BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old March 31st, 2019, 05:09 PM

Corporal

anlubue is on a distinguished road
Default Infantry class differences, MG fire modes while delaying

Next time, I will not just put my goddamn opponents to run. No, no. I will encircle them first and then even my truck drivers will serve them with their pistols. At our next meeting, these bastards better have handkerchiefs with them because they will all cry. I do not want to lose anymore!

So I would like to ask something please. Apart from the random factor that flows into our game and without taking into account the morality and skill:

Would a light infantry unit be more likely to detect an enemy infantry unit than a heavy infantry unit could?

Would a heavy infantry unit equipped with the identical armament of a light infantry unit be better able to fight hard targets?

I wonder if it is more rewarding for me to fire one burst with HMG #1 on a target, then switch to HMG #2, to also fire and repeat this constantly, or would it be smarter to fire HMG #1 twice, and only then switch to HMG #2 to do the same? Other Targets are not involved.

I also wonder if the mortality rate of the first burst of one HMG is higher than the one from his second weapon slot? Or the other way around, if I am in need to save ammo, should I turn off the second weapon slot to get slightly more accuracy, instead of the first?

Come on, you're just waiting for your upgrade anyways? Do not let bulgaria wipe their floor with me again!

Last edited by anlubue; March 31st, 2019 at 05:23 PM..
Old April 1st, 2019, 03:05 AM

Sergeant

sigeena is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Infantry class differences, MG fire modes while delaying

I think their ability to spot doesn't depend on their class of infantry. Even scouts or recce also don't get a bonus. They only get a bonus to their size. Ability to spot seems to rely largely on unit morale and experience.

As for fighting hard targets, I suppose you're referring to anything with armor value of at least 1 all round. I figure as long as the infantry has something with PEN of 1, and WH 3, you're good to go with regards to fighting hard targets, mostly close assaults.

MGs wise, if they are not being interdicted by enemy units, i.e., not getting return fire, I'll use 1 MG team to fire consistently till the EN is retreating. This way, you'll likely maximise the accuracy ladder.

It's rare to run out of ammo, provided you use MGs in an optimal manner. I usually play Battalion sized maps, around 120x80, with around 45-60 turns for Advance and Attack missions. The MGs usually only start firing around turn 10 onwards, and really have to fire continuously from turn 15 onwards. And the battle is usually over by turn 35-45, so there's enough ammo most of the time. Really, it's more optimal to use MGs at around 75% range, anything more than that is really waste of ammo, unless you've got a fat juicy soft-skinned or crew served target. You're also showing your cards too early, be prepare for a response.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sigeena For This Useful Post:
Old April 1st, 2019, 06:38 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Spotting is based on experience, not unit class - though vehicles spot infantry less well than other infantry. Remaining stationary, or only moving a hex or so per turn makes spotting more likely (and the faster you go, the more likely to be spotted).

Scouts have no extra spotting ability, thier size 0 may help them get a little closer and so spot an enemy before he sees them - provided they move slowly.

"fighting hard targets" - I presume you mean assaulting AFV?. In that case having an anti-tank weapon is a major factor, as is experience and morale. If the AFV is open-topped, it is very vulnerable. Also, the less hexes you move towards the assaulted AFV the better your chance.

Firing HMG sections (2 or more H/MMG in a unit) - I never turn off the barrels. Sometimes it is good to spread fire over several units, especially when the enemy is bunched up - HMG have a 1 hex blast radius and so firing at several units in a clump can help to "spread the joy" amongst the clump, though shots that miss can do the same effect anyway, and the multiple barrels in the one unit make sections much better at the job than "singleton" MGs. Also good to shoot up oncoming enemy tanks with as they may have tank riders which will take casualties from MMG fires on the tanks. And a wonderful toy to deal with any enemy that decides to come at you with truck-bone infantry!.

Main thing to remember with H/MMG is to keep beyond enemy infantry LMG range - they will start to take return fire at 600m, so a firing range of 700+. The AI will treat them as priority artillery targets once spotted, so have a half-track nearby to scoot off on if you can.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old April 1st, 2019, 07:52 AM

Corporal

Thanks for your response sigeena.

Then the different infantry classes of light, medium and heavy exist because they are expected in scenarios? An infantry with little ammo and no bazooka is light Infantry, the one with a Panzerfaust would be a heavy one? A light infantry unit less than 6 men would be a reconnaissance unit and therefore named as such because they themselves are not so well recognized plus wear SMG's, therefore do not draw attention quickly. Like that?

Yes, the matter with the MG's. I try to understand the game mechanics and the different units better. That's why I play on a small terrain. 2 mortars behind, two MG's provide cover to four to six Infantry Units which try to stop the advance against a numerically far superior opponent or to reach the opposite side in a breakthrough. I'm trying to lose so I'll get better. To practice supplying, my MG's have 20 shots in the first and second weapon slot, but I will give up the supply, the opponents have none too.

Only training that I play like a jerk. Under real conditions I would have pulled their own underpants over their heads, so I can eat my sauerkraut on their victory hexes without further disturbance.

Much thanks Mobhack, there are no questions left. I think I understood. Presumably I was just confused by the mass of different unit classes and clones of them. Became unsure after dealing with mobhack program.

Yes you both, I meant AFV's with hard targets.

Thanks again both of you! I am gone for a moment. With my new knowledge, I have to prepare a mass migration of Bulgarians towards the Black Sea.

Last edited by anlubue; April 1st, 2019 at 02:25 PM..
Old April 1st, 2019, 08:29 AM

Unit classes exist for OOBs - if you only want a certain type in the mech companies, the leg companies, commando companies etc. Some unit classes have extra attributes - see the Game Guide (e.g. mountaineers are less affected by rough/impassable terrain for movement). Some classes are better as paratroopers (the para and commando classes) - ordinary guys thrown out the back of a plane will have more landing casualties.

There is basically no difference between a "heavy" section and a "light" one bar the name and the unit class. the heavy is typically used for e.g. a British platoon with the HQ and weapons section, the other 3 being of another class. Thus the HQ section has the PIAT and 2in mortar, the rifle sections have the regular platoon weapons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old April 1st, 2019, 09:22 AM

Corporal

Thanks for the comprehensive explanations Andi, this makes me feel much safer for campaigning and selecting my core troops. I might have lost myself in troop selection, as extensive as the German oob is. Lastly I played with US Marines on a small, 10 map long campaign. That was easier for me, because the choice of useful units for my core was much simpler as a noob that I am.

Of course you have heard this many times, those who know the game for a long time know about the connections and love the game anyway. But actually, it's easy to peek behind the curtain as a freshman too and then the playing get's even better and better because it is a lot more fun knowing what to do. It becomes strategic for me and I like that step much.

That is because of the community and because you're so busy with us! Tsssss what I probably wanted to say was just thanks.

I am happy about that great game! Look for yourself, that is me after after triggering a mass panic in an idyllic mountain village near the danube.
Name:  Unbenannt.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  74.2 KB
Old April 3rd, 2019, 01:33 PM

Corporal

Could I provoke the computer opponent to attack with his artillery by placing smoke somewhere on the map?

Would i have to use physical units for that, or could i just as well do that with my light artillery?
Old April 3rd, 2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlubue View Post
Could I provoke the computer opponent to attack with his artillery by placing smoke somewhere on the map?

Would i have to use physical units for that, or could i just as well do that with my light artillery?
Take a rifle section and start popping smoke grenades all around, get his companions to do so as well. Incoming presents may arrive in the mail a little later (the human player popping smoke is an AI Interest item).

Smoke screens by themselves are not of any interest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old April 3rd, 2019, 02:55 PM

Corporal

Many thanks! What a joy to play, there's always more to learn :-)

Hello to everyone, do you have more tricks in stock? Always out with it.
Is it better to buy companies for a long campaign game, or would it be smarter to take platoons? Does it even matter in terms of level them up?

I have created a folder, there I collect every information that can be helpful to me once. Do you guys have something like that too? That was not very smart to make it with snipping tool, I would have better copied the text.

Name:  oijij.JPG
Views: 1085
Size:  96.3 KB

Last edited by anlubue; April 3rd, 2019 at 03:14 PM..
Old April 3rd, 2019, 03:26 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

Purchase companies.

Suggestion, make a HQ company like so (this is just roughly):

A0 (You)
B0 (Your FOO)

AAA section/platoon
ATG section/platoon
Sec platoon for your A0
Arty/Mtr section/platoon
Optional Transport for the above if it did not come with it

Company 1 (I usually purchase infantry company)
Engineer Platoon to cross attach to Company 1
Scout section(1-3) to cross attach to Company 1

Repeat for Company 2

Company 3 (report or make AFV):
1 Tank Company
1 AC section/platoon to cross attach to Tank Company

Etc.

A0 rallies all but goes to Company 1 HQ, 2 HQ, 3 HQ, etc. cross-attached platoons/sections go reverse <- Company 1 etc. then back to A0 etc.