.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Improved Arena

Remember that the worry isnt what you add to this game.
The worry is what you add, each nations ability with it, what the players can add on top of the thing you added, and the grand total thereof. Many things sound good until one of the expert players starts adding it all up and showing you the total.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:06 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

My thought for the Arena prize has long been, make it better each time a contestant wins. Starting with something along the lines of the base Trident and working up to something really good for anyone. Still an item though, not gems or cash. Maybe with pathboosters, reinvig, mr, whatever.

But you have to keep winning it. If the previous Champion loses, or doesn't return to defend his title, the new Champion gets the base item and starts working up again.

This couldn't be done seamlessly with modding, but it could be done by changing the mod after each Arena match.
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:30 AM

First Lieutenant

WingedDog is on a distinguished road

I've been thinking about Arena improvement recently and discovered this old thread.
What if a reward for victory in a Deathmatch should be a dominion boost? Let's say +3 dominion change towards the winner nation in every single province of the world, and the Champion's Trident gives 1 temple check in the province you're in.
The restrictions are: no pretenders are allowed and no deathmatches during the first year.
Thematicaly if fits perfect: you are the champion of your God, the whole world is gazing at you and your victory will prove prove the power of your your God, while your defeat would turn potential followers away.
The practical gain is situational, and it's up to you to decide whether to risk a commander or not, but it would surely make deathmaches more populated.
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:02 AM

Sergeant

LumenPlacidum is on a distinguished road

Well, that would certainly make 3 dominion even less attractive than it is now, what with the event suddenly making you lose. It seems awfully strong to do that drastic of a dominion shift. It seems like it would take some significant time to recover from that even if it didn't kill you immediately.
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:17 AM

First Lieutenant

I haven't ever seen anyone playing with domstreight of 3 in MP game.

Still, there could be lesser dominion loss if your champion kills at least 1 opponent, and no dominion loss if he kills 3 opponents. It would make sense to send your best if you are on the edge of death by domkill.

And if you do not send anyone you suffer even greater dominion penalty, it would make people at least send some chaff, so champions of other nations for whom loss of dominion is critical, or rasing of a dominion is important could compete with.
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

I like the idea, although I too think that's far to much.
Even with a domstrength of 8 maybe half your provinces have less than 3 candles.
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated One View Post
Even with a domstrength of 8 maybe half your provinces have less than 3 candles.
So the desire not to loose your dominion would force you to send a better combatant. In most important areas loss of 3 candles would be recovered fast, but still if it is too much it could be 2±1 depending on random as everything else in Dominions.
Old September 20th, 2009, 04:52 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedDog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated One View Post
So the desire not to loose your dominion would force you to send a better combatant. In most important areas loss of 3 candles would be recovered fast, but still if it is too much it could be 2±1 depending on random as everything else in Dominions.
I definitely agree the arena death match should be improved. The arena death match is a very interesting and creative idea, unfortunately the prize is not worth the life of a good commander. Several suggestions have been made in the past such as a gem reward based on current game turn, but nothing has ever changed.
We'll have to wait for Dominions_4.
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:51 AM

Captain

earcaraxe is on a distinguished road

I'm playing with the idea of setting up a new game in which arena gets more emphasis. Is there a way to call a death match - say - every 10 turns?
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:11 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Not that I know of.
You can change the arena's reward, or expand on it, thru mods. You can also set up a server-side notification of an arena happening so that for games you might be running but not playing in you will get a notification that an arena happened so you can jump into that game and award a special prize using one of the DungeonMaster mods.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)