View Poll Results: Did we invent god, or did he invent us
We Invented Him 21 53.85%
He Invented Us 18 46.15%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 22nd, 2004, 01:40 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Did God Invent Us, Or Did We Invent Him

Please understand that I mean no offense. I am just interested in seeing which train of thought will prevail.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 03:03 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Did God Invent Us, Or Did We Invent Him

It all depends on your point of view. Some people believe in a god, other's believe humanity arose out of a gelatinous goo of organic molecules that just happened to arise into...us. Personally, I think that we were created, but that God can be one evil, sadistic, cruel SOB (note that this is just my opinion, and not meant to offend anyone). I mean, what are the odds that humanity could arise out of simple chance?? I don't know, but the odds must be vastly against life arising spontaneously. And even if it did, where did the universe come from? It all points to the existance of a "higher being" of some sort or another.

Dont' get me wrong, I'm not a religious person. In fact, the opposite. But who really knows whether "god" is real or not. I've never seen him, and I don't know anyone who has. But does he exist? Maybe.

It's simply tough to believe that if there was a god who cared enough to actually create humanity, that he'd be willing to let all the sh%t happen that happens.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old November 22nd, 2004, 03:29 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road

A long time ago, when I was a kid, I believed in God because I just automatically believed what people told me. Then when I was a bit older I started to realize that it seemed there wasn't really any convincing evidence to support it, so I stopped believing. Today, I'm still not convinced that there is a God. So it's a maybe.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:10 AM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

Here's My Humble Opinion..

The Idea and philosophy behind there being a God is a good one. It's the man-made 'Conditional Modifiers' That form the different religions which divides and spoils the concept.

I hear what you're saying,.. "What?"

Simply, I believe in God and the 'One' true message common to all religions.. Peace, Love and Kindness. It's not rocket science, broken down to the simplest terms it's basically "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Oh, and the "Tho shall not kill" thing is simplistic too, I mean, there is one certainty in life, we will all die. So what is the point of wasting time and energy on something that is inevitable.

There are two things and two things only that prevent humanity from becomming the sanctuary (aka: Eden) that we all wish it was. These two things are 'Religion' (not God, but the man-made rules on how to worship him) and 'Boarders'. Until we can unify these two things One God, One race, we are doomed to live in strife.

Nuf said, Cheers!
Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:07 AM

Major

Instar is on a distinguished road

clockmaker god if anything
(deist its called I believe)
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:15 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Will is on a distinguished road

Pretty much the same thing as Kamog. I believed as a kid, just because that's what all the adults told me to believe. Then I realized there wasn't really anything that was supporting the belief other than the Bible (and that's rather dubious, circular support at that) and "intuitions". And for me, when I examined my intuitions, I came across the puzzling question "If God created us, who created God?". The only answer I've really ever seen for this boils down to "God was always here". But then, it seems to me, the entire objection that theists have to a more scientific worldview (eg. Big Bang, self-organizing chemical reactions which we like to call "life" , etc.) -- mainly that the question of where everything came from stops before Big Bang -- still holds with the theist worldview. In other words, "What was there before the Big Bang?" is the direct analogue to "What created God?". So, it seems to me, anyone who is attempting to be rational and accepting scientific theories of origins, and then puts forth the answer of "God" as what came before the Big Bang, is really just adding a layer and replacing one unanswerable with another unanswerable.

And really, whenever you speculate about the past that far back in time, it really is nothing more than idle speculation with very no real direct evidence, and only some indirect and theoretical evidence supporting it. IIRC, the only evidence that science currently has for the Big Bang is the "static" of background radiation that fits the theoretical models given. It's already been established time and again that there is no way to prove either position, it just depends on the personality of each individual.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

If we invented God, then who invented us?
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:28 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Will is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Atrocities said:
If we invented God, then who invented us?
In my view, the more pertinent question is why do we think humans were "invented"?
Old November 24th, 2004, 08:41 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

My parents brought me up with the option to choose what religion I wanted or if I wanted none at all. I chose none at all, religion just didn't make sense to me.
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Klvino [ORB] said:
My parents brought me up with the option to choose what religion I wanted or if I wanted none at all. I chose none at all, religion just didn't make sense to me.
I totally agree with what you said (although it might not be what you meant). Personally Im a very religious person but I find that religion gets in the way of being religious.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)