.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

View Poll Results: ANONYMOUS POLL - Should banned user mods/maps/etc be deleted from these boards?
Yes - Fair's fair, the board can't forbid a user AND profit from their past contributions. 15 37.50%
No - These mods & maps actually belong to Schrapnel Games, not the authors. 17 42.50%
Abstain - I don't want to be banned form the boards for choosing the wrong answer. 8 20.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 21st, 2010, 04:59 AM

BANNED USER

Scarmiglione is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should banned user mods/maps/etc be deleted from these boards?

Deadlyshoe, as I said, sombre's reasons for wanting his work taken down are irrelevant. whether it's motivated by spite or not is unimportant. I'm not sugggesting the mods should IP police on behalf of any individual user, What i am really saying that there should be a simple list of files removed by request of their authors, that should not be posted again, not just for sombre, but anyone wanting to remove his work for whatever reason. that would not add any significant work for the moderators at all.

The spite I was referring to was the spite of the shrapnel mods for refusing to simply remove a banned user's material. It is entirely correct to hold the mods to a higher standard than the users they ban. Ostensibly, the mods should not be spiteful, even if they are dealing with a "spiteful" user. Especially in this case, where the mods are also paid(?) employees of the company. What's good for the goose is not good for the gander in this case.

Despite what you claim, nothing I've suggested is "above and beyond" common courtesy. What I've suggested is, in fact, the very essence of common courtesy. There's no reason that the admins can't remove a banned users work if that's what he wants, except for a level of spite and immaturity that is unacceptable for admins. it is unnaceptable for users to be spiteful and immature, too, but of course the users in question have already been banned.
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:36 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Lest anyone really cares about this, I should perhaps mention that Sombre asked me some time ago to delete his mods from this forum and give links to the new forum, and as a moderator I can do that, but just haven't gotten around to it. His reasons as I understand them are simply that otherwise people will keep on downloading old versions of his mods and he won't be able to maintain them properly. With mods it's particularly important that everyone has the most up to date version, as confusing errors will arise otherwise (dominions won't tell you you've got the wrong mod version, but in a multiplayer game funny things will happen). It's not a practical solution to ask someone to keep on updating the copies of the mods on this forum. That is definitely too much faff and I wouldn't expect anyone to do it (I certainly won't do it).

Incidentally Sombre's and Burnsaber's mods are amazing, and I highly recommend everyone gets hold of some of them and has a go.

Also I have not read everything so don't know where this "spite" thing has come from, but spite definitely isn't something that Sombre or Burnsaber would bother with.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs

Last edited by llamabeast; December 21st, 2010 at 06:55 AM..
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:34 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarmiglione View Post
What i am really saying that there should be a simple list of files removed by request of their authors, that should not be posted again, not just for sombre, but anyone wanting to remove his work for whatever reason. that would not add any significant work for the moderators at all.
That does sound reasonable. But your link didnt fully give that impression. I was first concerned with whether he only said it there or actually requested it. But it appears a request was made. He didnt say to who. But apprently it was to a moderator which would be proper.

Im not sure though it a list was provided such as specifically which posts he wanted fixed. Im not sure if deleting a thread is proper, but deleting the link definitely would be.

Quote:
Especially in this case, where the mods are also paid(?) employees of the company.
I do not think there are any paid moderators at this time. There has been a "head moderator" paid position but I think the co-owner fills that now.

Quote:
Despite what you claim, nothing I've suggested is "above and beyond" common courtesy. What I've suggested is, in fact, the very essence of common courtesy. There's no reason that the admins can't remove a banned users work if that's what he wants, except for a level of spite and immaturity that is unacceptable for admins. it is unnaceptable for users to be spiteful and immature, too, but of course the users in question have already been banned.
Im not sure Id agree that there is no reason not to delete. In fact I would think there is more reasons not to delete than there is to delete (altho I do think there is good reason to make some deletions). But either way I definitely think the use of "common courtesy" is straining things. Courtesy yes, but common does not ring true at all. Such a request being done on forums would be quite uncommon to the extreme as far as I can tell.
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:24 AM

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I should say that in this case there would be no downside to "deleting" the mods from this forum since I'd just replace them with up-to-date links to newer versions of the same mods. The functionality of this forum would be increased in fact.

Also someone pointed out to me that not having done the updating yet might make Shrapnel look bad (since as a moderator, I am somewhat associated with them). Well, that was not intentional - I saw the request from Sombre as a friend asking a favour, which I just haven't got around to yet.

I really think this is all a non-issue, since as far as I know all parties are happy.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 05:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hoplosternum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
I should say that in this case there would be no downside to "deleting" the mods from this forum since I'd just replace them with up-to-date links to newer versions of the same mods. The functionality of this forum would be increased in fact.

Also someone pointed out to me that not having done the updating yet might make Shrapnel look bad (since as a moderator, I am somewhat associated with them). Well, that was not intentional - I saw the request from Sombre as a friend asking a favour, which I just haven't got around to yet.

I really think this is all a non-issue, since as far as I know all parties are happy.
I hope you won't get around to it Or simply add a link to the posts there rather than delete the downloads.

I don't know how long Dom 3 will last as an actively played game and community. And when the community here, on Sombre's special place and elsewhere has drifted away many of these sites will go too. But not necessarily all. Some may survive and people - probably us finding our old Dom 3 disk in the future - may come looking for mods, maps and threads about this game. The more places they are the more chances we or others will find them.

I doubt I am the only forum member who occasionally digs out an old game to see if it still plays as I remember it. And then goes looking for information, hints, walkthroughs, mods or maps of the game. Google is a great friend here but many links are dead or the sites defunct. I already cannot find the maps to many of the maps I remember downloading for games like HOMM3. Even if some of the sites are still there many of the downloads have gone.

The more sites they are on - even if not in their final version - the more chance that they will be available in the future. And if anyone comes along while the community is still active and expresses any interest in Sombre's mods there are plenty here who will direct them to the latest versions.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:24 PM

Good point! I'll bear that in mind. Also I intend to keep my server (where the mods are now stored) up indefinitely, although I guess you never quite know what will happen.