.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 23rd, 2005, 07:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road
Default Stealthy Inquisitors?

I was going to begin my 3rd Dom2 game last night. I thought Marignon sounded really cool, with their Inquisitors. However, I found out that none of them have stealthy! What is the point of having double preaching effect in enemy domain when you can't even get into the enemy's territory? It seems those Inquisitors are merely a defensive precaution. And, fairly expensive for such a defensive role. Are there any ways to make units stealthy? Are there items or spells that will do it?

Thanks,

=$= Big J Money =$=
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:05 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stealthy Inquisitors?

Quote:
BigJMoney said:
I was going to begin my 3rd Dom2 game last night. I thought Marignon sounded really cool, with their Inquisitors. However, I found out that none of them have stealthy! What is the point of having double preaching effect in enemy domain when you can't even get into the enemy's territory? It seems those Inquisitors are merely a defensive precaution. And, fairly expensive for such a defensive role. Are there any ways to make units stealthy? Are there items or spells that will do it?

Thanks,

=$= Big J Money =$=
There is no way to make them stealthy. However, inquisitors are still plenty useful for quickly taking down dominion in newly conqured lands. Not to mention thier other fuctions like boosting morale, leading armies, even research if they have no other important jobs to be done.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

Two things I have noted here, and one final question:

#1) I'm suprised there is NO effect, either spell or magic item that can make a commander stealthy! Has anyone requested this for Dom3? It seems like a no-brainer to me; at least for magic items, anyway. If it were a spell, I'd say high level air magic/alteration.

#2) I've recently discovered that Ceremonial Faith would be helpful for preaching in enemy territory once your candle there is finally lit (friar).

This leads me to a question, however. Restless worshippers is said in a Dominion PDF file to increase Dominion spread effects in enemy territory by 25%. Does this inculde the preaching % of a stealthy priest? I like the idea of the stealthy priest, and I'm trying to figure out ways to buff it. Ceremonial Faith DOESN'T because it only functions in friendly territory. What about an enemy temple? Does the stealthy priest get the +1 level benefit from that?

I've decided to take up Vanheim. I really, REALLY like the way they look.

=$=
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

Scott Hebert is on a distinguished road

Inquisitors are quite useful in removing enemy dominion from your territories, whether newly-gained or not. When dealing with certain enemies (Ermor comes to mind), this is not an inconsequential ability.

I find inquisitors most useful when you're besieging an enemy capital/place where his god is. I have quite a few times removed all of his dominion before breaking through, which makes the resulting battle much easier.

If you're looking for 'dominion switchers', my suggestions are as follows:

1) Seraphine (Prophet or not) - Flying, Stealthy lvl3 Priests, for a very cheap price. There's very little not to like about these ladies. As a Prophet, she generates Dominion on her own, which just increases the gain.

2) Skeptic (Prophet) - A Prophet Skeptic for GE Arco absolutely kills dominion elsewhere. Generally, not even an opponent's god (by him/herself) can compete with a preaching Prophet Skeptic.
Old September 24th, 2005, 06:43 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

In case you didn't know it, Seraphine is Caelum priestess.

A little something that might be interesting: Van commander leading a group of Vanir (=Vans) and Valkyries, equipped with a Flying Carpet. You can sneak, sail and fly! That is some crazy sneak attack potential.

I just realized something that might make Return of Raptors theme of Caelum quite a bit more powerful: stealth! Stealthy fliers, just imagine the power! I'll have to check what units are unique to them, but I might be putting together a little mod...
Old September 24th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

Scott Hebert is on a distinguished road

Endoperez: Good luck with that. IIRC, the only unique units (or commanders) that RoR Caelum gets are the Raven Guard (not worth it), their 'balanced' Seraph, the Harab Seraph, and Harab Elder. You could give them all stealth and IMO not change much. (It would be nice if you could have stealthy Death mages summon up stuff to attack an enemy province they're in.)
Old September 24th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

yea, that would be fun but kinda unfair ( tartarians/wight legions anyone? ) but back on topic stealthy inquisitorswouyld be kinda unfair just lauch about 4 - 5 of them into enemys provinces and then laugh or worse you could use them vrs ermor ( undead themes )
Old September 24th, 2005, 08:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Stealthy ANYTHING

I don't know as much about this game as you guys do, but I just think it would be nice if you could make an artifact that would grant stealth to the user. Maybe a ring of illusion and a camouflage cape. The camouflage cape would be a const. level 4 (or6) nature item that gives no armor but grants stealth. The ring of illusion would be a const. level 8 wind item that grants stealth and the effect the Vans have (I don't remember its name). I ring of invisibility would be cooler, but there is no invisible battlefield effect I know of.

A player would have to really try hard to give more than a few inquisitors these things, since wind/nature magic and construction are not usually Marignon's strengths. Heck, it seemed to me that Marignon has a hard time with magic research at all.

Can stealth granting items be modded into the game?

=$=
Old September 24th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stealthy ANYTHING

Quote:
BigJMoney said:

Can stealth granting items be modded into the game?

No.