World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:17 PM

Corporal

Hok is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pondering

Quote:
Originally posted by gr33nGIANT:
Is there NO kind of comming with another ship/unit/thing at all? Not even text com?!!

I see theres no shortcut in the setup either for such a command, meaning the only real type of 'human' interaction you get is with a space station. Isn't this kind of crappy? I'm just worried that this game essentially a skybox with a bunch of non-interactive polygons flying around which you can blow up.
No, unfortunately ther's not even a crappy text parser to have the ships u encounter respond to even the simplest questions...

It would have been nice if they made a text parsing interface in the style of old Ultima-like games

Anyway the game is worth buying if u like Elite type games, the downside is that in the original Campaign trading is important only at the beginning, after a while you earn much more money by selling enemy ships' wrecks!

[ July 02, 2004, 15:23: Message edited by: Hok ]
Old July 2nd, 2004, 05:37 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

When you're modding, the hardpoints must be created for each ship you make; the game doesn't do it for you.

MM seems to have abandoned SF, so what you see in patch 1.15 is what you get. There were plans to add cloaking, more detailed communication, etc, but it was never done.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old July 3rd, 2004, 01:17 AM

Private

gr33nGIANT is on a distinguished road
Default Pondering

I have a few questions before I buy this game:

1: Will there ever be mp support? The idea of two custom modded ships is very exciting and hasn't been done since the days of 'Battlecruiser 3005'

2: With regards to 'hard points' i.e where you place goodies on your ship (ive seen screenies and sort of understand how this works) how does this work in conjunction with your modded ship? Are the hardpoints automatically assigned when you start the game up for the first time with your new ship or?

3: You know I've waited so long for this kind of game that even without mp I will definetely get it. My only real rant is (and I mention it because I read in another thread that this feature was missing) and that is voice coms. Is there NO kind of comming with another ship/unit/thing at all? Not even text com?!!

I see theres no shortcut in the setup either for such a command, meaning the only real type of 'human' interaction you get is with a space station. Isn't this kind of crappy? I'm just worried that this game essentially a skybox with a bunch of non-interactive polygons flying around which you can blow up.
Old July 4th, 2004, 02:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't be so pessimistic... all of MM's time is currently devoted to SE5. There may well be a new patch for SF once SE5 is out...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old July 11th, 2004, 12:34 AM

Major

Instar is on a distinguished road

Yeah, things have slowed down with SF, Aaron is working on SE5 and such. I'm hoping that after SE5, we might get some more stuff, but SE5 is on the far horizon at the moment. Man, I wish that MM could expand into a larger company with more developers, but the resources aren't there. [edit] Speculation on my part, don't take anything I say as holy writ or whatever, maybe MM will expand soon!

[ July 10, 2004, 23:35: Message edited by: Instar ]
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.