The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 23rd, 2001, 02:01 PM

Captain

Tampa_Gamer is on a distinguished road
Default AI Text Files Tips & Hints (Modders Please Read!)

As we approach the first year anniversary of the release of SE4, an overwhelming number of modded AI races exist. Each author has taken some or all of the twelve basic text files which control each AI race and added tweaks or wholesale changes to correct and strength that particular race. In an effort to compile and start gathering these suggestions, hints, etc. in one place, I would like this thread to be a working discussion about the current "features" and "impediments" the AI races face and suggestions for possible work-arounds and solutions in the text files that you have come up with. Please post any hints or secrets that you have found. I know some may want to avoid devulging their race's secrets, but this can only make all of the AI races that much stronger if we compare notes. Perhaps, if this thread works, we could eventually add this to the modding FAQ, but for now just start posting!

This thread is NOT intended to be a "suggestions" or "wishlist" thread for programming changes, nor is it intended to talk about new components or "how to" generally modify the files.
Old October 23rd, 2001, 02:02 PM

Captain

Default Re: AI Text Files Tips & Hints (Modders Please Read!)

Here goes - an example of what I am talking about.

ISSUE: The AI does not appear to use Resource Converters or Recyclers.

TIP: Until this is fixed in a patch, ensure the AI does not waste resources building these facilities in the _AI_Construction_Facilities.txt" file and ensure the AI does not waste research points by researching "Resource Manipulation" in the "_AI_Research.txt" file.
Old October 23rd, 2001, 04:26 PM

Colonel

Master Belisarius is on a distinguished road

But Tampa, I think that you should know a few more tips!! Come on old Teacher!

Anyway, here are some of what I can remember now:

- Advanced Storage is a "must have" racial trait.
- If your race have not any special racial trait (like Cristallurgy, Organic, Temporal, etc), the best weapon for the early game is the PPB. The bad thing, is that most of the new races use this weapon... then, the variety is gone!
- Include Ship Construction facilities into all the big planets.
- Include Mineral, Organic and Radioactive Storage facilites. IF not, at some momment the AI will stop to build anything, although could have gigantic resources!!!!
- Try to optimize the AI research in the early game, using cheap tech as filler (smaller weapons for example).
- Research Mines in the early game.
- Don't forget to research Explosive Warheads II before the mines!!! Hey, this is a tip for some humans too!!! (because the scattered armor will be no more a problem with Explosive Warheads II).
- If the AI go for DUC as main weapon in the early game, then, also need to get PDC fast.
- The Sats are not a great defensive weapon... but very useful in the early game.
- If the AI's attack ships have not cloak capabilities, then, include at least one mine-sweeper component.
- Into the attack ship designs, include some way of extra supply (Supply Sotrage or Solar Supply Generation). The comon way to see the AI doing stupid things in the early game,
is when their fleets became out of fuel.
- Design alternate Colony ships for the AI (for example check the Vikings, Orks, Aquilaeian, designs).
- The Ionic Disperser is a great weapon for the AI.
- Include Ionic Disperser and Wormhole Beams into the weak ships like Mine-Layers, Mine-Sweepers, etc. Remember that the Ionic Dispereser should be the Main weapon!
- Try to include more than one type of attack ship.
- Design more than one type of Weapon Platform. Also, the Ionic Disperser and Wormhole Beams is a great defensive combo!!
- The Troop Transports are working, and then, should be used (but not abuse of them, because they only join to fleets NEAR the same sytems where they're placed, and after get some number of troops).
- For the new Versions of the Aquilaeian and Pyrochette, I have used the Boarding Ship type, as resupply/repair ship. But the Boarding Ship type could be used for anything that you want! (Don't abuse of them, because they will joint to a fleet, only if exist a fleet NEAR the system).
- Don't forget to test the AI in games with all the technology available from the turn 0. I saw several AI's with good ships designs in games with low tech, but with pathetic designs for the end-game or hig-tech games.
- TRY TO BE CREATIVE!! An example of a very creative AI, is the AI that Atraikius did for the Orks!!!
- DON'T BE affraid to dig into the scripts of the best AI's: because doesn't exist any document and the only way to learn is doing trial and error, and looking what did the people before you... BUT try to learn and apply it without do a copycat.
- TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, and TEST the AI. Run some turns and check the ship designs, check the Facility constructions into the planets, check if the AI is selecting the planet's role in the right way, test the number of ships, check the number of mines, check, check, check!

- And the more important: if I helped you to improve your AI, please include me into the credits!!!!!!!!!

- If you have used different weapons for different ship sizes, then, you should create 2 DN designs with different weapons. If not, at some moment, the AI will start to use OLD designes instead the DN.

[ March 20, 2003, 15:22: Message edited by: Master Belisarius ]
Old October 23rd, 2001, 05:27 PM

Corporal

Repo Man is on a distinguished road

I have been concentrating on the political aspects of the AI; which means I'm focusing on the anger, politics and speech files.

Here is one sample of how I am trying to mod the AI politics to fit.

The race in question has concentrated on trading, it has the trading cullture checked and a bonus to trading.

I've increased the chances of the AI accepting treaties. Under the default AI, there is a penalty for an AI to accept treaties from weaker empires. I made this a bonus. I also lowered the requirements for the AI to send a "make peace with X" type message.

Another one I'm playing with is the barbarian horde. This race does not have a natural decease in anger each turn, instead there is a small increase. Most other natural increases are minimized or eliminated, except for combat.

The main way for this race to decrease in anger is for it to be attacked and lose that battle. Other combat results could have smaller impacts on anger.

My AI experiments are still in the very early stages, so please excuse the lack of specific numbers. More details are in the works.
Old October 23rd, 2001, 06:46 PM

Captain

Alpha Kodiak is on a distinguished road

The first thing that comes to mind is to make sure that in every AI state the vehicle construction file is calling for plenty of colonizers. If the AI stops expanding, it will die.

The second thing is to make sure that there is a reasonable research plan and construction queue set for the "Not Connected" state. Many of the stock AIs are basically worthless in a game with no warp points because they don't research or build anything useful while waiting to research warp point opening tech.

Ursoids of the Galaxy, unite!
Old October 24th, 2001, 02:12 AM

Captain

Ok Master B. I am home now and have access to my notes - here you go (there may be some duplication b/c of cut/paste from my notes - I will try and delete most).

OVERALL
(1) Watch for blanks lines and spaces in your text files (if you are using Wordperfect or Word you can display blanks and tabs in the settings menu) - this is the single most cause of errors.
(2) Watch for spelling errors - this is the second most cause of errors.
(3) Do not copy other races out right and just slap a new name on them - it makes it very boring.
(4) Do borrow good ideas to make your race that much stronger and give credit where credit is due.

AI_FLEETS.TXT
(1) The restrictions on the # of fleets is not strictly followed, but most of the AI authors try to keep this to
between 2-6.
(2) Consider increasing % to use in fleets to > 90%.
(3) Consider increasing the “Fleets Don’t Use for Num Turns to > 20.

AI_GENERAL.TXT
(1) When defining abilities of less than 100 in order to increase another above 100, make sure you list them in that order (similar to how you would do it if you were doing it at the start of the game). Otherwise, it may not choose/allow the ability with greater than 100. Also, actually go in and test the combinations to make sure you do not exceed the points for 2000,3000 & 5000 point start games.
(2) Please take the time to flesh out your race. Some people actually read the descriptions during the game when you right click in the races submenu and it adds a lot more depth to the game.
(3) Make sure the design.txt file is spelled properly and included.
(4) Shy away from abilities that will not benefit the AI races as much (increased strength for ground combat) or increased farming capability if it is not needed.

AI_SETTINGS.TXT
(1) Most AI authors have increased the %maintenance line to allow for bigger % of fleets (85-95%).
(2) Increase Max. Research/Intel points to at least 200-300k
(3) Consider modifying line “Get Angry over Allied Colonizable Planets” depending on what type of race you have.
(4) Make sure you put your race in the correct “Personality Group.” This will ensure that even if the player does not specifically select your AI for the game that it joins the pool of races that may randomly added. The computer will only take x% from each personality group for a given game.

AI_STRATEGIES.TXT
(1) Very important to experiment. Most AI authors have their "break formation" lines set to TRUE so that individual ship strategies will be used instead of overall fleet strategy.
(2) Use a high number of "Fighter Launch Group Amount" numbers since low amounts of fighters will stack up in a column and can be easily picked off in column formation by PDCs.
(3) Consider using option for “Type Priority” instead of “Targeting Priority” for certain types of ships and fighters.
(4) These can be further modified when you create your .emp files.

AI_RESEARCH.TXT
(1) Play with your race once from start to finish, recording what your research and how many active projects you had at a time in order not lose any points. Then make sure this file follows that, with modifications based on your experience. With the limitation line now working with the latest patch, this file can really make or break the race that is not properly maximized for efficiency.
(2) Research Mil. Science 1 and then Point Defense Cannons very early.
(3) Try to research armor and then shields as early as possible. Preferably move up to Level 4 shields and at Last level 3 armor to gain maximum efficiency.
(4) Make sure your race researches and builds Stellar Manipulation at an earlier point than the default files. The latest Version of the AI minister for stellar manipulations actually works pretty good.
(5) Consider not researching Large Weapon Platforms since they take up a lot of space and are of limited utility in late game anyway.
(6) Make sure you test your races “Not Connected” research tree - some people actually play this option and they may want your race to do more than sit on its thumbs for 100 turns.

AI_CONSTRUCTION_VEHICLES.TXT
(1) Always make sure you have colonizers and attack ships in every queue as these are essential for the AIs expansion policy. The AI uses attack ships for scouting, so supplies are very important in the early
game.
(2) DON'T over-allocate for vehicles the AI will not use efficiently (troops, sats in late game, wp's, boarding ships, kamikaze ships, pop. transports, recon sats) - use sparingly. DO allocate a gradual build-up of
essential ships (attack/defense) over time. Try to alternate units and ships so that the AI will not get bogged down in its space yards (don't forget units can be built anywhere).
(3) Make sure you test your races “Not Connected” build queue - some people actually play this option and they may want your race to do more than sit on its thumbs for 100 turns.

AI_DESIGNCREATION.TXT
(1) Obviously entire threads have been written on this one!! You must experiment and check your race constantly and at all tech levels to make sure a given design makes sense at each level of tech and stage
of the game.
(2) Use of the "Must Have Ability" line will dictate what type of hull is used (None=Normal,Cargo=Transport, Colony=Colony Hull). This can be used to create unique hulls such as transports for Mine/Sat Layers (see the Darlok) or transports for Colonizers - very useful in late game.
(3) If the race has unique components from any of their traits, make sure they use them! (i.e. "Weapons Always Hit").
(4) Do not use cloaking ability in designs containing minesweeping components b/c this ability cannot be used while cloaked.
(5) Do not use space yards components in designs containing cloaking components b/c the AI has difficulty using these ships effectively unless it is not cloaked (which is not very often).
(6) Add self-destruct components so that humans will not board and use them (minimal risk from AI opponent).
(7) Limit Population Transports to 600 tonnage b/c otherwise they will take an entire population away and leave almost nothing.
(8) Create multiple classes of ships and units (long range, short range, recon, etc.). The AI can only have one valid design in a Category each turn, but it will randomly switch between valid designs over a period of several turns. This creates more variety to keep human opponents off-balance as well as avoids putting all of your eggs in one basket so to speak!
(9) Consider arming your minesweepers (which always travel alone and are not cloaked) so that they are not “easy kills.”
(10) Place sensors in carriers, space yard/defense bases and/or space yards ships to give you more coverage when the unit cap has been reached or satellite layers are not available to deliver recon sats.
(11) Make sure to put cargo bays in sat/mine layers and carriers for extra capacity.
(12) Consider cloaked long range colonizers now that the AI will turn off cloaking in order to colonize a planet (heheh! Look for Darlok).
(13) Make sure your designs use unique components that your race may find in ruins (i.e. Neural Net or Massive Shield Depleter).

AI_ANGER.TXT
(1) Most of the AI authors are not sure whether all of the lines work in this file or not simply b/c it is so hard to quantify and no one knows the anger levels of a given race other than general attitudes.
(2) Match up to actual character of race. Should the EA get mad if an ally travels through their system? Should the Klingons?
(3) Watch the “Regular Decrease” line as it drastically effects how easy going and tolerant your race is.

AI_POLITICS.TXT
(1) Most of the AI authors are not sure whether all of the lines work in this file too for the same reason as the anger.txt file.
(2) Watch “Highest Treaty Allowed” - Safe bet is to limit this to "Military Alliance" since humans may take advantage of Alliances and other AIs may get stupidly angry if they can suddenly “see” all of your colonizable planets and get angry over them based on their settings.txt file.
(3) Take the time to read and modify these lines - a lot of the default ones seem counter-intuitive and if you are not consistent, can lead to radical behavior in your races.
(4) Modify the "Accept Trade" percentages at the end of file so humans will not screw your AI in trades.
(5) Modify score levels at which your race will accept demands so that it will not give in to weaker players at the drop of hat.

AI_SPEECH.TXT
(1) This simple file, while it does not have any substantive value, adds a lot to each race's character and really helps to immerse the player in the game if the AI author takes the time to do it right (i.e. Klingon, Darlok, Sergetti files).
(2) Feel free to deceive your human opponents in your speech file - just b/c the speech line says "they have not agreed to your request to kill your enemy" does not mean the actual text has to reflect that!

AI_PLANET_TYPES.TXT
(1) I cannot stress how important this file is for the economics of the race. The common approach to this file is to "skim" levels off of each bracket to ensure all of the 125+ planets are used properly, then the 115+ resource planets, etc. (look at TDM-Modpack replacement default AI file by Daynarr or any of the other TDM-Modpack races)
(2) Each race has unique resource needs - but ALL need research planets.
(3) This file is ignored when the AI is low on a particular resource (i.e. minerals). In those situations the AI automatically assigns the planet type based on any existing defiencies - a good thing.
(4) Make sure you test your races “Not Connected” planet selection tree - some people actually play this option and they may want your race to pick planets differently since it is typically limited to only one system for 100+ turns.

AI_CONSTRUCTION_FACILITIES.TXT
(1) Also an important one from an economic sense. Make sure every planet type has a large "catch-all" type of facility at the end of each queue. Earlier experiments which assumed this list looped like the construction queue failed miserably.
(2) If the race has unique facilities from any of their traits, make sure they build them! (i.e. "Reduced Maintenance Cost - System" for Crystalline races).
(3) Make sure large and huge planets also contain Space Yards in their queue to utilize the population bonuses (and redundancy never hurts for the price of one facility slot).
(4) Only a few races really require extensive organic producing facilities, therefore utilize the facility slots
on farming worlds for research or intel facilities.
(5) For Gas Giant races, losing a planet is a big deal b/c you have so few and far between in the early stages of the game. Try to build some redundancy into each of your planet facility queues so losing a huge
Mining Colony or Research Colony won’t be as bad (see the Darlok).
(6) Make sure the planet value and condition change facilities are added into the queues (typically large construction planets) as well as the system defense facilities (System Gravitational Shield to prevent star
destruction, etc.) on at least one planet in each system (typically a military installation).
(7) Make sure Planetary Shields is added in the event your race finds unique ruins.
(8) Make sure ship/fleet training facilities are added in where necessary.
(9) Test storage levels of all resources to make sure similar to human players - remember the AI races will NOT trade extra resources for those they need like humans will.
(10) Make sure you test your races “Not Connected” facility build tree - some people actually play this option and they may want your race to do more than sit on its thumbs for 100 turns - you need research more than you need massive storage capacity at this point.

.EMP FILE
(1) Always make one - there are a number of settings/strategies which can be tweaked - starting with setting complete AI on!
(2) Consider setting “Auto claim system when colonize” to off for passive races.
(3) Carefully monitor empire options such as “clear order when encounter enemy or other races.”
(4) Provide 2000,3000 & 5000 point Versions so that each one utilizes the race's full potential points.

DESIGN.TXT
(1) Make sure you include one and that it matches your race’s character. Try not to use one of the default b/c having several races with ship names like “Minnesota” are boring.
(2) Make sure the general.txt file contains the correct spelling of this file and the “.txt” at the end.

SHIPSET GRAPHIC FILES
(1) Use the “Style Tester” created by Malfador to test whether your ship graphics are properly masked.
(2) Double-check all of the file names against one of the default races.

[This message has been edited by Tampa_Gamer (edited 24 October 2001).]

Old October 24th, 2001, 04:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

Atraikius is on a distinguished road

In the design creation file:

The Must have at least X, and must have ability fields are placed before any amounts are calculated later in creating the design, and multiple entries for the same ability will result in multiples of that component Ex. two must have lines of Cargo storage, with the must have number set to 2, will result in two cargo bays being placed on the design.

The Majority Comp Ability is used to determine what type of ship to use; Launch recover fighters - carrier, Cargo Storage - transport, Colonize - Colony ship

Old October 26th, 2001, 12:28 AM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road

Ok, here are my tips and tricks. I will only stress point not already covered by others here (ok, that’s no strict rule ).

AI_ANGER.TXT
This is an important file for the AI diplomacy. Don’t give the Ai to much anger points in a single row. There are many ways to anger the Ai but few to make them friendly so beware if you don’t want to create psycho races (and there are already many out there).

AI_CONSTRUCTION_FACILITIES.TXT
A very important file. Make sure you build all your special buildings your advanced trait gave you but watch out for buildings does not use. A good example for this IMHO are the training facilities: The Ai will actually use them (i.e. place a ship/fleet of them) BUT as the AI tends to be busy sending all its ships and fleets from one end of the galaxy to the next the AI will seldom use this facilities. On the other hand they will use up valuable building slots so weight if their use of space is really worth it (IMHO: no). Sorry, Tampa.
Try to only use a small amount of different colony types. The AI is limited in the ways it can choose these colonies. By creating dozens of different colony types you will loose your focus and you can’t make sure the AI actually build the right colony with the right facility at the right place (e.g. a military installation in every system). A good example of a unneeded colony type is the “construction colony”. You need lots of space yards and therefore should integrate them in nearly all colony types with a certain size.
On a side note, make sure the AI researches all important buildings fast at at least level one. This way the Ai will follow your build plan and will upgrade the facilities in time. If you do not research these facilities in time the AI will have used up all the slots with the buildings from the “catch all” line.

AI_CONSTRUCTION_VEHICLES.TXT
There is one confirmed and known bug with recon satellites: These satellites will not be counted toward the production total once they are launched in space. If you call them, the AI will build them until the “units in space limit” is reached AND all the cargo on all planets is used up. Need I say that this will take forever and that no production “below” the recon satellite call will be executed?
You can circumvent the problem somewhat by making “combat” satellites recon satellites. “Combat” satellites are counted correctly. This will prevent your race from using combat satellites, however…
Make sure you build some Space Yard Ships. If the are not constructing something, there are actually used as repair ships and will go after your crippled zero-movement ships. But beware: The AI will only consider a ship a SPS if there is a space yard on board. You can give it some repair bays to, but there must be a space yard to be a SYS.

AI_DESIGNCREATION.TXT
Make sure you call each item as specifically as possible. For example:
To add organic armor to a design you could use the “Armor Spaces Per One” line or you could use the“Misc Ability 1 Name:= Armor”. Both ways will result in organic armor being added IF
a) you have organic armor at all
b) there is no “better” armor.
Unfortunately, the AI considers any armor of level 4 or higher (e.g. emissive, stealth and scatter armor) to be “better” armor.
Therefore, the best method to call an item is by a unique ability of this item. For organic armor, this is regeneration. So, the best line would be “Misc Ability 1 Name:= Armor Regeneration”. Now the AI will always use organic armor.

AI_PLANET_TYPES.TXT
Like Tampa said, this may be the single most important file for your race. If this is not done properly your whole race will fall apart as they have no economy to sustain their fleet.

AI_POLITICS.TXT
The “Military Alliance” should be the highest treaty your race should make. Not only will your race get angry over allied colonized planets (you can turn this one off) but much worse: The AI will gain star maps and then sent colonizers to colonize these nice huge correct atmosphere planets 500 LIGHTYEARS AWAY WITH A TRAVEL TIME OF ROUND-ABOUT 50 TURNS!
So, NEVER EVER LET YOUR AI MAKE A PARTNERSHIP-TREATY, NEVER EVER MAKE IT AN ANCIENT RACE!
Puh, enough screaming. But this had to be said.

AI_STRATEGIES.TXT
Listen to Tampa, he knows what he is doing.

.EMP FILE
Make sure the line “Ships should not move through minefields” is OFF. If not, all your ships will not move through mines INCLUDING your minesweepers. It is a known bug and MM is working on this one.

GENERAL
Two Last things that are bugs and will effect how you design your race:
1.) Boarding ships will not actively engage an enemy ship even when armed with a "real" weapon like a depleted uranium cannon. The boarding ship (BS) will run for the battle field corner until any of the enemy ships lose all of its shields. If enemy shields are down, the BS will board the enemy.
2.) The Ai is not always creating a new ship design if certain techs become available in simultaneous games. If sensors, combat sensors or shields are researched, the AI should initiate a new design but it does not. It will only add these components if the next bigger ship class is available (the AI then starts a new design process and adds every called for available tech). It has no problems to upgrade the ship designs if only a newer component is researched (i.e. shields I are in the design and shields II become available).
Old October 26th, 2001, 02:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sinapus is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Tampa_Gamer:

AI_DESIGNCREATION.TXT
(1) Obviously entire threads have been written on this one!! You must experiment and check your race constantly and at all tech levels to make sure a given design makes sense at each level of tech and stage
of the game.
(2) Use of the "Must Have Ability" line will dictate what type of hull is used (None=Normal,Cargo=Transport, Colony=Colony Hull). This can be used to create unique hulls such as transports for Mine/Sat Layers (see the Darlok) or transports for Colonizers - very useful in late game.

If you modded Space Yards to have the cargo storage ability (0kt) and made space yard designs have cargo storage as a 'must' have and then didn't designate any cargo storage in the main, secondary or misc components, would the AI use a transport hull to design an SYS w/o cargo bays?

(As in, if you had space yards as the main component, would the AI put an SY in a medium transport hull, then consider the must have requirement satisfied since the design now has a 400kt component w/cargo storage ability.)

Old October 27th, 2001, 04:39 PM

Captain

Alpha Kodiak is on a distinguished road

One thing that I am noticing is that, now that 1.49 uses the value Tech Area Min Percent in the research file, it is generally a bad idea to ever set that value to 100 because when the project completes, there is no other project to absorb the left over research points. It appears to me that it is better to use 50 and accept the fact that you will get one project in between when you are trying to set up a project that is dependent on another.

Also, normally, it would be best to use all 25's early in the research queue, unless one of the projects is really big, just in case you are dealing with a large number of starting planets or a large amount of starting resources, just to not waste too much research. (In a multiplanet game with high starting resources, I usually see all four starting projects completed and some points lost anyway, so I would hate to limit the startup research to less than four projects.)

Ursoids of the Galaxy, unite!