Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Mods
Notices

Old April 3rd, 2015, 04:24 AM

Sergeant

mkr8683 is on a distinguished road
Disk WinSP:Civil War - 19th Century mod for WinSPWW2

"This mod contains highly altered or additional files that may or will cause interference with the master game files and it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that this mod be installed and played ONLY in a separate copy of the game and NOT run from the master game."

Hi guys -

Here is my US Civil War mod for WinSPWW2 -

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6z...inSPCW_1.0.exe

I've been working on this mod off and on for the past four years. I'm at the point where if I keep under wraps any longer, I'm afraid no one else will get to tinker with it.

Included in the mod are eight complete, playable scenarios, and one unfinished one.

I wanted to do a lot more with it before posting it here, but with a family, full-time career, and starting school again, I don't have too awful much time for it.

With that being said, enjoy what's there. I've completely started over on this thing three times - no, really - but it's been worth it. I've had a helluva lot of fun playing it. It's not perfect, and not even close to imitating 19th century combat, but it's a blast.

The mod uses the years 1931-1935 (1861-1865). I recommend going to the game options menu and changing the default pairing to US vs Germany. I'm using USA for the Confederate Army and Navy, and Germany for the US Army and Navy. There's a readme of sorts included. It's not complete, by any means. The land combat side is pretty much nailed down, and I was still experimenting with the naval side of things. I'll admit, though, naval combat in this mod is pretty tedious.. as it would be in any SP incarnation.

There are a few loose ends, you'll notice, so just pass them along to me. I'll continue to add scenarios and maybe a campaign or two. Just remember that graphics and sounds are my forté.. I am NOT a good scenario designer, but I did the best I could with my limited understanding of this game. I've got thick skin, so please give me some constructive criticism. I'm already expecting some knocks on the head for historical errors in my scenarios!

Big thanks to Don for getting me lined out on the PIC files!

Hope you enjoy, guys.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1437
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	13554   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	1186
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	13555  

Last edited by mkr8683; April 3rd, 2015 at 05:40 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mkr8683 For This Useful Post:
Old April 4th, 2015, 02:22 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WinSP:Civil War - 19th Century mod for WinSPWW2

Cool, TY! Very interested in how the naval stuff works

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old April 6th, 2015, 03:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

Warhero is on a distinguished road

Thanks! It's nice to see how much this will be different than SPWAW version...

Warhero
Old April 7th, 2015, 03:02 PM

Sergeant

Twenty-six downloads so far, and no critiques. Tsk, tsk
Old April 28th, 2015, 11:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

Warhero is on a distinguished road

Mkr, very nice job (especially icons & oobs)! Keep up good work!

Warhero
The Following User Says Thank You to Warhero For This Useful Post:
Old June 9th, 2015, 11:55 AM

Captain

RecruitMonty is on a distinguished road

Dear mkr8683,

I very much enjoyed playing a number of the scenarios in your mod. The shorter scenarios Mc Dowell, Front Royal and First Kernstown were all great fun. Kernstown being a real challenge. Shiloh was a blast too with some really nasty fire-fights in the centre and some surprises - the bombardments by the Federal artillery directed against my artillery in the centre, for instance.

Based on what I have seen thus far I'd say it is a great mod. Well executed too. I do however have a few observations.

In the Shiloh scenario I noticed that one of the CS Corps commanders appears as an USAAF aircraft instead of as the appropriate mounted troop. The same can be said of the scenario Cross Keys where Jackson's HQ is depicted as a Jap bomber.

Some sounds also were missing for cavalry units - movement. The Corps commander mounts also play the sound for a truck when on the move.

I also noticed that a portion of the Union force in the Shiloh scenario showed up much later - around turn 36/37 of 40 after much of the fighting was already over and that some of the Union artillery were off at the top left-hand corner of the map. Perhaps this is intentional?

The scenario could be shorter as by about turn 29/30 I had routed the Union forces and taken all the objectives.

The Fort Pulaski Scenario is over pretty quick as the Union shore batteries can deliver a well placed shot to the fort, which blows it sky high - armour value is set to 0 for the fort.

These were my observations.

Great work and great fun.
Old June 16th, 2015, 01:20 PM

Sergeant

Monty, thanks for your feedback, buddy. This mod was little more than a bit of sado-masochistic masturbation on my part. A lot of work, a lot of time, put into an unfeasible idea. But I enjoyed it. I didn't take it seriously, hehe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecruitMonty View Post
In the Shiloh scenario I noticed that one of the CS Corps commanders appears as an USAAF aircraft instead of as the appropriate mounted troop. The same can be said of the scenario Cross Keys where Jackson's HQ is depicted as a Jap bomber.
I noticed all this when I tested the download I posted, tried to amend it the best I could but I didn't catch most of it. I honestly got tired of messing with it. The only easy way I could have prevented it was to upload my entire game folder, since I haven't been having these issues. Oh well. Maybe one of these fine days I'll make more scenarios and issue a patch. There hasn't seemed to be much enthusiasm for it, so consequently, I lost much of my own.

Quote:
I also noticed that a portion of the Union force in the Shiloh scenario showed up much later - around turn 36/37 of 40 after much of the fighting was already over and that some of the Union artillery were off at the top left-hand corner of the map. Perhaps this is intentional?
Yes, this is intentional. It represents Lew Wallace's misguided division, and is mainly there for PBEM.

Quote:
The Fort Pulaski Scenario is over pretty quick as the Union shore batteries can deliver a well placed shot to the fort, which blows it sky high - armour value is set to 0 for the fort.
This was an experimental scenario, and I probably shouldn't have included it. I mainly wanted to test mortar and siege artillery values, but meh.

Quote:
These were my observations. Great work and great fun.

Thanks buddy!
Matt
Old November 19th, 2015, 11:39 PM

Private

gabeeg is on a distinguished road

Matt, thanks for releasing this...I for one am interested in your mod!
Old December 20th, 2015, 10:15 PM

Sergeant

Gabeeg, thanks buddy.

I'll be honest, I haven't fired up the mod since before I posted it. There just doesn't seem to be much interest in it, and I expected it, but I just wanted to cross it off my bucket list.

If there's ever any interest generated, I'll probably make more scenarios and campaigns. Till then, it's deader'n hell, as we say in Texas.

Matt
Old March 20th, 2016, 05:42 AM

Corporal

Beeg is on a distinguished road

Excellent job, Matt! I haven't been active on the forum for a while and just came across your mod...awesome!

I'm working on something similar using fantasy elements (Tolkien, etc.) and I can appreciate the amount of work you did. I'm especially impressed with the graphics and icons. I've always had a mental block with SHPed and just cannot make or edit icons. I am sooo envious