World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

Roanon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Slynky\'s Demise

Quote:
narf poit chez BOOM said:
Sounds like you enjoy the challenge and don't enjoy the backstabbing. Just summing up for my next point: Start a game with pre-defined allies and the rule that if one side has, say, 25-50% more score than the other, they automatically win. No backstabbing, no one-sided battles.

Just suggesting; if you decide not to play at all, that's your choice.
Make it 400% of the score of the second, we had this in NGC3, and it still will not be fully decided. Depends on the number of players. Plus, it can be frustrating if there is a winning empire in one end of the galaxy and your fleets has not even reached its borders when victory and game end is declared.
What I do not like with pre-defined alliances is that you are depending on the skill - or lack thereof - of your allies. I prefer to choose partners in game depending on their success and skill, or not to ally at all.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:46 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I don't know what to say other than do what I do, take some time off and don't play. It helps and it helps a lot.

I would say find a nice [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Woman4.gif[/img] and dedicate the next month to breading a little Slynky.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 05:20 AM

Brigadier General

Timstone is on a distinguished road

NO!!! The world couldn't handle another Slynky!!

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
Brent in Plaver vs. Player
Old September 2nd, 2004, 05:45 AM

Major

primitive is on a distinguished road

Slynky:
I apologise for my participation in your demise.

Mark the Muckheads way of leaving the Grudgematch really P.. me off and killed all enthusiasm I had for that particular game. I have known for some time now that I would soon leave PBW so I should have been clearer on ending the game with Mark gone, saving you and Lord Chane for the extra stress of finding a replacement. Hope when this blows over I am still considered as you friend (or at least an internet buddy )

Primitive
Old September 2nd, 2004, 05:46 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Roanon said:
Quote:
narf poit chez BOOM said:
Sounds like you enjoy the challenge and don't enjoy the backstabbing. Just summing up for my next point: Start a game with pre-defined allies and the rule that if one side has, say, 25-50% more score than the other, they automatically win. No backstabbing, no one-sided battles.

Just suggesting; if you decide not to play at all, that's your choice.
Make it 400% of the score of the second, we had this in NGC3, and it still will not be fully decided. Depends on the number of players. Plus, it can be frustrating if there is a winning empire in one end of the galaxy and your fleets has not even reached its borders when victory and game end is declared.
What I do not like with pre-defined alliances is that you are depending on the skill - or lack thereof - of your allies. I prefer to choose partners in game depending on their success and skill, or not to ally at all.
The cumulative score of all the players on one side.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:18 AM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Well, at first I was a little disturbed. This was turning into the week when everyone quit playing SE4. But it's good to hear you are going to stick around and continue playing 1x1 games.

To enjoy multiplayer diplomacy, you really have to be the kind of person that can separate what happens in the game from what is outside of the game. Not everyone can do that, but that's ok.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

Roanon is on a distinguished road

I don't think that is exactly the point, although some truth may be in it especially in this extreme dislike of any sudden change of in-game politics.
I can very well separate in-game diplomacy and outside of the game, and have no problems to change the attitude of my rulers from game to game even when dealing with the same players. I still to not enjoy the diplomatic part. It is just no fun for me - a matter of personal taste. Although I seem to have a higher tolerance level for this than Slynky, and do not take it that serious if someone does the inevitable step to stab in a game where there can only be one. After all, it's only a game, although it still hurts if you see an empire crumble and fall that has costed you a lot of time and effort to build up.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:51 AM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road

Roanon seems to feel just about the same way I do.

A long time ago, I was, it seemed, perpetually the DM for Dungeons and Dragons games (just about every weekend). I had a partition where I keeped my notes, maps, books, dice, etc. When I started, I rolled all the dice out in front so the players could see what they showed. But after a while, I started rolling the dice behind the partition and just announcing the results. You see, I hated rolling a 1 or 2 on the percentile dice (for chance to be hit) and then roll for damage and get a whopping roll that killed a character. I hated seeing the look on the player's face to see a character s/he had built up for weeks or months get killed.

Playing a game of SE4 for months (or over a year), like Anklebiters and then "rolling the dice" to pinpoint the next target is like the game of D&D I was talking about. Nor do I like it when 2 or 3 other players in a game decide MY time is up. In both instances, the poor "wilderbeast" singled out of the herd for "eating" by the lions has got to be asking his 4-legged god, "Why me?!"

Throw in allies who are backstabbers and allies who make mistakes... well, you can see how it additionally affects your game and you have a recipe for disatisfaction. Well, at least I do
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:05 AM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
primitive said:
Slynky:
I apologise for my participation in your demise.

Mark the Muckheads way of leaving the Grudgematch really P.. me off and killed all enthusiasm I had for that particular game. I have known for some time now that I would soon leave PBW so I should have been clearer on ending the game with Mark gone, saving you and Lord Chane for the extra stress of finding a replacement. Hope when this blows over I am still considered as you friend (or at least an internet buddy )

Primitive
No problem. I understand, too, and I felt the same way about the game when Mark left. The game was interesting enough that I wanted to see how it played out so that's why I persisted in finding a replacement.

You'll always be the "Big P" around here . And when you're broke and have to return to the SE4 cave for your entertainment, hehe, you'll be welcome.

Now, go out and rent "The Sting", "The Color of Money", "Maverick", "The Cinncinati Kid", and "Poker".
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:07 AM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
geoschmo said:
Well, at first I was a little disturbed. This was turning into the week when everyone quit playing SE4. But it's good to hear you are going to stick around and continue playing 1x1 games.
Well, no game Lasts forever. But I'd bet interest will pick up and this board will fill back up with new players again when Aaron Hall gets around to releasing SEV.