.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 28th, 2003, 01:38 PM

Private

Patrik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Air vs Nature

Quote:
Originally posted by Keir Maxwell:
I have just been testing a fire9/water9 Vanheim race using the Moloch - any race that gets the Moloch can do this without having a death scale as long as its 1 click or more off center for temp.
Why not a death scale for Vanheim? I can see that death might be a problem with maiximum bless races if the sacred troops are resource heavy and capital only. But Vans are neither. I think death -2 and sloth -1 allows for a faster intial expansion.

Patrik
Old November 28th, 2003, 09:50 PM

Sergeant

Chris Byler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by HJ:
quote:
What sacred summons are there? Tomb Wyrms are unholy but thats all I can think of right now though I'm sure there other unholy undead ones. Any good sacred blood summons?
Ermorian wailing ladies and juggernaut come to mind as sacred summons.
T'ien Ch'i Celestial Servant/Soldier and S&A Demon of Heavenly Fires/Rivers are sacred, too.

Void Gate creatures are sacred, but aren't summoned in the ordinary way.
Old November 28th, 2003, 10:00 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Angels(excluding Fallen) are sacred.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old November 28th, 2003, 10:57 PM

Corporal

Teleolurian is on a distinguished road

The precision bonus from high Air magic is usually my driving factor to purchase it, but it's only in testing that I'll take Air 9.

Earth-9 is great for Pythium pretenders, because Reinvigoration works extremely well with Communion Master. Yes, it does.
Old November 28th, 2003, 11:13 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What races other than Van can build Sacred troops at places other than their capital?
Wow, it's just Marignon, I guess. Should be more, I think...
Old November 28th, 2003, 11:18 PM

Sergeant

Keir Maxwell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by HJ:
If I understand correctly, lesser fear -4 which you get from the death 4 blessing results only in 1 square (or maybe 2 squares, it's nt really clear) out of 8 that surround the unit being randomly selected for the effect and enemies, if present in that square, have to make a morale check while having a bonus of +1.
Thanks for putting me onto the morale thread HJ as I missed that one.

Regarding the Fear affects I'm still not sure if its a random square. The only phrase I could find is that "it spreads somewhat eratically." However I'm in a rush so please let me know if I've missed something. Working on the general principle that the developers of Dom tend to make sensible decisions I still suspect that "it spreads somewhat eratically" starting with the square directly in front of the fear unit. Where else is the scariest place to be in relation to a terrifying creature?

I might be guilty of hoping I'm right on this as I do like the idea of adding terror effects on sacred troops for alot of reasons including thematic. If it is useful at low levels it is a good way of getting an extra bless effect when you can't afford to go all the way - often the case. As it adds a new ability at low levels rather than modifying an existing one its potential for changing troop types is significant.

BTW - this is a great thread. I've learnt heaps from following it and testing some of the ideas out.

Cheers

Keir
Old November 28th, 2003, 11:28 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrik:
Why not a death scale for Vanheim? I can see that death might be a problem with maiximum bless races if the sacred troops are resource heavy and capital only. But Vans are neither. I think death -2 and sloth -1 allows for a faster intial expansion.
Indeed. This very line of reasoning has been puzzeling around inside my head. Part of the decision is based on the actual race for me - should a race be dieing off, roughly stable, or growing? As I see it Vanheim main theme (I really don't want to lose Valkrie) should not have a high growth rate and giving them 0 will mean there is a tendency for the race to slowly decline in numbers which feels about right. Having them actually dieing off feels a little odd to me.

However excluding thematic logic (or finding another) a death scale will definitely speed the start in return for sacrificing some long term power. If the fast start grabs enough the long term power will follow. As Van can be built anywhere, at the rate of your dominion per castle, they are one of the few Bless effect races that can consider a death scale. On the other hand if you are a little patient you will rapidly find you have pretty much as many resources as you want so its not a disaster to take the sloth instead of death - just slower.

Cheers

Keir

[ November 29, 2003, 01:30: Message edited by: Keir Maxwell ]
Old November 29th, 2003, 03:29 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Patrik:
Why not a death scale for Vanheim?
. . .

However excluding thematic logic (or finding another) a death scale will

Lead straight to Hellheim with their superior Valkryie and death magic - "Ride of the Valkryie" anyone?

Keir