The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 19th, 2008, 02:55 PM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: A computer annoyance - help wanted!

Also, while you have the task manager open check to see what processes are running and how much 'K' they're using. Mainly watch explorer.exe (not IEXPLORER.EXE, two different programs) explorer is gennerally the program responsible for your problem. As Raapys says a reinstall may be what you need. Try updating the modem drives too...
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

'Also, I've checked CPU performance while it's refusing to load any programs, and it's at minimal levels, with no processes running that aren't "usual".'
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a network reallocation of resources issue to me. When you go from say DSL to dial up, your system has to reconfigure everything for that connection. Depending on your system that could cause a period of delay as your CPU is taxed to deal with the redistribution of network resources. Additionally depending upon who the dial up provider is, say net zero, their software, when activated, takes over your system and for a lack of a better term, has a party. Those dial up bastards need to make money so they build in malware and other "proprietary" software into their dial up software that when activated, start a tone of other programs that in turn swamp the cpu with resource demands.
Old January 19th, 2008, 06:10 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
capnq said:
My suggested solution is to look into upgrading to broadband. My new DSL account is actually cheaper than what I was paying for dialup.
DSL isn't available in my area. Yep, I live in the stone ages.

Quote:
Open the task manager before dialing in with the modem. Watch to see what is using 100% cpu.

Also, while you have the task manager open check to see what processes are running and how much 'K' they're using. Mainly watch explorer.exe (not IEXPLORER.EXE, two different programs) explorer is gennerally the program responsible for your problem.
As mentioned in my original post ( ) I have done this without noticing anything out of the ordinary.

Quote:
When you go from say DSL to dial up, your system has to reconfigure everything for that connection. Depending on your system that could cause a period of delay as your CPU is taxed to deal with the redistribution of network resources.
This might make sense if I was switching from DSL to dial-up, but I'm not; I'm always in dial-up, so nothing should need to be reconfigured. Also, I would presume that if this was the issue, it would take a roughly equivalent time each time to resolve its issues, whereas in reality it takes anywhere from a couple minutes to a few hours.

I will first off take a look at upgrading the modem drivers, thanks for the suggestion... shoulda thought of that myself!! I will also take another look at the processes running when the problem occurs, just in case I missed something last time. Thanks guy, and I'll keep you apprised

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

aegisx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Renegade 13 said:
For reasons unbeknownst to me, sometimes (but not always) when I connect my computer to the internet via my dial-up modem, it will "lock out" any other programs from opening for a random amount of time. By this I mean once the internet has actually finished dialing and connecting, no other programs will open, then, after a certain (random) amount of time passes, the programs will all open that I had told to open anywhere from minutes to hours ago. In addition, I can tell my computer to shut down, but it will not do so until it decides everything's fine again and ready to work.

Note that this is NOT a general computer lock up. If I open a program (say, Firefox) before the internet establishes its connection, everything's fine and dandy for whatever reason, same goes with any other program.

This problem also doesn't always occur, sometimes I can connect and programs will open immediately. It has me stumped.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to cause or possible solutions? If so, it would be greatly appreciated if you shared 'em! Thanks!
Interesting issue...

Is your CPU at 100% during this frozen time? Atro mentioned it, but I'm not sure if you answered.

My first thought is that the driver is causing the lockup, which is difficult to do anything about. The other guy would be explorer.exe as I believe he is responsible for spawning processes.
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:37 PM

General

Quote:
aegisx said:
Is your CPU at 100% during this frozen time? Atro mentioned it, but I'm not sure if you answered.

My first thought is that the driver is causing the lockup, which is difficult to do anything about. The other guy would be explorer.exe as I believe he is responsible for spawning processes.
Nah, the CPU is at resting capacity, like... 3% or something like that.

I reinstalled the modem drivers (since I couldn't find any more recent drivers), and I'll see how that works.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

aegisx is on a distinguished road

It sounds like some piece of code, in the kernel (driver) or explorer.exe is waiting on something.
Old January 20th, 2008, 03:27 AM

General

Update: Not the driver, as far as I can tell. It's still messing up after reinstalling 'em.

Any further suggestions?

Old January 20th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Will is on a distinguished road

If you have another computer, try using that to connect with the same modem. If it works in another computer, re-install windows.

Send off for a LiveCD, and try connecting via the modem with Linux. If it works through Linux, either use Linux or re-install windows.

If it still locks up, you can get modems for under $10; try replacing it.
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:26 AM

Captain

Baron Grazic is on a distinguished road

Could it be something like the Anti-Virus software doing an update as soon as you go online and it halts other programs from loading while the upgrade takes place?
Could explain why it takes different amounts of time & no noticeable CPU usage.