This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Mods
Notices

Old February 21st, 2018, 01:15 PM

First Lieutenant

blazejos is on a distinguished road
Disk Bystrochodnyj Tank (BT tanks story)

Here is a research OOB which try to cover all usage of BT tanks from BT-2 to BT-7 and included also rare prototype versions. I prepared a new icons for various version of camo and also new pictures. Icons were based on drawings so I thing is easier now identify between BT-2 / BT-5 & BT-7. Hope this data and pictures will be usefully for new version of game.

My main source of Data was a Magnuski book "Czerwony https://translate.google.pl/translat...-text=&act=url
But of course more precise detail and best photos were taken from Russian site aviarmor
http://www.aviarmor.net/tww2/tanks/ussr/_ussr.htm
Attached Files
File Type: zip BT tanks OOB.zip (709.1 KB, 588 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blazejos For This Useful Post:
Old February 21st, 2018, 02:10 PM

First Lieutenant

Default Re: Bystrochodnyj Tank (BT tanks story)

And the story

BT-1
Christie M1930 tanks which were imported by soviets behind a nose of North American government in cooperation with Mr. Christie as a agricultural tractors. There were without arms and towers. Than during trials were developed for them towers which were also used in Russian copy BT-2.

BT-2
I started with BT-2 tanks we have a new icon with green, winter and soviet summer camo with is a mixture of green-brown (sometimes with use of sand colour) I decide that green-brown is a best for use in desert climate like Far East Outer Mongolia Gobi desert or during Persian Invasion on Middle East. BT-2 was made in 4 different variants of arms according to Magnuski and some photos.

2 cxoaxial DT MGs
2 cxoaxial DT MGs + 1 DT CMG
1 37mm M1930 gun (copy of purchased german)
1 37mm M1930 gun + 1 DT CMG

Why so many of them Magnuski states that during production were not enough guns to equip all tanks and that is why variant with MG was created. They were never modernised and to the end were used in that configurations. They are photos of 1939 invasion of Poland and 1941 Barbarossa with this tanks in MG version.
About this tanks operational usage they were never used as a equipment of tanks corps.
Soviets also according to Magnuski has three different versions of tanks units in their pre-war army.

Cavalry corps organics tanks units (BT-2 + small number of BT-5)
Infantry corps organics tanks units (usually T-26 + small tanks T-37 , T-38)
Tanks Corps (composed on BT-5, BT-7, T-37 , T-38, T-28, T-26, T-35)

So BT-2 were inside a cavalry tanks units and use to support cossacks. Small number of BT-2 with 37mm gun was a reason that for main tank with gun in that units leter were also used BT-5

Also Magnuski mentioned that during great purge Stalin was afraid that some commanders may use their units against him. Was mentioned in book were created tanks units of NKVD they stationed around Moscow and were well equipped full motorized force with infantry on trucks and tanks. Tanks of choice for this forces were BT-2,BT-5&BT-7. That is why BT-2(NKVD)were also there included in formations. Magnuski estimate looking on documents of tanks which were produced and number of tanks officially taken by red army estimated that around 100 BT-2 disappeared which my indicate that were taken by NKVD.

In late thirties some number of BT-2 were rebuild for chemical tanks with KS-24 flame-thrower and engineering with T-38 turent.

They were never exported but small number were captured by Finland they never used them but dissemble towers and used in fortifications on salpa line. BTW soviet has they same strategy of use old&obsolete and broken transmission or engine tanks they simply buried them for us as a bunkers.

Also according to Magnuski there is included change of number of tanks in platoon from 3 to 6 in 1936 that was introduced because production of all thanks allowed that. I supuse that after big losses in 1941 platon were again reduced to three tanks.

Last BT-2 tanks were used until 1944 on Leningrad front + Far East propably like in this OOB in some obsolete tanks platoon.

https://translate.google.pl/translat...ssr%2Fbt-2.htm
Old February 21st, 2018, 02:45 PM

First Lieutenant

BT-4
In fact they were BT-5 which were prepared in hurry for annual revolution parade before first tower for this tank was created. They taken armament and towers from T-26 M1931.

https://translate.google.pl/translat...r%2F&sandbox=1

BT-5 M1933
Were a first version of this tank a new tower icon was painted for this variant. Gun was the same like in M1934 variant but shape of rear of tower were different and also hatch for crew. Looks like they weren't modernised and used during 1941 with this smaller tower.
This photo is also a proof that amongs BT-5 send to Spanish Republican government were also tanks in M1933 variant

BT-5 M1934
Standard variant in my OOB I also prepared as BT-5TU (tank uprawnienia) [command tank] version with a horse shoe antena. This is a commander tank of platoon with smaller number of rounds for gun because radio equipment. Magnuski mentioned that 1/3 of all manufactured BT-5 were in this variant. Their biggest disadvantage were that was obvious which tank is in command what soviet painfully learn during fights with Japanese and Poles in 1939. Such TU tanks were the first target for AT fire. After this campaigns they started disassembly such antennas and mounting less visible wipe type. Is possible that this modernisation were in progress were Germans attack in 1941 so some tanks were still easy disguises as a commander tank.

After big losses of 1941 survived tanks were modernized in up-armoured variant BT-5E and an modernization with BT-7 parts called BT-5M

Tanks were exported to Turkey , Republican Spain and small number to Mongolia which may fit inside red OOB

Germans and Finland also captured them but Germans never used them instead preferred BT-7.

Inside OOB is also a variant with KS-24 flame-thrower and small tanks on mud shield.

https://translate.google.pl/translat...r%2F&sandbox=1
Old February 21st, 2018, 05:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Bystrochodnyj Tank (BT tanks story)

Just an FYI for anyone who may DL this.

Icon0187.shp used by this mod is a SHP file that will be used by us in the next official patch release for regular game units and one reason why I have moved this to the mods forum were it rightfully belongs.

Anyone using this needs to keep it in a separate game.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 22nd, 2018, 07:05 AM

First Lieutenant

Thanks for that info so I ask which shp without turret version may be used to be compatible with new version of the game? I will try modified this mod.
Look also on icon 7638 BT-7 M1937 (German grey) inside file Icon0181.shp I'm not certain that is shp or game code glitch but German grey BT-7 is not showing correctly even if all look OK inside shp file.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 09:06 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Bystrochodnyj Tank (BT tanks story)

There are no modders reserved SHP files for SPWW2 as there is for SPMBT and I'm not going to create any and I am not going to restrict my access to any future additions I may make to the SHP files and I am not going to add 4 SHP files worth of BT tank variations so these ones are mods for anyone to use, but I won't be adding them to the master game. The BT's that are in the files now serve their purpose well enough.

The problem with icon 7638 is a code error that affects both games that will be corrected before the next update is released

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 23rd, 2018, 08:16 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

Blazejos, would you mind posting a zipped up copy of the graphics in BMP format?
Old February 25th, 2018, 09:14 PM

First Lieutenant

Disk Re: Bystrochodnyj Tank (BT tanks story)

There are bmp's which were used to create shp files.
I will add rest of description especially BT-7 in next days.

Some links
BT-2 http://www.o5m6.de/redarmy/bt_2.php
BT-5 http://www.o5m6.de/redarmy/bt_5.php
BT-7 M1935 http://www.o5m6.de/redarmy/bt_7m1935.php
BT-7 M1937 http://www.o5m6.de/redarmy/bt_7m1937.php

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_BT-7.php
Attached Files
File Type: zip BT tanks.zip (377.3 KB, 536 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to blazejos For This Useful Post: