Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sd.Kfz. 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibwl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejos View Post

Austin / Austin-Putilovets

Russian license build British Austin armoured cars. This vehicle is already in polish OOB available between 1930-1931. Both versions English imported Austin I until Austin III and Russian build Austin-Putilovets. All captured from Soviets during war in 1920.
Soviets have 73 of them until 1931 in regular army units, 40 of them English build versions. Like in Poland they remove them in 1931-1933 and relegate to second line units. They were in NKVD internal troops rebuild on new ZIS chasis and participated in fights in 1941.
This info is sometimes repeated in the net, but I haven't found info on their service in 1941 in Russian printed sources so far. However, it's worth to copy them from Polish OOB to Soviet early inventory (one generic Austin with transverse turrets, Austin-Putilov with diagonal turrets and Austin-Kegresse should be enough).

Here's an old page on Austin variants and service: http://derela.republika.pl/austin.htm

Austins in foreign service weren't numerous, but some were used by Japan, reportedly by Manchukuo. They were also used for some time by the British (put on Peerless chassis eventually).
Coincidentally I had been working on a Ehrhardt E-V/4 and a Austin-Putilov today. I'm gradually working my way through all the old oddball AC's.Now I can pass on the Austin-Putilov. I had missed those in the Icon list. Romania has one

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; April 30th, 2018 at 11:28 AM..
Old April 29th, 2018, 07:44 PM

Sergeant

Weasel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I was just " doodling" over morning coffee one day and that's what resulted. I'm slowly building a Vimy Ridge map from Venola Contours so I was in a "WW1" frame of mind.
I already built a Vimy map hex by hex bro, map 291 WW2, also Passchendale too.
Old April 29th, 2018, 10:27 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Ah ! so you did.

Mine is looking a bit more "used"

I've only got as far as placing the location of the villages

Did you build that one by hand or use Venhola?......if totally by hand/eye the contours are impressive. That must have taken a lot of time

As daunting an achievement as taking that ridge was after getting a good look at the terrain I'm glad we didn't have to take it from the eastern side. While doing my initial research on it I found a lovely large copy of the barrage plan but it'sd too large to upload even when zipped and reducing it's size makes it unreadable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vimy_WIP.png
Views:	692
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	15377  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; April 30th, 2018 at 11:43 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old April 30th, 2018, 04:53 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Ah ! so you did.

Mine is looking a bit more "used"

I've only got as far as placing the location of the villages

Did you build that one by hand or use Venhola?......if totally by hand/eye the contours are impressive. That must have taken a lot of time

As daunting an achievement as taking that ridge was after getting a good look at the terrain I'm glad we didn't have to take it from the eastern side. While doing my initial research on it I found a lovely large copy of the barrage plan but it'sd too large to upload even when zipped and reducing it's size makes it unreadable
All my maps are built by hand. I get a topographical map with ridge heights and import it into paint.net, then lay a hex pattern over top that fits into the 160x200 Sp editor, and then lay down the heights hex by hex. That is why Chosin (Chinese attack at Yudam-ni) took me over 3 weeks to build, going hex by hex, but all the hills and terrain are correct to within 50m.

I have never heard of Venhola before, I did a search last night when you mentioned it but it came up with other stuff.

I saw that barrage plan before, the numerous coloured lines and such are very confusing to me. No wonder each unit practiced for a month before the battle learning the system.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weasel For This Useful Post:
Old April 30th, 2018, 06:06 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

It's a sticky thread at the top of both games maps subforms

http://www.venhola.com/maps/

Enter the coordinates then generate a map.......it will be generated as map 999 and when you load it, it will look flat but it's not.....flood fill the entire map with bare earth and the contours will pop

For Vimy enter

Last edited by DRG; April 30th, 2018 at 07:19 PM..
Old April 30th, 2018, 11:55 PM

Sergeant

HOLY F***ING COOL! Man I have been wasting so much time. I just did one for where I live and there you go...SWEET. I do have to admit though it does make Courtenay look awful hilly, but I think each terrain level is 10m.

Kind of feels like cheating after all the work I did going hex by hex but I will use it for the next scenarios I was planning on, Op Epsom.
Old May 1st, 2018, 06:56 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The contour elevation can be adjusted if you think the standard 10 m is too much....or adjust by hand. I tried one once for Villers Bocage that made the L'Oden look like the grand canyon .EDIT**For that 5 was a better setting**, is wrong... to reduce the number of elevations to "flatten" out the map a bit go higher than the normal 10... try 20....5 will exaggerate the contours more.

Yes, for map making The Venhola is Wunder Waffe. A number of changes made last couple of releases were made to use it better.....goto for one was "inspired" by the 999 maps but also because the number of maps and scenarios now has grown to the point we needed a way to get from one place to another quickly.. The spatter feature of the flood fill tool is another.

There are so many ways to find GPS coordinates you can pick an exact center for your map and Google maps lets you find your battle ground then click on "What's Here" and you get the exact coordinated you need to enter into Venhola

It saves HOURS of time. You still need to fill in the details but it's getting the contours right that was always the biggest chore and you can rotate the map if you need to and if you don't need a full 200x160 map it can be trimmed using the extended map editor. We are going to look into ( NO promises ) a way to allow streams to not cut to level -2 next year..it may.... or not be possible to do without causing undesirable knock off effects but the BIG problem is the game expects streams to be -2 for a lot of code

EDIT...... another far simpler way to "reveal" the contours on a freshly generated Vehola is to use the new "Strip map" feature of the extended map editor.....it reveals the contours with one control

Last edited by DRG; May 2nd, 2018 at 03:35 AM..
Old May 1st, 2018, 02:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Exclamation Re: Sd.Kfz. 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejos View Post
I just add something about WWI vehicles still used in 30's.

Snip

The thread topic has strayed a bit but while we are on this subject I just noticed that all those multi turreted AC's were added to a no turret file which means they only fire at what's in front of them. Because they are multi-turreted they should have been set up with "invisible" turrets and I have just change the game code for the ones like that so they now fire more correctly.

Don

Old May 1st, 2018, 05:19 PM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Coincidentally I had been working on a Ehrhardt E-V/4 and a Austin-Putilov today. I'm gradually working my way through all the old oddball AC's.Now I can pass on the Austin-Putilov. I had missed those in the Icon list. Romania has one
I've investigated Romania a bit last year and I'm not sure if Romania had Ehrhardt, which were rather not numerous vehicles at all. I've found a book "Trupele blindate din Armata Romana 1919-1947" in Romanian - early armoured vehicles aren't described in detail, but there's no mention on Ehrhardt at all. Earliest armoured cars were two Peugeot and two Renault in 1916 (there's a mention, that armament was 8mm MG, and there is one photo of Renault AM with MG in 1927). Effectively Renault and Peugeot were the same (photos of French ACs are here: http://www.chars-francais.net/2015/i...sk=view&id=685).
There is also a mention on Austin and Austin Putilov in service.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pibwl For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2018, 08:12 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Respect its surprising whatyou can produce given how few pixels you actualy have to play with