.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old August 6th, 2016, 10:13 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Alpha Co BLT 1/6 22 MEU OEF-A

See Update 2016.08.06 on first post.

=====
Old August 18th, 2016, 07:47 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.

See update 2016.08.18 on first post.
Old August 18th, 2016, 09:26 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Alpha Co BLT 1/6 22 MEU OEF-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetLT View Post
Just as an observation, the booby traps were not very effective. Almost always I would hit one and suffer no casualties.

The IEDs were much more effective. I would change the booby traps to these or simply to mines for more of a challenge.

Thanks for continuing to make fun new scenarios.
Booby traps were implemented WinSPMBT long ago, they represent the types used by the VC during Vietnam so aren't overly lethal, as they were intended to cause injuries more then kill.
IED's are a recent addition and tend to represent big 2000#/truck bomb type stuff, I've seen them destroy a tank 3 hexes (150m) from the explosion location.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:47 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Quote:
Just as an observation, the booby traps were not very effective. Almost always I would hit one and suffer no casualties.

The IEDs were much more effective. I would change the booby traps to these or simply to mines for more of a challenge.

Booby traps were implemented WinSPMBT long ago, they represent the types used by the VC during Vietnam so aren't overly lethal, as they were intended to cause injuries more then kill.
IED's are a recent addition and tend to represent big 2000#/truck bomb type stuff, I've seen them destroy a tank 3 hexes (150m) from the explosion location.
True. That may explain why IED ordinance is of varying strengths given locale. An IED on a road or highway removed from homes will mostly likely be the big buster, whilst one on a foot path in an agricultural village would be of variety to maim, to inflict casualties without destroying the homes of the people that support the insurgency.

So, in the game mines and yes booby traps can be reflective of what the scenario is depicting from real life encounters.

=====
Old August 19th, 2016, 08:53 PM

Lieutenant General

For the most part the people that use big IED's aren't too concerned about collateral damage. Whereas most Western militaries have be very careful because the press/public screams bloody murder every time a stray puppy is killed.

Take a moment and consider the modern reaction to WW II carpet bombing.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old August 20th, 2016, 08:51 AM

Captain

Potion Re: Alpha Co BLT 1/6 22 MEU OEF-A

Quote:

I hear you.

I'm playing around with an idea inspired by one of Wild Bill's scenario that I used in my first scenario: 265 Afghan Wars - A01 Ambush. There, I detonated ammo carriers to limit damage.

So, here I am thinking to increase the damage of a booby trap, but limit that damage below that of an IED, by putting an ammo carrier with a booby trap in the same hex, the blast from the booby trap may detonate the ammo carrier. One side or the other looses a guy, but alas I could assign the cost of the ammo carrier to say 1 making the loss insignificant.

This may make the booby trap more lethal but limit the effective blast radius that I am looking to mirror, and addresses your concerns as well.

=====
Old August 20th, 2016, 02:14 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

If you want bigger booby trap without making a new larger weapon have you tried modifying it.
1) put another booby trap in weapon slot 2, more chance of a kill same blast radius?
2) swap the booby trap weapon for something bigger, say a satchel charge.

I am assuming the unit class is what dictates the behaviour so changing the weapon it should still go off.

The more weapon slots you use (if they all fire) the greater the chance of the unit being hit & I would expect greater suppresion.
Old August 20th, 2016, 03:13 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
If you want bigger booby trap without making a new larger weapon have you tried modifying it.
1) put another booby trap in weapon slot 2, more chance of a kill same blast radius?
2) swap the booby trap weapon for something bigger, say a satchel charge.

I am assuming the unit class is what dictates the behaviour so changing the weapon it should still go off.

The more weapon slots you use (if they all fire) the greater the chance of the unit being hit & I would expect greater suppresion.
Yes, the unit class for the booby trap is Explosive or 134, and the weapon class is Explosives or 25. I thought that as well, to load the weapon slots with other ordinance; unfortunately, satchel charge or anti-tank mines have a different weapon class (weapon class 2) and it appears they can be fired but not detonated.

It is possible my test cases were flawed. I'll double back on that.

Thanks Imp.

=====
Old August 20th, 2016, 04:21 PM

Lieutenant General

Probably not.
The Weapon Class determines how a weapon is fired/activated/behaves. So if you want a deadlier booby trap add a WC=25 (explosives) or possibly WC=11 (bomb) or WC=18 (napalm) in weapon slots #2, #3, and #4.
You might also try WC=14 (cluster bomb) as well just for fun! (No clue if this will work but it would be amusing if it did)

Old August 20th, 2016, 05:25 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
See update 2016.08.18 on first post.
Current .zip has ONLY the maps, no scenario files.