The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old August 21st, 2004, 05:46 AM

Private

gajus is on a distinguished road
Default Hack a Savegame file to switch from Diff Machine?

Hey, I'm a noob on this board but have been playing SEIII, SEIV for years now. I have a stupid but interesting problem. I am using v1.49 of SE IV (because I am too poor to buy Gold right before SEV comes out).

My problem is this: My brother and 40 turns into a kickass humans vs. computers game in a large galaxy. I had never played over e-mail before, and naturally I selected the "Different Machines" option in the game setup. I DID NOT check the "no tactical combat" check box. I made triple sure. The problem is this. I get most of my fun out of the tactical combat aspect, and I can't even figure out how to capture planets in auto combat. The Different Machines (play by e-mail) option seems like it doesn't actually allow tactical combat. What I want to do is hack the savegame file to switch the game from Different Machines mode to Hotseat mode so we can use tactical combat. I know it will make e-mailing the savegame a little more annoying, but it is preferable so we can have tactical combat. I know the option for Different Machines or "same machine" is entered in plain text into a header portion of the savegame file. I have tried editing this with wordpad to "same machine" (as I saw in a different savegame file created as a hotseat game). This didn't work though and loading the hacked file crashed SEIV. Has anyone here ever done this or have any idea where I am going wrong here? Is all hope lost? Should I just start a new game?

Thanks for reading this far.
Old August 21st, 2004, 05:55 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hack a Savegame file to switch from Diff Machi

Welcome to the forum.

Generally we frown upon topics regarding hacking the game. Hacking the game could and would lead to violations of the PBW rules, so it is a heavily discouraged topic.

Unlocked

Additionally the best option for you would be to just start a new game. However I am not certain if you can play tactical combat in a PBEM game. I think all combat is done automatically. I am unlocking the thread for discussion on this. I hope someone can help. However please do not discuss hacking the game in this forum. Thank you.
Old August 21st, 2004, 04:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hack a Savegame file to switch from Diff Machi

Tactical combat is only available in sequential movement, same machine games. All other ways to play the game use strategic combat.

To capture a planet in strategic combat, design a ship and give it the type Troop Transport. Or, set the design strategy to Capture Planet. Then, build troops, and fill it up. Put it in a fleet with warships. Set the fleet strategy to Capture Planet. Send it against a planet. If the ships are able to overcome the defenses, they will stop firing upon the planet and allow the troop transport to drop its troops. If the ground invasion succeeds, the planet is yours. If it fails, and there are no other troop transports in the battle, the warships will resume orbital bombardment and glass the planet.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.