.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > SprueGames > Salvo!

Old June 2nd, 2005, 01:36 PM

Private

Collingwood is on a distinguished road
Default Demo saves being corrupted

First of all great game , I've already spent more time on the demo than on many full games I've paid good money for.

I'm having a problem though:-

Three times now I've saved a battle only to get an error when I try to reload , the error box says :-

Director player error
Property not found
#fleet_mode_trigger
Script error continue?

If I click no Salvo! exits, if yes I just get a series of similar errors with #auto_move as the third line.
It isnt just a single file being corrupted as last time I saved under three different file names using special save.
This seems to happen towards the end of the battle (grrr!) so maybe its something to do with number of turns.

Anybody seen anything similar ?

p.s. was a pre plotted , simultaneous move system ever considered or would that be too cumbersome for fleet actions?
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

Andrew Lonon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Demo saves being corrupted

Collingwood:

Thanks for your excellent error reporting! That is exactly what I should need to find and fix that problem. I will have an update available on Shrapnel’s site or at SprueGames this weekend that will allow you to proceed with the demo. (The update will just be the core excitable for Mac or PC ~ 30 – 40 MB)

Pre-Plotted Simultaneous Movement
Yes – it was considered, but as far as the implementation got was the automatic movement option that moves all the ships at the same time. On one hand, I believe that it would get very difficult to plan each ship’s movement when you have to keep track of where your ships will be, as well as where they are/were. (Moving a ship into the same space that another is moving out of and what not...) The other hand is that it would be a definite improvement to have a representation of what each ship wants to do, sort of a “Im already planning on going here” marker. Then you would not need to move that ship if it was already doing the right thing. Suffice it to say – I’m thinking about this for future developments.

PS – I am sorry for the trouble you have been having. Unquestionably bad form on my part. What. What.

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty
Old June 5th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Private

Collingwood is on a distinguished road

Andrew

Glad you found it useful .

Any chance you can post a link when it's up , I just checked both sites with no luck ?

I can see what you mean with simultaneous movement , would be difficult judging if the other chap is going to be clear of the area by the time you arrive . Then again I imagine that could be damn tricky in real life too , especially with half your rigging gone and blood running from the scuppers , don't cha know ?

p.s. Not bad form , bad luck . Stuff happens
Old June 5th, 2005, 09:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

Collingwood:

The powers that be at Shrapnel prefer (understandably enough) to not patch the demos, so I’ll need to build a whole new demo with the new code. The various changes add up, so Im not going to create the ‘updated demo’ till the game goes gold.

However it is crucial that I know if I have fixed your situation. So- I sent an email to you on these same boards with more information on how to proceed from this point. Check that out, and let me know if it helps. The fall back from there will be for you to send one of your saved battles to me.

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:19 PM

Private

lh is on a distinguished road

I have Salvo! v1.01 demo and I can not find the saved game. I "saved special" Tutorial 3 and can not find where to reload the saved game? I am using a Mac G4/1.25 Ghz.
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

Lh:

The OS sets the initial saved location for “save special” but after you pick a new directly, Salvo should be able to remember that. The initial default is the ‘documents’ folder in the user’s section of the computer. I don’t have my Mac handy, or I could give you the ‘path’ but for a PC this would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\carmine\My Documents

I will look up the default location on a MAC when I get into the office tomorrow and post that path as a follow-up to this note.

Andrew - SprueGames