.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 8th, 2012, 03:15 AM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Questions by a MP Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
Anyway there are two ways to play MA Marignion. One is to play to its strengths and take a bless for the angels and heavy chavalry. I dont remember their pretender choices of hand, but a Cyclops is a fine bless chassis that work for both angels and cavalry. I would skip the nature and just go with E9, dom 6, Imprisoned. E10 is doable. You dont have any giant though and the massive extra cost of the nature is not worth it just for the angels.
However, the nature also provides actual meaningful nature access, which is pretty key. There are a lot of good nature items, a fair few nature summons, so on and so forth, and you want that path. The other option is Earth-Death, for many of the same reasons.
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Corporal

Zywack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
Misfortune 3 is another terrible idea.
I can't really comment on MA Marignon, but I heartily agree with Misfortune 3 being a bad idea even with order 3. I picked that in my first game as OceaniaI constantly had events where I had 60-80 Heavy Cavalry appearing on my land territories: I was literally losing far more troops fighting rebels than I did fighting the other gods. Can't forget about the lovely event that turns 99% of the population to mandragoras: I had a friend that had that happen to his capital. I'm sure there's even worse stuff that can happen at Misfortune 3, but what I've seen so far convinced me not to go Misfortune 3 ever again.
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:19 AM

First Lieutenant

bbz is on a distinguished road

I have been a fan of blesses and low dominion score-5. I don't know for marignon but Luck/Misfortune scale is tied to the other scales so for example its a bad idea to pick death+ misfortune coz you unlock some naughty events.(plague every now and then) I'm so much used to taking misfortune 2 now that I don't care anymore it probably nets to something like -100 gold a turn(max might be even less) overall(considering everything). Also having low dominion means that at the beginning of the game those bad events are not going to be happening too much because you haven't spread your dominion everywhere yet. I'd consider taking neutral luck just so that I can get some of the national heroes for some nations but I don't remember MA marignon having any really impressive ones.
Misfortune 3 is quite a bad idea, but I feel that misf 2 and order 3 is bareable.(once you get used to it). Also In multiplayer people generally set some sort of borders, so even loosing a borther region to a barbarian attack/ knight attack is not that bad. If your neighbour takes that region that already means that he is prepered to go to war with you and will take more of your regions other than the one attacked by the barbarians.
Luck is more important late game when it nets you more gems and gives you diversity(having 2-3 +5-10 gem events a turn is nice)But since you already have order 3 you won't be getting as many events anyways, so I don't see much difference between misf 1 and misf 2
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:29 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zywack View Post
I can't really comment on MA Marignon, but I heartily agree with Misfortune 3 being a bad idea even with order 3. I picked that in my first game as OceaniaI constantly had events where I had 60-80 Heavy Cavalry appearing on my land territories: I was literally losing far more troops fighting rebels than I did fighting the other gods. Can't forget about the lovely event that turns 99% of the population to mandragoras: I had a friend that had that happen to his capital. I'm sure there's even worse stuff that can happen at Misfortune 3, but what I've seen so far convinced me not to go Misfortune 3 ever again.
the 95% of your population dies only needs a forest province and some other random scale, not misf 3 iirc. The main reason not to pick misf-3 or misf + death is because it unlocks very nasty events.

It can happen even with luck. (With the nice event that gives misf scales).
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:22 AM

Corporal

Zywack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post

the 95% of your population dies only needs a forest province and some other random scale, not misf 3 iirc. The main reason not to pick misf-3 or misf + death is because it unlocks very nasty events.

It can happen even with luck. (With the nice event that gives misf scales).
Now I'm curious... If 95% of your population dies is not a "very nasty event", what sort of horrible events comes from Misfortune 3?
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:58 AM

Colonel

it is a nasty event, it just isn't one of the nasty events unlocked by misf3/death
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:52 AM

Sergeant

Shardphoenix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zywack View Post
Now I'm curious... If 95% of your population dies is not a "very nasty event", what sort of horrible events comes from Misfortune 3?
I think, the only event that unlocks with Misfortune-3 is "A huge barbarian horde has unexpectedly attacked and pillaged our province.". But you get many more other bad events - random assasins, barbarian/knight attacks, Dream Horrors...
Old March 9th, 2012, 02:31 PM

Corporal

Shangrila00 is on a distinguished road

Ugh, dream horrors are why you should never take more than Magic 1 and misfortune at the same time. I don't take more than magic 1 unless I have luck 3 or tons of fortunetellers. They're near impossible to deal with early unless you have recruitables with magic weapons, and a terrible pain to deal with even late since you have to commit mages to patrol them out.
Old March 9th, 2012, 03:33 PM

Colonel

Something I never knew but the barbarian hordes also kill off some population.

And the magic is fading events are the worst.
Old March 9th, 2012, 03:45 PM

Sergeant

Shardphoenix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And the magic is fading events are the worst.
I think, fading magic comes with drain, not with misfortune.