Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 3rd, 2008, 11:05 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Hell is For Heroes.

Heh. Huh.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:34 PM

Captain

dmm is on a distinguished road

So glad to hear that they are married. Now I can let my kids read it.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:54 PM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
narf poit chez BOOM said:
Heh. Huh.
I slave away until 5am to bring you the final installment of HifH, and this is the thanks I get? Seriously though, given that Komatsu's exposition was written around 4:30am, if there are any inconsistencies or gaping plot holes, feel free to point them out before I let less forgiving eyes gaze upon it.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 11:34 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Wow.

That was worth the wait.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:53 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

It was worth the wait. My summary is accurate as to my reaction, although not conveying the depth of it.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old July 7th, 2008, 02:10 AM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

That's it? An E.E. Smith space battle and no follow up for a dozen different characters who've appeared in the story but haven't been heard from in a long time?
Old July 8th, 2008, 06:59 PM

Captain

You have anyone in particular in mind, Munch? Everyone else is either dead, or fulfilled their purpose in the story. I write stories about defining moments in my character's lives, not their biographies. Which is a good thing, really, seeing as how my main characters are immortal, there can be no bittersweet ending for them as they lie on their deathbed surrounded by loved ones, content in knowing that their life's work is done. There can be only a brutal, violent death for Kagan and Alice, but I decided to end things on a slightly less depressing note. Or maybe they don't meet a bad end. Maybe the two of them are there to witness the death of the last star in the universe, to be left alone as the only living beings in all of existence. But then what?

That being said, if you think I forgot about someone important, by all means tell me who, and maybe they might get a paragraph or two when I go back through the whole editing phase.
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:23 AM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Well, there were so many plot twists maybe I've lost count/track of characters. Or maybe it's not so much the characters (although I do wonder what happened to the guy (?) who could turn into a table) but just the plot itself. Right here at the end we get a bald statement about 'manipulating galactic events'-- implying some pretty massive backstory details -- and yet no explanation. How was this 'manipulating' done from a fleet of thousands of warships that had to remain concealed? What sort of resources does a warfleet carry for long-term (really long term) covert activities? What sort of 'galactic events' do you manipulate, or can you manipulate, to influence the behavior of aliens that are no longer even in contact with the culture/civilization you have access to? (Living entirely on this single mothership, it doesn't seem likely that they are very susceptible to infiltration or psy-ops...) It's just a very sudden 'pow' ending that seems disappointing because it so abrupt.
Old July 9th, 2008, 02:35 AM

Captain

Quote:
Baron Munchausen said:
Well, there were so many plot twists maybe I've lost count/track of characters. Or maybe it's not so much the characters (although I do wonder what happened to the guy (?) who could turn into a table) but just the plot itself. Right here at the end we get a bald statement about 'manipulating galactic events'-- implying some pretty massive backstory details -- and yet no explanation. How was this 'manipulating' done from a fleet of thousands of warships that had to remain concealed? What sort of resources does a warfleet carry for long-term (really long term) covert activities? What sort of 'galactic events' do you manipulate, or can you manipulate, to influence the behavior of aliens that are no longer even in contact with the culture/civilization you have access to? (Living entirely on this single mothership, it doesn't seem likely that they are very susceptible to infiltration or psy-ops...) It's just a very sudden 'pow' ending that seems disappointing because it so abrupt.
That's a fair critism. I suppose part of the abruptness of the ending is a result of the battle between two parts of my mind; one insisting I finally finish the story, and the other pointing out that it is 5am and I should be sleeping. But do bear in mind that this is Alice we're talking about. Or rather, a small army of them. I believe the amount of mischief they could get into is inversely proportional to the odds of them ever telling one what they were up to.

Though I only really aluded to it, the Enemy are a race of interstellar scavangers. They drift from galaxy to galaxy, seeking out advanced civilizations, only to all but anihilate them, then take what resources & technology they desire before moving on to a new area of space. Of course, since none of the characters in HifH are aware of this, it makes it difficult to explain without feeling like the explanation was cludged in there. I thought about putting in a scene or two aboard the Enemy mothership, but since in my mind the Enemy are unknowable, and entirely incomprehensible to the human mind, I don't see how I could write that.

Komatsu was working on the hypothesis that, in order to lure them back, one would not need any agents aboard any of their vessels; one would simply have to make it appear that the Terran Imperium once again had something worth taking. I'm of the thinking that might need to work it's way into her exposition at the end, though I'm also thinking that said exposition is quite long enough as it is.

As for the warfleet, that's fairly easily explained. You might have noticed no mention of any crew on any of the ships. That's because they were essentially drone ships, slaved to the Murder of Creation and under the fine control of their individual A.I.s The Murder was used as Komatsu's base of operations, the rest of the fleet was hibernating in the deepest reaches of null-space. Which is why one did not see them trundling around until Komatsu's plan was coming to fruition, at which point they became the answer to more than one, "What the hell was that?"

Now that I think about it, I did leave rather a lot out of the big ole ending exposition...
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:50 AM

Captain

TurinTurambar is on a distinguished road

Well then, we all eagerly await the next post that begins:

Epilogue:

-----------------------

TT

Geekdom is eternal... you will be assimilated... resistance is futile.

A+ Se GdY S++ Fr- C* Cs* Sf- Ai++ Au>M! M- Mp! S@ Ss+ R! Pw+ Fq++ Nd? Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb-- L-- Tcp

'We, the weird, chasing the pointless, for no reason at all, have been finding out things that have no effect on anything important for at least a couple days and are now qualified to chase our tails to the merriment of all watching.'-Narf et al

"Of course, you don't want to be going about handing out immortality willy-nilly, that just wouldn't be responsible." -O'Shea