Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Mod LA Oceania - seas of blood - Page 2 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 30th, 2011, 01:53 PM

Sergeant

PriestyMan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LA Oceania - seas of blood

[quote=Squirrelloid;774467]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasooli View Post
Personally I don't see any big thematic problem with UW blood sacrifice. It's thematically different from what the designers originally intended, but that's not necessarily bad.

I object more to casting blood spells underwater than bloodhunting underwater.

You may notice none of the current blood spells are useable underwater, and bloodslaves become gems instead of units when in an underwater battle and can't be accessed for casting.
I dont get why this doesnt work. Just imagine if you will, a blood mage, floating in the deep ocean, over an altar. He sacrifices the mermaid, and is suddenly literally swimming in blood, the magical energy of the blood is surrounding him. i feel like that's almost *more* effective cause he is swimming in blood, not just standing over it.
Old March 30th, 2011, 03:55 PM

Private

Treant Hugger is on a distinguished road

[quote=PriestyMan;774494]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasooli View Post
Personally I don't see any big thematic problem with UW blood sacrifice. It's thematically different from what the designers originally intended, but that's not necessarily bad.

I object more to casting blood spells underwater than bloodhunting underwater.

You may notice none of the current blood spells are useable underwater, and bloodslaves become gems instead of units when in an underwater battle and can't be accessed for casting.
I dont get why this doesnt work. Just imagine if you will, a blood mage, floating in the deep ocean, over an altar. He sacrifices the mermaid, and is suddenly literally swimming in blood, the magical energy of the blood is surrounding him. i feel like that's almost *more* effective cause he is swimming in blood, not just standing over it.

Thanks Priestly, that's exactly the idea behind the national pretender and the level 7 summon - swirling pools of sacrificial blood.

You can't use blood magic in UW battles, but by the time you've got your blood economy going you'll probably have a fairly strong hold on the oceans anyway.

Your point earlier about too strong early and too weak on land is fair though. I'm thinking about adding some more high-level national spells. Probably a farsummon and a stygian paths equivalent. I also agree with squirreloid about differentiating some more from MA.
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:03 PM

Sergeant

Colonial is on a distinguished road

mergirl this mergirl that: they are merMAIDS guys, thus why mermen is actually a bastardised form to begin with. Terrible.
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:28 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Would you prefer Merbutlers?
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Would you prefer Merbutlers?
I believe that would be mermanservants...

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Major General

I don't like Pearl Guardian/Pearl Lord - sounds too pure. Maybe Abyssal would be a better adjective?

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:01 PM
Major General

Note: I'm running this with CBM 1.83. If this is causing problems then you should look into mod compatibility with CBM at a minimum.

Ok, some balance feedback:
Capital Sites:
50gpt isn't a good idea. I don't care if its based on the pearl sites elsewhere, it just isn't a good idea. Too abuseable with order + other cash related scales.
Similarly, 4s isn't a good idea when there are no astral mages in the nation. Similar problems already plague LA Man. Getting gem income your national mages cannot use is bad balance.

Commanders:
Demonic General: W1D1 for 45g? Woh. Ignore everything else, that's too much magic for its price.
Pearl Lord: E2 sacred thug commander for 65g? OMGWTFBBQ. No, seriously, its an even better researcher than the demonic general (less upkeep for being sacred) *and* its a thug. For a bargain basement price of 65g? Woh.
--Also, turns into a golden Naga on land. This can't be right. .dm has #landshape 2812. Should probably be 2612.

Units:
Starting army is too powerful. Took on a greater number of amber-clan tritons by itself and won. (No additional recruits at all).

zOMG Pearl Guardians. Ok, the encumbrance is obscene, but an E9N4 bless on these guys just eats stuff. I've been expanding with 5 of them + priest - meaning you can pump out an expansion party *every turn*. And you'll have 2 expansion parties on turn 2 (initial army + recruit 5-6 and a leader to send with your scout prophet).

So, you take P3, because you do. And O3.

Play:
I'm running a W4E9N4 imprisoned Wave Lord (i think - the W1E1 base one) with Dom 6, O3P3C3Mf2. I've got 5 castles in the middle of year 2 (~turn 18) with labs and temples. I'm just pumping out pearl lords as researchers at the moment while continuing to make Pearl Guardians asap to invade the land.

Now, obviously the AI can't deal, but its clear the early game is too good.

I can't even be bothered to do anything with blood magic. The mages are too expensive for too little payout, and they're capital only so its a pain to actually do any bloodhunting.

I also can't be bothered to really look at most of the units because Pearl Guardians are just so good. There's no reason to use anything else. And the aquatic only units are inherently useless, because they're aquatic only.

Last edited by Squirrelloid; March 31st, 2011 at 03:14 PM..
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:07 PM

Sergeant

PriestyMan is on a distinguished road

ok, talked with squirrell, he had mod problems, and the stuff about the E2 pearl lords and demonic general stuff was obviously a conflict. so you can disregard that part.

stuff about the troops though is kinda true. i dont think LA ryleh stands a chance against their regular recruits. IMO buff their mages, especailly the blood aspect, and nerf the troops a little
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:18 PM
Major General

so, the landshape on the Pearl Lord is definitely a mod error. Managed to edit my above post.

I'm still getting magic on the commanders even when i disable CBM. I don't know what's going on. No mod is active but this mod. I think your chosen monster #s may be conflicting with existing monsters, fwiw. You might want to check.

Edit: Restarted Dom3, that seems to have cleared the problem. Ug.

Old March 31st, 2011, 04:36 PM

Private

Treant Hugger is on a distinguished road

Check the .dm file, I found the same problem when I ran it with CBM, and switched all the monster numbers to 26xx from 28xx. I may have forgotten to copy this change to the uploaded version.