Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Mods
Notices

Old April 1st, 2017, 01:21 PM

Corporal

anlubue is on a distinguished road
Default War-related phrases ingame

My son is a lousy dumbass. He stubbornly refuses to read the Game Guide. I think it could be due to the fact, that it is written in english. Of course he does not want to admit that, his mother is to blame. Maybe because most children read a book only when it is shown on TV. In any case, he has often seen me play SPWW2 and has asked me about it lately. I would be so glad if he and I, from time to time, could play together. So i started to translate the Game Guide.

After the first pages, i wished Adolf had won the war and everyone at Shrapnel Games would now speak German since a long time.

I have the greatest difficulties with translating words that describe these warcraft related things of which I have no idea:
Oob -> Order of Battle -> ?

Things that make a world-warring Hermann smile, are going to drive me crazy. I purely don't understand the half of it. And that will cost a miserably large amount of time. Time I do not have, because of my inadequacy i can't do more than maybe 2 pages per day. Although i can write very, very quickly, since i can not really work on it every day (and by my lack of education in the art of war), it would need years.

Maybe someone German has a list of words I can use?

Bombardment screen -> Bombardierungs Fenster <-This does not look really good for me.

My Favorite today: Cross-decking, Naval parlance <- welcome to my world, now you get a clue!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anleitung_a.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	14688   Click image for larger version

Name:	anleitung_b.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	14689  
Old April 1st, 2017, 01:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: War-related phrases ingame

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlubue View Post
My son is a lousy dumbass. He stubbornly refuses to read the Game Guide. I think it could be due to the fact, that it is written in english. Of course he does not want to admit that, his mother is to blame. Maybe because most children read a book only when it is shown on TV. In any case, he has often seen me play SPWW2 and has asked me about it lately. I would be so glad if he and I, from time to time, could play together. So i started to translate the Game Guide.

After the first pages, i wished Adolf had won the war and everyone at Shrapnel Games would now speak German since a long time.

I have the greatest difficulties with translating words that describe these warcraft related things of which I have no idea:
Oob -> Order of Battle -> ?

Things that make a world-warring Hermann smile, are going to drive me crazy. I purely don't understand the half of it. And that will cost a miserably large amount of time. Time I do not have, because of my inadequacy i can't do more than maybe 2 pages per day. Although i can write very, very quickly, since i can not really work on it every day (and by my lack of education in the art of war), it would need years.

Maybe someone German has a list of words I can use?

Bombardment screen -> Bombardierungs Fenster <-This does not look really good for me.

My Favorite today: Cross-decking, Naval parlance <- welcome to my world, now you get a clue!

if I were translating that section I would skip the cross decking remark as it only has off hand relevance..... it means load the passenger units you choose into the barges etc you want them into....I would guess that 90% of english speakers wouldn't understand " cross decking " either so don't feel bad about not understanding

machine translation

Merken Sie, dass Sie Lastkähne und amphibischeTransporte in das Wasser in derEntwicklungsphase eines Angriff mit Amphibienfahrzeugs-Auftrags jetzt entladenkönnen. Dieses erlaubt Ihnen, Ihre Truppen in dasgewünschte Fördermaschinenvorspiel zu bewegen, wenn Sie es vorziehen, dies zu tun

Bombardment screen ->Bombardierungsschirm ( ?? )machine translation

Bestellung des Kampfes = Order of Battle ( again a machine translation YOU tell ME how good it is

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; April 1st, 2017 at 01:53 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old April 1st, 2017, 04:24 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Bestellung des Kampfes = Order of Battle ( again a machine translation YOU tell ME how good it is
I am grinning like a Cheshire cat. It's like the cakes of my mother-in-law. There's everything inside, but than you wished you had never tasted. It also reminds me of my Neighbours Daughter. (She's 12 and wants to look older), therefore she takes Makeup. Now she looks like a Drag-Queen!

Ja Dude, i need a plan how I reach my goal. Coiling and stumbling over words would not be helpful at all. I feel bad. Thus a Frenchman must have felt when he heard the first German howitzers. (Or my father-in-law when his wife calls: "Food is ready!")

I'm not willing to throw in the towel, just have to give afford. Thanks for the Systransoft idea (It was to be seen when i wanted to insert a quote), by now i'm looking at their Website.
Old April 1st, 2017, 04:40 PM

Corporal

zastava128 is on a distinguished road

My German isn't the best, but I'd translate Bombardment screen as Bombardierung Bildschirm.

Order of Battle is literally Schlachtordnung, though I think a better word in this context would be Ausrüstungsnachweisung.
The Following User Says Thank You to zastava128 For This Useful Post:
Old April 1st, 2017, 05:37 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlubue View Post
Quote:
I am grinning like a Cheshire cat. It's like the cakes of my mother-in-law. There's everything inside, but than you wished you had never tasted. It also reminds me of my Neighbours Daughter. (She's 12 and wants to look older), therefore she takes Makeup. Now she looks like a Drag-Queen!

That bad eh ?

I love Machine translations, we had Russians posting years ago using them and after awhile I could understand what the intent was....usually ...but it was a struggle at first

Here's another stab at it

Bestellung des Schlacht

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; April 1st, 2017 at 05:48 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old April 1st, 2017, 05:52 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

AH HA!!! let's see it this is better

Kriegsgliederung

http://www.allworldwars.com/German-E...ictionary.html

if nothing else it may offer entertainment..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old April 1st, 2017, 06:16 PM

Corporal

Schlachtaufstellung, Schlachtformation, Schlachtordnung, Gefechtsformation ...

but it's not the words alone they where only meant as an example. It's cause i am a dammned Hippie and got no cue what i'm talking about by translating war related things.
Old April 1st, 2017, 06:54 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zastava128 View Post
My German isn't the best, but I'd translate Bombardment screen as Bombardierung Bildschirm.

Order of Battle is literally Schlachtordnung, though I think a better word in this context would be Ausrüstungsnachweisung.
Do not worry about a single word. This is not a problem at all. But i appreciate your help, thanks Dude.

Bombardierungs Bildschirm, Feuerleitstelle, Artillerie u. Aufklärungs Unterstützung

They all would fit somehow. My only problem is that there are so many words and i need "support" in naming them "understandable for me". I am not a war professional. Afterwards i only must repeat the exact same word for the same thing. To not confuse the reader with different phrases of the same thing.

In my first attempt i took a passage of the Game Manual and begun to write. One sentence at a time. After i was done, i realized that i used different words for the same things. Normally i like to get synonyms for words. the much, the better. But for this purpose it isn't helpful at all.

In my second attempt, i tried to understand the whole, whole wtf superordinate statement? And came to the conclusion that although i love this game, know how to play, i don't find the right words to inspire someone. Don't know the right words to desribe it to you. maybe this way:

"Gefechtsfeldabriegelung" (to block a combat-field)

Those Phrases let me smell the Powder. That's wat i want, but i don't know much of these words. Probably it is best to first read a book about WW2. Beyond that I can not write what I want. Oh I do not know why I am whining around. It will already be. Perhaps all i have to do is watching a war movie?
Old April 1st, 2017, 07:09 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post

Kriegsgliederung

Bingo!

while i was whining around because of nothing ...the man who should actually lie in the jacuzzi with danish Furies offered me a German-English Dictionary. That's what i needed! Thanks a lot
The Following User Says Thank You to anlubue For This Useful Post:
Old April 1st, 2017, 07:32 PM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post

Kriegsgliederung

1. The link DRG supplied is good to get but it is German to English and can be difficult for you to search since you are going the opposite way. I suggest you 'select all' the web site text and 'paste' it into a word pad document so you can use the 'find' command to locate the English phrase from the manual and find the German.

2. The understanding part is the same as anyone from outside any profession reading the terms and jargon of that work. I can only think that this would be a good project to perform and suggest you translate what you can and post the phrases you are unsure of for this assorted gang to tackle.
The Following User Says Thank You to jp10 For This Useful Post: