.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Closed Thread

Old October 5th, 2012, 01:16 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod Brainstorm-wishlist

Foodstamp, tone it down. Posting flamebait is not going to serve anyone well.

I'm getting REALLY tired of all the sniping involved with people who identify themselves too strongly in either the Shrapnel Camp or the Dom3Mods Camp and then proceed to go all Highlander and yelling "There can only be one!" from that basis.

Like llamabeast so articulately put it earlier in the thread, there was a necessity for the Dom3Mods forum so it was formed, but its existence does not mean that there must be automatic hostility between the two communities.

The forum rules over there are not the same as the rules over here, so trying to measure them with the same yardstick in every respect is pointless. If one must compare, then it's better to compare based on threads that focus on similar content (i.e. comparing mod threads or map threads or whatnot).

It is also patently obvious that some people who have migrated to Dom3Mods and use it as their primary community are dissatisfied with some things here and some others prefer the community over here at Shrapnel. If you happen to disagree with someone's preference of community, it's best to abide by the following maxim:

"If they absolutely positively wish to be wrong, let them. That is their privilege."

AND leave it at that. Don't drag the Shrapnel vs. Dom3Mods up every single time the two communities are mentioned in a thread. Note that I personally DO NOT consider anyone's preference of either Shrapnel or Dom3Mods to be wrong.

Now, let's take a look at this thread:

The opening post comes across as naive and sort of like fishing for ideas for lack of one's own, which explains a lot of the responses that the first page garnered, including all the snark and sarcasm. Whether it was intended that way or not is immaterial, that is how it looks on a first reading.

The later posts then include a lot of things that stem from people talking past each other and making statements that contain too many unmentioned assumptions. These then lead to misunderstandings and somewhat flared tempers because somebody interpreted something differently than the poster intended. Possibly due to a very fine distinction that is not necessarily immediately apparent without further explanation.

And soon after that the flamebaiting starts, somewhat on both sides.

Just put a *bleeping* stop to it. I don't give a damn about who started what, the only certain thing is that if it doesn't stop, this thread will. And any future threads with similar sniping contests are also going to share the same fate.
Old October 5th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Basically, this is what happens: They come here and make ****ty remarks and then they go brag about it on their forum. I don't see people who primarily post here doing the same to them at all. It's a one way street. Heaven forbid someone who frequents this forum takes a stand against it, that just won't do.
Old October 5th, 2012, 02:27 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

The opening post and several of the other posts by Theunderlord are basically nothing more than "Post some cool ideas for me and I might do something with them".

Little content and formulated in a manner that is very annoying, because it's basically asking for things to be given to him ready made. Like I said, that's how they come across.

To be brutally honest, it's practically asking for mockery. After giving this thread another read, it's amazing just how productive the discussion was for the first 20 or so posts.

After that, some people got fed up with Theunderlord's attitude/posting style and started taking the piss. I'm trying really hard to see it as somehow inherently bad. And I'm failing spectacularly, given the absolutely content-free nature of said posts.

And soon after that it degenerates to a different sort of pissing contest between you and the Dom3Mods crowd, with a few other useful, unrelated posts in between.

Yes, I went and took a look at the thread over at Dom3Mods, namely this one. Are they laughing at this thread over there? Yes. And? It doesn't really matter.

If someone wants to learn modding, that's all fine and well. There are good places to start, such as the modding manual and this forum. The forum at Dom3Mods is also a good place to find expert advice. However, the correct way to go about it is to ask specific questions about the kind of things you can do or put forth an idea and ask for input on the best ways to go about realizing it. Namely, demonstrating that you're actually putting in some real effort instead of just hot air.

NOT the way the opening post in this thread began. Were I a more suspicious sort of fellow, I might actually take the opening post itself as being troll bait due to its general character.

However, continuing a sniping duel between the Shrapnel adherents and the Dom3Mods adherents is still not going to improve this thread any.

I want the flamebaiting to stop and I want it to stop from both sides in this thread. I'm also not going to entertain any arguments as to why it should continue or what justifications if any there are. If it continues, this thread dies without any further warning.
Old October 5th, 2012, 02:37 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Foodstamp what? huh? the first topic you link to was about decourcy being a total *** at dom3mods, and then flaming dom3mods from shrapnel. Basically, he was trolling dom3mods, and then complaining at shrapnel about all the trolls in dom3mods. He deserved what he got. (see my vomiting in the comparison.) Perhaps I went a bit to far.

The others are just lighthearted slowchatting. Basically IRC on a bad day. And the subjects are mostly sniping others users from dom3mods. (note Pyg is not really banned, it is a joke nickname). And it was referencing the hilarious penetration threads. Those where funny, you got to admit that.

If you do not like to read threads making fun of topics here, I suggest you do not read dom3mods. At least not the cesspit part. (funny thing, the topic there, about this topic here has already activated somebody enough to create a new mod . Do not know if he is going to finish it. And from what I heard about it the subject matter was rather juvenile, but still ).

One minor thing. People do apologize every once in a while on dom3mods. People call others out on their aggressive behaviour, and eventually most people end up in agreement. Like the recent calahan/maer/frosted/danayel debacle. So it isn't the big den of *&**olæ that people say it is.

I am happy that Edi is back moderating.

Last thing, part of me thinks theunderlord is trolling. He never reacts to anybody, hardly posts more than one line. Has silly ideas, and has not shown any proof that he is actually working on something.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old October 5th, 2012, 02:41 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

I see both forums as ONE community, with split interfaces only to circumvent a random technicality. From my perspective there is no "they" that are "coming here" to post, if you are either here or there you are a part of the community at large. The IRC channel is just another interface of the same community. They may have some minor differences but only because one is moderated by a disconnected entity, and as a consequence of that a bit more inflammatory.

In this case I recommend Foodstamp to "take his stand" at dom3mods instead, since he could speak his mind freely without being subject to repression there, it would be great fun to discuss this matter with you without this ****ing gagball in my mouth.
Old October 5th, 2012, 03:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

elmokki is on a distinguished road

I would like to state that I find including me on your flaming for pointing that the threads that were linked were irrelevant is completely out of place. Yes, I do post more on the other forums. But seriously, check my post history. I don't think I have posted anything or nearly anything that insults any other user here on this board. The only organization I've insulted in Shrapnel itself.

I would like to think that posting on the other forum does not make anyone evil.
Old October 5th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Major General

Hey, this attempt at reconciliation sounds like a fantastic idea. How about we start by you guys not posting insulting posts on this forum and we will do the same on your forum.

Well look at that, we've already lived up to our end of the reconciliation since the day you opened your forum. Looks like we're halfway there.

EDIT: I just now read through this entire thread. When I originally started posting in it, it was in response to Radio Whatever's reply. I didn't realize every single one of you dip****s were in here taking jabs at Gan and the OP. Now I realize why Elmokki got so defensive and thought I was directing my comments at him.

Last edited by Foodstamp; October 5th, 2012 at 03:36 PM..
Old October 5th, 2012, 03:47 PM

Colonel

How about you stop claiming this forum as yours, while it is shrapnel's, or even Illwinter's. Certainly not yours.

Stop assuming Radio_star is actually an active member of dom3mods. Or part of some secret cabal of dom3modders that come here just to annoy you.

Stop making all these assumptions. Nobody is out to get you. Or this forum. (Hell, if I wanted it dead, I should just stop posting here).

Stop playing the white knight. It isn't a role that suits you.

Edit2: like I said. This topic. Close it.
Old October 5th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Major General

And you are too thin skinned for the e-bully role. So how about you leave the members of Shrapnel's forums alone if you guys are going to cry and cave as soon as someone stands up to you?
Old October 5th, 2012, 04:12 PM

Colonel

I'm not crying, nor acting hurt. I have mostly been supportive in this thread. I even resisted urges to create flaming posts.

Sure I'll admit right here and now I sometimes troll. But at least I have been a positive influence on the dom3mods community the last few months. Nobody even knows who you are foodstamp. You only come out of the woodwork when there is trouble. The last time I saw you was when Calahan was banned.

Edit: having this whole us vs them attitude is only going to make stuff worse. But I just assume you are trolling right now. Perhaps even wanting a ban. So you can go out in a bang.
Closed Thread