This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 26th, 2009, 08:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A favor...

At this point I would have to ask Shrapnel to throw out most of our suggestions.

Well at least table them. If it speeds things up Id rather see a release with a few fixes and easy expansions, and then later a more involved release. We can pile on requests until the project becomes a "soon to be released in fall of 2020" (and my own suggestions are probably the worst in that area)
Old November 27th, 2009, 05:28 AM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road

The way sensors work now in SE V is pretty much what I want. And on my four years old computer I don't have more than 3-4 seconds at maximum for a system display with several hundreds ships. At least in Kwok's Balance Mod the AI can handle the limited sensor range quite well. I just play at the moment a SE V game where the AI surprised me with a fleet attack, that would not have been a surprise if I could see all of the systems I have at least one ship/unit/colony in it.
The best solution would be to make this an option in the game setup.

And Gandalf, I think the aim of this topic created by Shrapnel was just to get as many ideas as possible. Which of them they use/realize is of course completely their decision. But if they want to sell the game it might need a little bit more than "a few fixes and easy expansions" IMO.
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

That's a good example Q and I see what your talking about. But do you really think that you could hide a sizable fleet within a system without some notice or residual traces of it being there? I think you could probably see them with the Hubble Telescope if it were positioned to view that system. Maybe a small squadren or patrol but not a full battle fleet.

GP, you are right! But Tim asked for ideas and to NOT post them, would be a grave sin against humanity and the whole gaming community!!!
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Definetly post. Im not saying not to.
Just wanted to separate the deeep discussions from what originally felt like quicky "what do we absolutely have to include" suggestions. Splitting it allows everything to go into a "keeper" file for different releases.

The deep changes are cool. I just didnt want it to add years to a release. And Im including my own suggestions in that. I suppose that others would have just said something like "thats never going to happen" (and probably gotten less comment on it)
Old November 27th, 2009, 04:54 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with Gandalf Parker, I think everyone would appreciate half of a finished, polished product than and a half-assed project. New features can be added in after the release date via patches and, naturally, expansion packs.
Old November 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM

First Lieutenant

Bottom line is, FLEXIBILITY.. Kinda like the very old program UMS (Universal Military Simulator). Movement system, combat system, all variables added by user.

"Build it and they will come!" and play...
Old November 30th, 2009, 06:42 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Heh, UMS sounds a bit like HAM (Suicide Junkie's "strategy game engine"), only not quite as abstracted!
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:29 PM

First Lieutenant

It's pretty much what The War Engine (TWE use to be a Shrapnel game, now at Matrix) was based off of. One of the limitations of TWE was the small map, not so in UMS. Unit creation, terrain, even combat modifiers for game used functions. I still have the game, but I don't even know if it will run on XP as I have not had it installed on anything since my Win98SE, P333!
Old December 18th, 2009, 05:12 AM

Corporal

Alikiwi is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: A favor...

Firstly, I'd suggest you check out Se.net and read up of the SE 6 wish-list forum. It covers a fair bit to say the least. I think the majority agree that SE IV makes a better base for a future version, although SE V (I'm told), has a better ability to develop the AI players with more flexiblity.
I played SE III back in 1995, SE IV since 2006. One point that comes to mind, is that SE III was more sensible on planetary production, in that the shipyard WAS a shipyard and was seperate from planet production. SE IV got that wrong.
Any new game needs to allow Modders more flexibility, and if possible (big ask), an open ended list of abilities. Whilst SE IV had a fair list, it was limited too much.
As for fans, eve though SE IV is almost 11 years old, I notice over 700 copies of my Skywalker Mod have been downloaded over the last 12 months, thats dam impressive and a testiment to the basic good foundation of SE IV itself.
A personal point, whilst fantastic graphics are nice, its gameplay that really counts. More scenarios would be good (I'm working on some now), and characters with speech (ala Imerium Galactic II) would be a must these days. I'll come back when I have more ideas...
PS I m so pleased to think you are heading in this direction
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:07 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikiwi View Post
More scenarios would be good (I'm working on some now),
Ahh for a scenario editor...