.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 13th, 2009, 04:57 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Searching for Blood Sites is superfluous !!

I wouldn't say incredibly important. Who cares about the odd random minor horror mark? Other than OCD people.

Once people learn a bit more about forts they tend to forget about 'strategic' placement which slows them down and focus almost entirely on where forts can be built quickly and cheaply. The most important thing about them is the fact they make another commander a turn, after all. I consider a few other things about forts, obviously, but definitely not to the extent I would go out of my way to search provinces before building them.
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Corporal

BesucherXia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedalkenBear View Post
Well, I would say that the Devil's Den by itself is a reason to do Blood-searching. Also, isn't the Vale of Infinite Horrors one of the few random ways to gain a Horror Mark? As such, knowing its location can be incredibly important.
No other single sites will bring you 15 unrest per turn like Devil's Den does. As you are expanding in MP, it's very likely to notice an independent province with high unrest. And you can calculate it with the turn number to know what could be here. Never waste your blood slaves for Devil's Den itself.
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Sergeant

SlipperyJim is on a distinguished road

Doesn't Devils' Den give you one free Devil per turn? It's hard to imagine how free Devils could be a waste....
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:42 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

He's saying don't bother bowl of blooding all over just for that site, because it's easy to spot anyway when you're conquering new territory due to the unrest.
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
Ebony Tower gets you sorcerers, which are D1B2 with a SDB randomm IIRC. And blood magic bonus sites like Mount Chaining are huge, especially in early game.
They're 1D/1B + 2 100% SDB picks. I have that site in another game right now, it's lovely. Also has a 30% Conj bonus. (Not Blood bonus, but Conj.)

As far as Inkpot End or another disease spreading site, I think it's kind of foolish to say it doesn't matter. Not only is it a huge hassle, but the last SP game that I ended up with a castle on one of those sites, about 1/3 of my commanders were diseased by the time I could get them out, that is a HUGE impact to your cost effectiveness, and your long term capacity to build up mages.

And Chris, while a little unrest probably is indicative of a Brigand Lair, there is never a guarantee that it is the only Blood site present. Things like 40-50-70% Blood, as well as incredibly cheap but potent hunter recruitment, among other things, I think necessitate searching Blood, if you are able to. It's the one path that I always go back over -every- single province that doesn't have 4 sites yet (or is a capital), just on the off chance I missed the jackpot.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimMorrison For This Useful Post:
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:27 PM

Major

Micah is on a distinguished road

Inkpot end is level 0 and most other disease sites (except the crown of darkness I think it is) are 5% chance or less, so you can easily build there and then move to another province...sure, it'll kill every 20th unit and waste a turn of research from the rest of them, but the odds of landing on such a site are pretty low and generally not worth worrying over. If the fort happens to be a chokepoint that's awesome, as you now have a nice deterrent to sieging armies. Tie them up with some call of the winds ravens or something else disposable while they soak up the diseases. =)
The Following User Says Thank You to Micah For This Useful Post:
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

in wheel of time i have disease sites all over the goddamn place. big deal. I even have one of my major centres plop on top of one. Disease can be a pain early on, but if you have half an eye it will be obvious that there is one there, as mages don't get diseased for no reason.

Micah: i can assure you that there are a number of non lvl 0 disease sites - plaguewater stream, leper fens, pool of unearthly rites, chillsick... most of which I have

leper fens is the one you want to avoid - 10%
The Following User Says Thank You to archaeolept For This Useful Post:
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:48 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but you've got half the map on a 75% site game. I don't even want to hear about the good sites you have!
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM

Major

Micah is on a distinguished road

Right, Leper fens and crown of darkness are the two at 10%, and if the database is right the fens are forest only, and both are unique. Crown is also a hefty discount site, so having it forted isn't a bad thing, although it might not be the best use of resources before you get some research done.
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:00 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Most frustrating thing in one MP game:
Ooh, Garnet Amazons 2 steps from my capital.
Guess I'm going for Blood.
Attack with starting army.
Inkpot end.
Prophet diseased.

Seemed like a lot more than 10% of those amazons were diseased...