.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old November 25th, 2008, 09:00 PM

Corporal

Lokean is on a distinguished road
Default Chronicles_MA - General Game Discussion

Well, since the game's now up and running I'm going to split this thread and the other one and sort out the EA game in there...

Last edited by Lokean; December 20th, 2008 at 04:45 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lokean For This Useful Post:
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:56 AM

Sergeant

Juffos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chronicles - Inspired by Baalz, engineered by Lokean - Pre-game discussion

Extra roleplay is always delicious.
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chronicles - Inspired by Baalz, engineered by Lokean - Pre-game discussion

Sounds fun, I'd be up for it.
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Chronicles - Inspired by Baalz, engineered by Lokean - Pre-game discussion

Seems great, I too was thinking (without having read of Baalz' idea) about creating a roleplay/dar/aar-heavy MP game.

I'd be up for this gladly but unfortunately, only if it would have 48hrs timer (even with quickhost), or even 24hrs but without quickhost... university schedules s*ck. If not, don't worry about me, my english is unluckily quite poor so I wouldn't possibly be able to write something truly epic anyway

The idea is anyway very nice and I wish you best luck with this, I would read with passion My personal suggestion for you is to go for the CBM. As it makes many spells and Pretenders much more viable and interesting, you would have diversified and enjoyable reports, instead of maybe having 3 or 4 nations with Cyclopses going for similar strategies...
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:31 PM

Sergeant

hunt11 is on a distinguished road

This game sounds more fun then a barrel of monkeys
I am up for this.
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

I would be interested in playing in this game.
Old November 26th, 2008, 02:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

djo is on a distinguished road

Thoughts from the "Yarnspinners 2" game in Dominions 2 (search the forums, it's all still there):

-- writing even one contribution per week is hard to keep up, so don't have the turns too often
-- crowded map! the best stories come when nations interact, so make that happen early
-- consider de-incentivizing the elimination of players (no VP in capitals?); it sucks to get knocked out if you're having fun writing

Yarnspinners 2 was a whole lot of fun. Hope you can get this one going. In the past, heavy RP games have had bad luck.
Old November 26th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Corporal

Well, it looks like there's sufficient interest to pursue the idea, so here's a few of my thoughs/preferences.

CBM would certainly be an important choice, and I'm in favor of it, specifically because it promotes diversity, rather than having the midgame AARs all consist of "[My puny mage groupies cast spells on me/I cast spells on me] and I smashed the entire opposing army with my magic sword"

Given whay djo says, I broadly agree. An alternative would be to use one of the maps with specific VP sites, but the only ones I'm aware of are the ones on the Llamaserver, so suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I was initially thinking of doing the first few turns as 24 or 48 hour quickhost, while the initial expansion goes on, then throttling back to between 72 and 120 fixed hosting. As I see it, the difficulty is more to do with having something you wish to write about, rather than the time and effort to write it. A reasonable hosting time allows players that feel inspired to thrash something out during a single turn without people that don't feel like writing something getting too drained by the delays.

Depending on the number of players, I would probably set an expected contribution rate at once a fortnight, which would mean that the tales would be coming in almost daily, on average, if people can keep up that pace. More, of course, would be better.

What I'd really be interested in trying would be a map that had starting positions for every nation of the age chosen and victory point locations that were special sites of interest. However, that would mean making a new map, which is quite a lot of work.
Old November 26th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Have you considered using the dawn of dominions scenario?

Oh, and I'd definitely be interested in this game.
Old November 26th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Corporal

It's too uneven, really. Since there's no built in victory condition the odds are good that some nations would simply get obliterated early.