.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old January 28th, 2009, 06:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod in Progress: CPCS - CrossPathCombatSpells

Aezeal: Maybe I'm confused with Charge Body. Charge Body triggers on attack or hit? If it's hit, then Twist Fate doesn't combo with it, exactly. If on attack, it's a bit more problematic.

But still... what's not to like about a spell that can actually motivate something other than SC generation? Wouldn't that just increase the options available?

The one nation that would love this above all else (Caelum) both drastically needs something to improve the quality of their infantry, and doesn't normally get Astral magic. Alternately, you could see this as actually giving a use to Caelum's Shock-resistant troops.
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:45 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber View Post
I decided to make this mod as "Vanilla"-friendly as possible and fitting to the Dominions world. Since there are no vanilla crosspath holy spells, I've decided against them.

Perhaps after I've finished the first spells.
Earth/Holy spells exist for MA Ulm. I agree with your decision, just thought to point that out.

It looks like, somehow, you confused me with Turin.

Blood/Fire: Blood Boil & Hellfire already exist
Blood in general: Blood 1 mages can all bloodhunt. That alone makes them special and good, so they don't necessarily need any combat capability. Besides, they can always summon imps.

Gifts from Heaven: I think this is Earth/Astral, not Astral/Earth.

Earth/Death: one or the other could be damage spell that only works against inanimates (if that can be done). Kind of Dust to Dust, but also works against constructs.
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoperez View Post
It looks like, somehow, you confused me with Turin.

Blood/Fire: Blood Boil & Hellfire already exist
Blood in general: Blood 1 mages can all bloodhunt. That alone makes them special and good, so they don't necessarily need any combat capability. Besides, they can always summon imps.

Gifts from Heaven: I think this is Earth/Astral, not Astral/Earth.

Earth/Death: one or the other could be damage spell that only works against inanimates (if that can be done). Kind of Dust to Dust, but also works against constructs.
Sorry about the mixup. a Brainfart on my part.

Blood Thing: You're right. Still might be intresting to see more combat blood spells. I just made mutate (since it was easy)

Earth/Death: Yeah, I'll combine Fall of Muscle and Steel. Just because I have to. It appears that if you use a affect that's not in any vanilla spell (like causing "Lost an Arm" affliction, it's sort of "invisible" to the casting AI, it won't cast it even when scripted since the AI thinks that the spell doesn't do anything. So you'll have to combine a "vanilla" effect with a exotic one. Spell that causes "Weaknened" is not okay, but spell that causes Armor Destruction + "Weakened" is. I can't make a spell that targets only constucts, thought (you can only rule them out). So now I'm needing a D/E spell. Hmm.. it seems that yuo can cause "Starvation" by spell..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
For the fatigue-reducing cloud, I was thinking you'd pretty much not be able to give it more than 1 point of fatigue reduction. This is what relief gives, but because of DRN rolls it can give more than that. Basically I was talking about a smaller scale relief spell, plus if you make it a cloud it can affect enemy units also. Path requirements would be something like air/nature, air/water, or water/nature. If you don't like the idea that's fine though.
That's a pretty good idea. Since troops move around the battlefield, it'll be hard to abuse. If I also make it heal troops, then AI will think of it as healing spell and target only wounded troops (Which means that it'll be hard to "cloud" your mages). The effect would quite similar to the spell "healing mists" so no N/A as path combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedalkenBear View Post
S/A: Heavenly Glow, Grant a unit (square, etc.) Awe.

A/D: Styxian Storm, puts up a Storm and drops clouds that Feeblemind anyone in them (MR negates).

A/S: Wrathful Descent, Stellar Cascades + lingering cloud that does AN lightning damage.

W/N: Ink Cloud, Underwater only, Poison damage + blind
Heavenly Glow: unfortunately, you can't give awe by spell.

Styxian Storm and Wrathful Descent: I gave some thoughts on the issue of battle enchanments, see the new Design Goals.

Ink Cloud: Quite nice, I like it. I'll make the blindness resistable by def, like earthquake ("can you close your eyes in time?")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes View Post
Some ideas to fill your open slots:

A/S: Shield of the Heavens, adds twist fate & charged body in a large area.

F/E: Summon Magma Elemental, as a water elemental but 2 crush attacks + Flame Strike, some protection, fire immunity/cold vulnerability and weak fire shield but no trample.
Con- Requires new sprite

F/N: Corpus Annihilō (Latin: Body to Nothing) as soul slay/bone melter but also deals fire damage in a small area.

F/S: Daystar's Blessing, adding flaming weapon, heat radiation and fire immunity effects as a self-buff. If flaming weapon doesn't work (no other spell does it), then fire shield.

E/N: Elemental Warding, as resist elements nature buff but in a small area, large with gem cost.
Shield of the Heavens: I like the idea, but "reneweable" Twist Fate (especially with large AoE!) might be problematic. I can counteract that thought, I'll give hideously abysmal range so you can' rebuff your troops in comabt.

Summon Magma Elemental: Ok idea, but I really won't have time to graphics and mod 50+ spells! If someone gives me reasonably good and dominion-fitting graphics, I can make summon spell for them and it in the mod.

Corpus Annhilo: Awesome idea! It's a shame it can't be done. You can't do spell with "if", since #nextspell always goes off. This spell would be, if check fails and dude dies, do fire damage.

Daystar's Blessing: Intresting theme. I'll ponder this..

Elemental Warding: Nice work!

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:54 PM

The old "divine armanents" Dom:PPP bless effect might still be accessible. I think it would be +2 att, +2 def and flaming weapons, but the fire damage at least used to deal extra damage to undead. I don't know how much the new blessings replaced the old one and how much the old stuff was just left unused.
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM

Corporal

darloth is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to have cloud spells that trigger exotic effects? I was considering the N/E (or maybe E/N) spell Rampant Overgrowth, that makes a cloud spell that does very small or nil damage, but repeatedly entangles anything in it.
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:50 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure it should be possible to give all spell effects all sorts of ranges or targets that already exist in game
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:27 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by darloth View Post
Is it possible to have cloud spells that trigger exotic effects? I was considering the N/E (or maybe E/N) spell Rampant Overgrowth, that makes a cloud spell that does very small or nil damage, but repeatedly entangles anything in it.
Yeah, I think that's possible. Your idea is now added to the list as "Gaia's Revenge".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoperez View Post
The old "divine armanents" Dom:PPP bless effect might still be accessible. I think it would be +2 att, +2 def and flaming weapons, but the fire damage at least used to deal extra damage to undead. I don't know how much the new blessings replaced the old one and how much the old stuff was just left unused.
Hmm.. That would be a intresting buff. I can't see the effect in the Dr.P's spell lookup, thought. If someone would be willing to make a small code dive, the results could be intresting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
I'm pretty sure it should be possible to give all spell effects all sorts of ranges or targets that already exist in game
Yeah, lots of stuff is possible. If someone is intrested, download Dr.P's spell lookup here:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...t=Spell+Lookup

Then open the "bitmask" - excel chart. There's a list of debuffs and buffs that you can mod.

And then some questions of my own:

-Does anyone know what are actual bonuses granted by the "unholy power" - effect?

-Does anyone the link to the MoD fix thread? The actual mod would also be useful. My forum search proved.. inefficient. I could probably make cloud spells by #copyspelling existing cloud spells, but knowing how it's really done would expand my options.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.

Last edited by Burnsaber; January 30th, 2009 at 12:37 AM..
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:53 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

I love what you're doing here! It's something I've wanted to see for ages..... to justify cross-path mages of all flavors, and make randoms a bit more exciting. Anyway, I haven't read through everything yet, but I saw W+E was open, and I was inspired -

Deep Drowning

2W+1E, Alt 4, R= 25+,Dam= 20+AN (Fatigue damage only), AoE= 2+, NoE= 1, Prc= -2, UW++, MR

The caster animates the sand, silt, and muck of the seabed, swirling it around his foes until the murky sludge cakes their gills, sending the victims into terrible spasms of asphyxiation.

<3
The Following User Says Thank You to JimMorrison For This Useful Post:
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

I'll hope for this to become an enjoyable and balanced mod - The ideas are very good
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber View Post
-Does anyone the link to the MoD fix thread? The actual mod would also be useful. My forum search proved.. inefficient. I could probably make cloud spells by #copyspelling existing cloud spells, but knowing how it's really done would expand my options.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...s+of+deception

It's by Twan. The effect is

#eff 9043

and the clouds stay in the battlefield for 9 turns, so it could be that +1000 to #eff creates a cloud.

I wonder what happens if a cloud spell uses #nextspell "flame eruption"? Will the cloud explode every turn? What about a cloud followed by Falling Frost, would it center on the cloud or would the cloud "cast" it and choose a target as normal?

Possible Earth/Air spell: has three low-precision effects, each casts an area buff around itself. It's like Legions of Steel, except that it covers an uneven area, and you get more effects with higher Earth (so the affected area scales up very fast).
The Following User Says Thank You to Endoperez For This Useful Post: