World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 7th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Corporal

Lord Chane is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Slynky\'s Demise

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
The sort of player that takes the time to write a customized race description is the sort of player that roleplays their empire... Most people that write such a description will try their hardest to act that way in-game...

A good point and one I may seem to have overlooked. I rarely pay attention to those descriptions for a couple of reasons. One, I'd have to pay more attention to what the stock descriptions say in order to know if the description I'm looking at is custom or not. Two, they seem more like fluff to me than actually useful information. But I see I could be wrong on that. Again the problem though would be to tell who has created their race and intends to play in accordance with their description and who is using the description to decieve those who pay attention to it.

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
Ah, but many people can... it is what roleplaying is all about. Their life experiences and all that might subconsciously determine the types of characters they chose to roleplay, but the roles they choose to play don't define everything about them.
You're right, the roles they choose to play doesn't define everything about them, and I never indicated I think it does. The role they choose to play may in fact say nothing about them. Or perhaps it does say something about them. That's hard to tell and impossible for me to know when I meet them in a game. Really though if their life experiences, even one of them, influences their in-game behavior, then that validates my hypothesis that it's virtually impossible to preclude that from happening. It's then a matter of trying to determine how much of their real personality they exhibit in the game. But I'm only making this argument in reference to non-RP games. In RP games I've no problem with what any player does, because I know up front that everyone is role playing.
Old September 7th, 2004, 04:14 PM

Corporal

Quote:
geoschmo said:
I do agree there is a point at which behavior of players in a game is reflective of their character, or lack of it out of the game. And in that regard your examples do have some merit. There is a line that a person can cross while playing a game which will cause me to question them as a person. Where we disagree I suppose is exactly where that line is drawn.

Exactly!

Quote:
geoschmo said:
I would like to keep it simple and just say that for me the line is cheating. Of course that would require everyone to have the same definition of what is cheating, and then we start our debate all over again. I guess maybe that's the point you've been trying to make all along.
Well, one of the points.
Old September 7th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
A good point and one I may seem to have overlooked. I rarely pay attention to those descriptions for a couple of reasons. One, I'd have to pay more attention to what the stock descriptions say in order to know if the description I'm looking at is custom or not. Two, they seem more like fluff to me than actually useful information. But I see I could be wrong on that. Again the problem though would be to tell who has created their race and intends to play in accordance with their description and who is using the description to decieve those who pay attention to it.

So you mean, I take the time to write something like *this race description* so that you can know all about how nasty the Zhentara are, and you don't even bother reading it? I am hurt.

In my experience, the vast majority of people that take the time to write a race description play by it...

Quote:
But I'm only making this argument in reference to non-RP games. In RP games I've no problem with what any player does, because I know up front that everyone is role playing.
For many, every game _is_ a RP game... It is fairly easy to pick these people out of the crowd. This game becomes really boring if all you do is build an empire and attack people...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old September 7th, 2004, 04:43 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
So you mean, I take the time to write something like *this race description* so that you can know all about how nasty the Zhentara are, and you don't even bother reading it? I am hurt.

Oh, don't you worry...some of us HAVE read it...and it greatly affects how we deal with you in certain games....ahem....If you know what I mean...

Alarik
Old September 7th, 2004, 05:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

There is also the much more peaceful Kazharii Imperium, which really isn't an imperium, I just like the name.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old September 7th, 2004, 06:00 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:

I see the error of my ways and have corrected that mistake. Please forgive my ignorance, I promise I'll read all race descriptions in the future. Nicely written, by the way.

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:For many, every game _is_ a RP game... It is fairly easy to pick these people out of the crowd. This game becomes really boring if all you do is build an empire and attack people...
Ok, I'll try and be more sensitive to that in the future. I can pick out some of those people easily enough. They're the ones who send elaborate Messages. With others I can't tell.
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:22 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
There is also the much more peaceful Kazharii Imperium, which really isn't an imperium, I just like the name.
You should make it the Kazharii Emporium and sell useless junk there like "Spaceempires.net - Number one in All of Space Empires for a Reason" t-shirts.