.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old April 25th, 2011, 02:12 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A More Modern > - Multiplayer "User vs AI" Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Deuce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
Yeah, playing from the WP side would be really great, what country would we be playing?
It would be the Soviet Union. My stockpile of military documentation is on their TO&E, tactics, etc during the mid 80's so that is what I am most familiar with.
Ok. Then we're going.
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:26 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
On maps why not set to max size generate a few & tidy up then if have CD cut & paste into smaller maps. If so wished could be continous areas even doing with overlap of adjacent map if so desired.
Say 5 hex overlap so if maps were 50x50 second would cover from hex row 45 - 95 3rd from 90 - 140
You would get 3x4 =12 maps of that size out of a 160x200 map so need 3 covering diffrent areas with slightly diffrent terrain perhaps for 36 maps.
Take base map generated to produce first map then adjust a few settings for others & generate the next.
Urban field tree & hill height settings come to mind just tweak slightly & generate next map for something similar but say with rolling hills or more trees.
Yeah, have been thinking about that. I think that is how I did it when making the maps for another NATO vs WP game I tried a few years ago. Right now I'm playing in the map editor for the right base map code and setting combinations to see if I can get a good mix for cutting and pasting from. I think the river I plan to include is going to need to be hand made though. I need to make sure is not flagged as river so that units don't get rafts, etc automatically. At this point I am thinking 36x 40-50 maps in a staggered 6x6 grid. The north, south and either western/eastern border will a have river so that the campaign map is a sort of bulge where a bridgehead will need to be eliminated or established, depending on whom I deem the attacker in the campaign.
Old April 26th, 2011, 08:51 AM

Corporal

Richard_H is on a distinguished road

Sorry guys, have been offline for a couple of days, but I see it's gelled nicely. The only thing that strikes me playing the Soviets is that the Battalion Commander will have very little to do except follow his commissar's orders

I've never made maps myself (icons are bad enough!), so will go with the flow on that one. But I presume that the BC will have more maps at his disposal than the company commanders, so that he can co-ordinate their actions. Presumably the BC will be responsible for calling artillery, air strikes etc - will this be at his discretion depending on the tactical situation, or does he get what he's given? I presume a lot will be determined by the number of support points everybody gets?

Will probably have more questions as they come up, but really looking forward to this.

Richard H
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_H View Post
Sorry guys, have been offline for a couple of days, but I see it's gelled nicely. The only thing that strikes me playing the Soviets is that the Battalion Commander will have very little to do except follow his commissar's orders

I've never made maps myself (icons are bad enough!), so will go with the flow on that one. But I presume that the BC will have more maps at his disposal than the company commanders, so that he can co-ordinate their actions. Presumably the BC will be responsible for calling artillery, air strikes etc - will this be at his discretion depending on the tactical situation, or does he get what he's given? I presume a lot will be determined by the number of support points everybody gets?
How it will likely work is the BC will get Resource Points each turn based on different things such as captured and held "maps" and MRC commander victories. He will then parcel out those points to his company commander to provide replacements and supplies (build Points) AND to requisition assets from the Regiment to be allocated as one scenario AUX units.
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:21 PM

Major

Some more "bones". . .

Each Motorized Rifle Company (MRC) will have an attached Medic and Maintanence section (set up as AUX Units similar to the current Commissar Unit in the Russian Civil War vs AI Campaign). It will be important to keep these units alive as they are key to repair and replacements (in an abstract way). Each of these "units" will be worth 1d10 build Points per scenario/mission BUT with conditions. If the unit survives the Scenario/Mission you get 1d10 Build Points. If the unit survives but Exits the map, you only get 1d6 Build Points. If the unit is Destroyed you get 0 Build Points. This means you can get up to 20 bonus Build Points per Scenario/Mission.

NOTE: These are draft Build Point amounts at this time but that system will be used. This does NOT affect extra Build Points that can be allocated by the Battalion Commander as well as those awarded for obtaining Mission objectives.
Old April 30th, 2011, 01:23 AM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Deuce View Post
Some more "bones". . .

Each Motorized Rifle Company (MRC) will have an attached Medic and Maintanence section (set up as AUX Units similar to the current Commissar Unit in the Russian Civil War vs AI Campaign). It will be important to keep these units alive as they are key to repair and replacements (in an abstract way). Each of these "units" will be worth 1d10 build Points per scenario/mission BUT with conditions. If the unit survives the Scenario/Mission you get 1d10 Build Points. If the unit survives but Exits the map, you only get 1d6 Build Points. If the unit is Destroyed you get 0 Build Points. This means you can get up to 20 bonus Build Points per Scenario/Mission.

NOTE: These are draft Build Point amounts at this time but that system will be used. This does NOT affect extra Build Points that can be allocated by the Battalion Commander as well as those awarded for obtaining Mission objectives.

Very good point. Ever thought about the medical units. As an aside thought: "It will be implemented in the oob? would be used in campaigns."
Old April 30th, 2011, 03:18 AM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

Simply picking a Rifle section and changing it's name in the editor will do, eliminating the need for OOB changes, thus, not messing with anyone's pbem.
Old April 30th, 2011, 03:46 AM

Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Very good point. Ever thought about the medical units. As an aside thought: "It will be implemented in the oob? would be used in campaigns."
As iCaMpWiThAWP mentioned, I would be selecting a specific unit and renaming one Medic and one Maintanence in the Scenario Editor and setting them as AUX units. Similar to the Commissar. They will NOT be able to perform any special actions but will simulate their contributions to the MRC as Medics and Mechanics (this is abstracted by the bonus Build Points).

They will be AUX units as they would attached to each MRC from the MRB's OOB and so not part of your organic TO&E. At some times during the campaign you may also be allocated the Soviet equivalent of a FSO (Fire Support Officer) and or ALO (Air Liason Officer). These will likely be replicated by the appropriate FO vehicle, also attached from the MRB, or even MRR, depending on the level of support.
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:25 AM

Major

Based on the organization of a Motorized Rifle Battalion we would need 3 Company Commander's and then a Battalion Commander. The BC may of may not be involved in any actual winSPMBT battles, depending how well the front line is maintained by the MRC commanders.

Won't be starting right away as I am still working out the map and operational movement method issues but getting closer.
Old May 4th, 2011, 09:55 AM

Major

Tentative Motorized Rifle Company's (1010 points) will be comprised of the following;

Code:
[xxx]	Headquarters	(x1)
[547]	Strela-2M SAM	(x1)
[102]	Mech Section	(x6)
[709]	Mech Section	(x3)
[571]	7.62mm PKMS MMG	(x3)
[394]	RPG-7V Team	(x3)
[395]	Metis Team	(x3)
[661]	BTR-70		(x12)