.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3 no longer available from Shrapnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
Setting up a dedicated forum takes at the very least time and effort, both in the setup and maintenance, but it gives the most control. It's a question of resources and of how much free time and effort outsiders are willing to dedicate to make things happen if Illwinter cannot go beyond what there is due to their own time and resource limitations.
I'd like to volunteer GP for this
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Heehee. You forgot to add the target to that statement.
In any case, Been there Done that. Servers, generators, store, anything Dom3 needed. But its hard to justify the time now. The income is closed off. If it opens up later maybe.

Plus we have had an older crowd for over a decade. I am not sure if even I have the patience and diplomacy to offer support to the $5 horde. I dont know if anyone will.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:10 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

I'll be interested to see how the change in distributors (and presumably price point) plays out. What is the potential audience that either balked at the price or just had never heard of the game?

Sure, the game has been out for six years, but cutting edge graphics were never its selling point so players for whom that's key likely wouldn't have been interested in it at launch either. Other things that some TBS players would find deal-breakers (say, the lack of full tactical combat) were just as much the case when the game was released as now. In short, I think the game ages well (I've always viewed Dom as being like a really good board game that you go back to over a long period of time).

And I have to admit to some curiosity as to whether, if the game sells well, it will renew IWs interest in the game. Not so much because of the money involved but because an influx of new players combined with having taken a break from Dom for a few years to concentrate on CoE might leave them ready to focus on Dom for a while.

Regarding Shrapnel, I think they're in a difficult position. It seems to me that their advantage was in providing a distribution channel to indie developers who wouldn't have had a chance at getting retail shelf space. But with the migration of PC gaming to digital distribution it eliminates the need for a lot of the services they provide developers. No physical product means no printing manuals, burning CDs and fulfilling orders. Payment processing can be handled just as easily by a digital distributor. Shrapnel might be able to offer a better revenue share but would that outweigh the much greater audience a digital distributor would provide for a developer's games?
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:15 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
... Calahan is back?
Is there some (free) software out there, where you can give it some forum posts and it will analyze the style/syntax/vocabulary and indicate whether the posts come from the same person?
Well looking at the style of writing, and the type of reactions it elicits (thanks Hishtagat, you are my filthy assistant) it can only be calahan.

Also:
[Sensori] Clint Eastwood was Cal(l)ahan.
[Sensori] Clint Eastwood was also the man with no name.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:25 PM

Corporal

momfreeek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excist View Post
Yes, I am aware that if you know in advance that the AI is prone to one mistake or another there are sometimes work arounds to prevent them from exhibiting that particular brain fart, but it doesn't mean that the AI doesn't need improvement in order to "deserve a place alongside modern titles".
To qualify my opinion:

I am a dom3 noob. I'm very happy with my purchase and that I've got my moneys worth from dom3 even if I never played it again.

Modern games have their shortcomings too and rarely do they interest me so much or hold my attention so long. The only other game I can think of that even has unit scripting is dragon-age-origins and thats not multiplayer (I'm sure there's plenty more examples.. i'd be interested to know).
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:29 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrave View Post
(No offence intended, but) What makes you think that would have anything to do with money? I would wager money would not be the issue....
Ok, you must be a Gand-alt, that's definitely one of Gandalf's themes. *Goes to check JonBrave's post history for the phrase "there's pros and cons to everything" in order to confirm suspicion*
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
I'll be interested to see how the change in distributors (and presumably price point) plays out. What is the potential audience that either balked at the price or just had never heard of the game?
Illwinters other game reflects some of that. Even with no PR staff, steam does get a game noticed. Its definitely a workable option for those that want it.

Quote:
And I have to admit to some curiosity as to whether, if the game sells well, it will renew IWs interest in the game. Not so much because of the money involved but because an influx of new players combined with having taken a break from Dom for a few years to concentrate on CoE might leave them ready to focus on Dom for a while.
Illwinter has tried many times to explain their position on this. Money was never a motive. More money is unlikely to change what they do and why. They have day jobs and they do this for their own fun. It is driven and guided more by player appreciation. Over the years they have tried many changes that "knowledgable" players have pushed with accompanying impact on the companys "income"

Quote:
Shrapnel might be able to offer a better revenue share but would that outweigh the much greater audience a digital distributor would provide for a developer's games?
Everything has its pros and cons. That discussion is also in many threads here. But the support level for DD goes up tremendously. It is hard to fathom but any company can verify it. The big boy business plan tends to carry with it a requirement to want to be a big boy. More people for the support level unless you would rather just have the money and dump the support.

But its all just another option for those who want an option. As long as there are options out there, its just noisy to try and convince any of them to operate like the other. Its worth watching. But not worth arguing. IMHO
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:54 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Illwinter has tried many times to explain their position on this. Money was never a motive. More money is unlikely to change what they do and why. They have day jobs and they do this for their own fun.
And I made a point of saying it wouldn't be based on money.

Quote:
Over the years they have tried many changes that "knowledgable" players have pushed with accompanying impact on the companys "income"
I have no idea what that means. Please clarify.

Quote:
Everything has its pros and cons. That discussion is also in many threads here. But the support level for DD goes up tremendously. It is hard to fathom but any company can verify it. The big boy business plan tends to carry with it a requirement to want to be a big boy. More people for the support level unless you would rather just have the money and dump the support.
Do you mean in the sense that more sales equals more players and thus more support requests or are you saying that DD attracts a different (presumably less knowledgeable) audience that has a higher frequency of support requests?
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Quote:
Over the years they have tried many changes that "knowledgable" players have pushed with accompanying impact on the companys "income"
I have no idea what that means. Please clarify.
I dont HAVE to be non-insulting anymore but I generally try anyway. Not YOU but others over the years have pushed the money aspect rudely while Illwinter has explained the joy and job satisfaction aspect. The two do not go hand in hand. by some methods, they can even be counter.

Quote:
Quote:
Do you mean in the sense that more sales equals more players and thus more support requests or are you saying that DD attracts a different (presumably less knowledgeable) audience that has a higher frequency of support requests?
I dont know. Not my area to study altho I have worked for companies that had people who did. The all important price break point that people feel has been missed involves more than just income. Many mention the phrase target demographics but dont seem to realize that the change in target demographics is also a change in the player community that is created.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

Admiral_Aorta is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Sure, the game has been out for six years, but cutting edge graphics were never its selling point so players for whom that's key likely wouldn't have been interested in it at launch either. Other things that some TBS players would find deal-breakers (say, the lack of full tactical combat) were just as much the case when the game was released as now. In short, I think the game ages well (I've always viewed Dom as being like a really good board game that you go back to over a long period of time).

Regarding Shrapnel, I think they're in a difficult position. It seems to me that their advantage was in providing a distribution channel to indie developers who wouldn't have had a chance at getting retail shelf space. But with the migration of PC gaming to digital distribution it eliminates the need for a lot of the services they provide developers. No physical product means no printing manuals, burning CDs and fulfilling orders. Payment processing can be handled just as easily by a digital distributor. Shrapnel might be able to offer a better revenue share but would that outweigh the much greater audience a digital distributor would provide for a developer's games?
Are you seriously that baffled as to why people don't want to pay 60 of your earth dollars for a six year old game? Of course it stops people who would otherwise be interested from buying it.

This Machine Kills Fascists