.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old January 11th, 2011, 07:50 PM

Sergeant

Doo is on a distinguished road

Hi People

This is the thread for a five humans vs AI's game.

The map will be Cradle of Dominion, firstly run through the SemiRand program and then passed off to NT Jedi who has offered to improve the AI's chances with a few tricks. Thanks NT Jedi

There are two AI teams, 3 land AI's in a team (Abysia, Niefelheim and Tien Chi) and 1 water AI by itself (Atlantis).

Game Parameters are:

Era: Early Era

Mods: Better Independents 2.1 (click to find the download). We are using the Gold and Resources version.

Patch: 3.26

Renaming: On

Hall of Fame Entries: 15

Gold, Production and Gem Site Frequency: Normal

Research: Hard

Graphs: Off

Turn Timer: I will set the turn timer initially to 48 hours but ask that players, at least up to turn 15, take their turns every 24 hours. Extensions will be granted when asked for. If turns start getting too long the tun timer will be lengthened.

Players:

Endomorphious - C'tis
Hrum - Kailasa
Mauxe - Caelum
Thanatus del Dragos - Fomoria
Doo - Tir na n'Og

During play I intend to record the action from my point of view using FRAPS and creating an AAR.

Turns 1 to 16 for Tir na n'Og AAR

Turns 17 to 23 for Tir an n'Og AAR

Last edited by Doo; February 20th, 2011 at 06:21 AM..
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:12 AM

Sergeant

Default Re: Turbocharged AI vs Humanities Last Hope

Players who have not picked a nation please do so ASAP.
Old January 20th, 2011, 10:54 AM

Sergeant

Thanatus del Dragos is on a distinguished road

Brainstorming time...yea, pretender designed...hmmm...gonna have to think about this...I'm not terribly bright...I don't need a SC becasue I have big *** giants, have to decide on either a rainbow to search for independent mages, as my non capital mages are crap and limited or a bless strategy for my pretty good holy troops and holy mages. Earth and Nature are always a nice choice for giant types, these guys seem to suffer from some end problems...if I go for a bless strategy, then I might as well imprison the god, and make decent order for cash, and research, as my non capital mages are garbage...man, I really am a newb, just can't make a decision yet...going to have to play around tonight.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 12:17 PM

Corporal

Hrum is on a distinguished road

How's your Fomoria build going, Thanatus? I'd offer some advice, but I've never looked at Formoria, or played against them, so I have no idea.

I'm still tinkering with my Kailasa build, but I think I've settled on the general approach I want.

How's everyone else coming along with nation selection?
Old January 22nd, 2011, 12:54 PM

Sergeant

Thanatus del Dragos is on a distinguished road

I have settled on an imprisoned monolith with 4F4E4S6N 5Dom 3 Order and 1 Magic. Going to draft as many unmarked and god kings as possible, and work research to lay down the thunder magic. Thats pretty much all I got so far.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:53 PM

Sergeant

I've yet to hear anything from Mauxe and Endomorphious regarding their nations and pretenders.

I've been informed that what we want to do will be more of an effort to set up on the llamaserver so I've asked Gandalf Parker if we can run the game on his server and he said we can.

I have just pm'ed Mauxe re his nation and I've heard nothing from Endomorphious for a while. I'm keen to go ahead so I will give them until tomorrow to let me know if they are still in and we'll go from there, even if it is just the three of us
Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:25 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

The profiles for Mauxe and Endomorphious indicate they're still active on the forum. Perhaps they don't know the location of this thread?
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:22 PM

Corporal

endomorphious is on a distinguished road

Hi sorry lost track of the thread. As far as kingdom goes Im flexible, lately obsessed with MA Ctis, but will play just about anything.

Just need to clarify is this human players vs AI? Or a free-for-all for all concerned just with some humans and some AI's?

I really dislike adding mods of any kind to my games, since I'm not terribly good at undoing them once their on there. How does the mod affect my regular SP gameplay?

I'd be happy to play EA Ctis, Mictlan, Sauromatia, Mictlan, Arco....
Old January 22nd, 2011, 10:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Dom3 "knows" which mods need to be on and will take care of it for you.

Mods only have to be manually turned on to create a pretender for a game, or if you are playing solo then your mods choices need turned on when you start the game. But after that, everytime you open that game up it will automatically turn on the mods it needs. You dont have to leave any mods on all the time.

IF the game is going to be a direct-connect game (instead of play by email) then even that doesnt have to be done. Connecting to the games server and port will turn on the mods that particular game needs. Then you can quit back to the pretender generation menu being sure that the right mods are on. Its a good way to make sure that you have the correct versions of each mod.

Added note: the maps dont actually have to be downloaded in a direct connect game either. If you connect to a game and you dont have the map, the game will send it to you across the connection. However thats very slow so for larger games its much better to download the map so you dont have to wait for everyone to get their map one at a time.

Oh yeah, and if you have lots of mods you play with often but not always the same ones, you can create a seperate desktop icon to open Dom3 with those mods. My shorcuts to Dom3 games type in the server and the IPs. My shortcuts for solo play change lots of game defaults and use different mod sets.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44262
Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:14 AM

Sergeant

How about EA Ctis then endomorphious?

The Better Independents mod makes the crappier independent recruits cost something like 5000 gold and 900 resources. Basically they become unrecruitable. The purpose of this is to stop the AI from spending all its gold recruiting crap independent troops, instead (hopefully) investing in better troops. Independents that remain recruitable are those that you get for free from lucky events (or imagine what the upkeep on 50 odd 5000 gp's a piece units would be) or independents that are uniquely good (eg amazons riding lizards).

Glad to hear from you endomorphious