.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 19th, 2009, 10:20 PM

Private

Caradryan is on a distinguished road
Default Where do newbies go to rant about the game?

Because the Reviews thread seemed to be for more formalized occasions, so I'm going to pipe up and say this now.

Illwinter game Design, you guys are exceptional. Exceptionally awesome

I usually won't go through the trouble of finding or buying a new copy, especially since I initially found Dominion while going through a massive local garage sale that had tons and tons of games. I consider myself to be picky - to me, the glory days of TBS were long past, and current games lean toward more of the Starcraftesque build-kill-click model. Strategy games lost the meaning of strategy and became, quite literally, "how many times can you click?"

Dominion 3, however, is different. The graphics are a little less desirable, sure, but the sheer gameplay value...oh, man. You have no idea what you've done, have you? You're literally ruining the lives of good, solid 4.0 biochemistry and chemical engineering students. Hell, you've even gotten English majors that wouldn't play games hooked. I am actually afraid to introduce people to Dominion 3 now - so far, only of us (the aspiring physicist) have managed to resist it. People have commandeered my laptop and is currently running hot-seat games.

Mm, well, to be realistic, you aren't really ruining our lives - more like enriching it, since we're still getting work done on a daily basis. This game is fun, if insanely complicated. Since the garage-copied game I got didn't come with a manual, we had a whale of a time figuring out stuff. But still, even with the limited knowledge we possess, even college students can figure out that this is just amazing.

I know you probably get comments and reviews like this all the time, but please don't be surprised if you find some orders coming from New York state in the near future. At any rate, I DEFINITELY know which game to recommend for the Campus Times next month.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caradryan For This Useful Post:
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:46 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where do newbies go to rant about the game?

Hmm. To answer the initial question, right here.

The manual is overrated. Yeah, you need it, and it's a great piece of work, but you can learn the game by studying the board posts.

Last edited by Lingchih; January 19th, 2009 at 10:54 PM..
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road

Actually, Lingchih, you can learn _the way forumgoers play the game_ by studying the board posts. Tinkering with it by yourself is probably the best way of developing your own approach to the game.
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:58 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

I'd say post it on Amazon - maybe make a List there so that when someone searches for something like Age of Wonders (or whatever) they run across Dom 3. Spread the sales, and maybe we'll see Dom 4.
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:24 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

The 'problem' with the manual is that there have been so many updates it is completely out of date in many areas.

These boards are better for getting answers to questions anyway, I've yet to see a 'RTFM' response to any question anyway.
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:34 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Caradryan, even though you're a starving student and everything, I think if you really like the game then you should go and buy a sparkling new copy with the manual. Sure, some of the raw data is scattered about in the FAQ, and Edi's DB, and Cleveland's forging spreadsheet. But the manual contains most of the data you need, all in one handy little package. And you won't understand what some of the data means without the manual.

Here's some of the important stuff that's in the manual, but not posted online, at least as far as I'm aware. This is just off the top of my head:

- DRN probability table
- Turn Resolution Sequence
- National Terrain-Fort mapping
- National PD reference
- Magic items organized by item type (unlike spells, in the game you won't even see the items you're missing because you don't have the appropriate forge paths)

There's also chapters on combat, magic, and dominion spread, and reading these will give you a much better understanding of how the game works.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

AdmiralZhao is on a distinguished road

I'd agree with VFB. After you've played 100+ hours you should definitely buy a copy.
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:30 AM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

I also agree with vfb. It's hard to know the significance of Awe and Morale checks and poison mechanics and fatigue, etc., unless you have the formulas. Not to mention even knowing what a DRN is. The manual is wrong about some things but I think it's an essential place to start.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:22 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

As long as I can remember, Gandalf has been around with his special signatures. This fits the original post perfectly:

Gandalf Parker wrote:
Quote:
WARNING: this game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices,
or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not
think about Dominions strategys while operating heavy machinery. The
demo has built-in protections which should not be bypassed. They are for
your health as much as for monetary reasons. Do not begin on the full
version without first making arrangments for someone to check on you
daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours
straight then you should consult a physician immeadiately (Do NOT show
him the game!)
Old January 20th, 2009, 04:26 AM

Sergeant

Horst F. JENS is on a distinguished road

Even after all those patches, the manual is still handy to quick lookup items or spells.

What i like most on the manual is the nation description that gives the historical/fantasy background from the developers viewpoint for each nation & era.

The manual also provides you with some basic god design/strategy hints for each nation & era. Very worthy read.

Of course the nations introduced with later patches are missing.