The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 11th, 2006, 11:47 PM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road
Default SE:V, what\'s not working? Bugs too.

I don't really want to sound negative here, but I'm not getting this game until some of the basics work. By reading other threads, it seems like a lot of things don't work. I'd not like to get into big discussions here about all the side issues, just make a list of things that don't work so that as the patches get released I can figure out when/if I will eventually buy this game. Here's a list from my memory of reading other threads. Also, I'm not real interested in moddable or modding things either, just the stuff in stock that's supposed to work. Please add/correct, maybe we can make a consolidated buglist, maybe the beta testers can help. Please take side discussions and annoyances, feature requests and preferences to other threads:

(and before you post it, no thanks, I prefer the Shrapnel forums)

Not working:

Fleet supplies
Free Fighter generation
organic armor
crystalline armor
emmissive armor
alliances
some special damage types: crew killing from Toxic Injectors, othes?
certain abilities, which?
expected results on research screen is incomplete
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:07 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE:V, what\'s not working? Bugs too.

Storms, planets, and stars are losing their abilities after the first turn (damage from storms, ruins on planets, star-unstable for stars, etc)

Drones can't move

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:23 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

I have been using drones in my current game and they appear to work. some details.

they move in system. They don't move in the sector map but that could be because my drones have no warheads. Note the manual states you CANNOT control drones. They are, well, drones, their onboard computer makes the decisions for them.
So when the enemy attacks my drones they just sit there doing nothing until the enemy destroys them.

Something else I noticed. I fit my drones out with supply storage and a cloaking device and I found that the drones do not use up supplies. I don't know if there is something wrong with drones that they don't use supplies or if some part of the engines or storage now makes more supplies and drones use so little but I have cloaked drones just stitting in enemy space observing everything and unless the enemy finds them they aren't going to go.
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:24 AM

Yes, I should have specified that. Its a bug in the combat movement system; units are using GROUND movement abiities in combat, and since the default engines provide no ground movement..

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:29 AM

Major General

ah right, I assumed the drones didn't act as they couldn't do anything. That IS something that needs fixing.

I've tried testing fighters and they moved but it always freezes when they start shooting each other.
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:37 AM

Sergeant

Devnullicus is on a distinguished road

I don't have the release-version yet, so all I can go off is the demo. These may or may not still be problems in the release version:

- Can't attack planets or fleets near planets sometimes because the combat ends too soon. This happens most often when planets have no population but still have structures

- happiness is reversed. i.e. negatives to happiness seem to get applied as positives (and vice versa)

- Strategic combat seems to crash afterwards, quite often. Usually with a "range check error"

- missiles seem to have a hard-coded max range that is too short

- I'm not sure if direct-fire weapons EVER miss

- Ship design seems to crash sometimes with a "range check error", especially after deleting a component

- Can't move UI windows on the screen. Can't resize them either. Makes the really nice custom colony layout feature much less useful since it can't fit much on the screen.

- Can't hit the other deck buttons in ship design screen when holding a component

- Carriers seem to run out of supplies VERY quickly - the supplies they give fighters don't seem to get reabsorbed when the fighters are loaded onto them again. This makes carriers one-shot wonders.

- When looking at upcoming techs on research screen, can't click on them to see what you're going to get. Makes research kind of a gamble until you know the game better.

- Showing a weapons report does not take into account the currently selected mount type (always uses base stats)

- Weapon Mounts do not seem to upgrade properly when upgrading a design. The weapon upgrades, but the mount doesn't seem to. So if you have a level 1 mount and level 1 wep on a design and later you research level 3 mounts and level 5 weapons and then upgrade your ship, the new ship will have level 1 mounts with level 5 weapons...or so it seems based on a little number crunching. If you delete the weapon and then select the new mount and place a new copy of the weapon, it upgrades fine. But it's a manual step.
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:41 AM

Major General

Quote:
Devnullicus said:

- I'm not sure if direct-fire weapons EVER miss

It definitely does happen. I noted that 1 ship was moving about while the enemy shot at it. Some beams hit but others missed it as it avoided them.
Old October 12th, 2006, 02:01 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thermodyne is on a distinguished road

Is ship/fleet supply a bug, or a result of the change in the way resupply works?

Think about it
Old October 12th, 2006, 02:06 AM

Major General

I don't know about a bug, but I noticed a difference when I built a resupply depot.

It can give only a certain number of supplies to a ship, but it is the same to every ship and it also worked for any ship in the system, although it is less if it is not actually over the planet.
Old October 12th, 2006, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Thermodyne said:
Is ship/fleet supply a bug, or a result of the change in the way resupply works?
Its a bug, addressed at least partially in the first patch. (two bugs, actually..)

The depots are supposed to work system-wide, but I don't know about giving 500 out to EVERY ship..

-Digger