 02:20 AM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griefbringer View Post
Quote:
I am still in the process of figuring out what size map I like to use.
How much empty space do you want to have on the map for manoeuvre, and what kind of terrain will you be operating?

Presuming that you would be playing on something resembling central Europe, how about starting with around 20 hexes of frontage per company? Set up a map, purchase your forces, deploy them and see how it looks like. Would they be too packed for your tastes, or is there uncomfortable amounts of empty space between them?
Hello Griefbringer, and thank you for taking to time to reply and offer your opinion. I would like to have space to manoeuvre and flank.

I plan on starting a generated campaign between the U.S and Russia starting in 1960 and ending in 1985. It will probably be 10-15 battle, and more than likely the maps will be in central Europe.

What do you mean when you say "20 hexes of frontage per company"? Thank you very much
Old April 6th, 2014, 03:05 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What do you mean when you say "20 hexes of frontage per company"?
I meant map height of 20 hexes per every (infantry or tank) company in your force. So for a 4 company force, that would mean 80 hexes high map.

If you like to have a lot of room to manoeuvre, you migh want to try even higher frontages.
Old April 6th, 2014, 11:21 AM

Private

Quote:
Quote:
What do you mean when you say "20 hexes of frontage per company"?
I meant map height of 20 hexes per every (infantry or tank) company in your force. So for a 4 company force, that would mean 80 hexes high map.

If you like to have a lot of room to manoeuvre, you migh want to try even higher frontages.
Ohhh, I see what you mean now. That makes sense. Thank you very much. I will use that advice and see how it works.
Old April 15th, 2014, 01:57 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Four companies to 80 hexes means a battalion frontage of 4000m.

Just as a historic point of reference, battalions in the Great War 'typically' had defensive frontages of about 500 - 1000m, and their offensive frontage would be about half that.

German, British and US battalions in WWII would more likely have a defensive frontage of about 1000 - 2000m (offensive would be half that). German doctrine was closer to 1000m, and Russian battalions may have tried to cover up to 4000m.

But all this would obviously depend on many factors including date, nation, theater, terrain, type of battalion, etc.

Frontages in North Africa would likely be much larger, and frontages in jungle much less.

Cross

Last edited by Cross; April 15th, 2014 at 02:11 PM..
Old April 15th, 2014, 07:23 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Well,It really all boils down to simple factors,mainly player preferences,time period,maybe forces involved perhaps.

There is no formula on the "correct" map size,too many factors and one players config. may not be what you'd like.

If the battle seems to cramped,then increase map size or minamize your forces to your prefernce,vicevera,if too many gaps ect.

Trial and error,again,is the thumb rule here.