.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 16th, 2009, 12:02 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MA T'ien Ch'i - a little of this, a little of that and BAM!

I actually think MA TC should get boosted PD since it's supposed to be a feature of the nation - currently it's decent, but it's not one of the standout best ones, which it perhaps should be.

Has anyone created an advantage from MA TC's varied healers?
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Corporal

Natpy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
Has anyone created an advantage from MA TC's varied healers?
Use it in a "fetish factory".
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:57 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalz View Post
I'm not sure what you mean about consorts overthrowing a province, as far as I know all they can do is raise unrest which reduces your opponents income and if you can get it over 100 shuts down production in that province.
IIRC, if unrest gets too high (over 100?) it unlocks the bad event which can let a province revolt and become independent again.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 16th, 2009, 02:09 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

But that's not something I'd want to plan on. Province revolts are rare even with high unrest.
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

The magic number seems to be 255..
Old June 17th, 2009, 03:27 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Baalz, as usual I really enjoyed reading your guide. It got me thinking of all sorts of new (to me) possible directions and options. IMHO, this is the trademark of a great guide, that it makes a lasting impact on the reader.

I have two comments though.
Re. massing archers. There are so many counters to that. I personally would not advise going too heavy on that. First and foremost counter is the most accessible and simple: decoys. Then there are the (somewhat) more sophisticated counters such as arrow fend, storm, flyers and flankers.
A combined arms approach, such as you have mentioned, is the way to go IMO.

Re. taking production. I can see the merit of that in the context of your guide, however I find the loss of 240 design points to be staggering. There's so much you could do with and contrary to production those 240 points can go into areas that won't have diminishing returns as the game progresses.
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

I can't imagine how you'd play this nation with sloth-3 Wraithlord, or what you'd spend those points on that would give you a better payout. Production scales buy you:

A much faster initial expansion than you would have on the back of an expansion pretender and few troops.

A stronger hand in an early war/rush than a combat pretender.

Extra income, +18% compared to sloth-3. The gold compounds with the faster expansion, giving you not just more troops but more castles and more research.

Ability to adjust your troop mix much quicker. This is very important because as you point out going in just one direction with TC's troops leaves you very vulnerable to a counter. All of TC's troops are not very hard to counter resoundingly if used by themselves in a predictable manner (ie mass archers and march around waiting for your enemy to do something about it). MA TC has so many great options other than archers I think I need to do an addendum to the guide since I think I give the impression that you have to focus on massing archers here.

You've got glaives - light, medium and heavy depending on what you need. They deal 20 damage before you drop a single buff and scream to have strength of giants, quickness, weapons of sharpness, touch of madness, mass flight (or haste if they're dropping storm) for some chop-a-matic-4000 action - particularly combined with the armor destruction you're already been emphasizing. Imagine how many glaives you can field in a turn or two's notice at 9 gold and 11 resources out of several castes with production-3 scales and imagine those quickened, hasted/flying dudes wrapping all the way around a formation of elite enemies.

You've got light pikes - only 8 gold and 9 resources. They do a decent amount of damage as well while having a better attack and a length of 6 which will repel average morale troops fairly well. Combine with panic and deploy against the right type of enemies fighting out of dominion (no archers, lighter armored) and these can be very cost effective troops. Great for repelling light cavalry/flyers trying to flank to your archers (pikes are longer than lances).

You've got light, medium, heavy, and elite tower shield infantry every bit as good as the well respected Romanesque infantry. 15 defense + 14 production before you drop a buff along with falchion and 12 attack skill, there are certainly worse troops to mass. Who cares if your enemy deploys archer screens if they mostly end up massed up against your blockers for a dozen turns? Heck, these guys are perfectly viable to use with no archers at all once you drop a couple buffs on them. Or just use them as blockers for your heavy duty magical artillery.

You've got some of the best heavy cavalry in the game along with extremely capable switch hitter cavalry which can immediately switch to a flanking charge if archery isn't effective or just punch a hole straight through the center. Their protection of 14 climbs into the 20s with legions of steel and wooden warriors, which along with their 15 defense bringing them on par with most other elite cavalry while being significantly cheaper (and thus outnumbering, say Black Knights or Knights of Avalon by 2 or 3 to 1). Haste doesn't help with your first strike damage, but it does let you blaze across the battlefield amazingly fast for flanking.

Heck, with a well placed castle and production scales you can crank out 30-50+ light horsemen in a turn *per castle*, which means you're counting your first strike lances by the hundreds. When your enemy shows up with his clever archer counters and instead encounters two hundred charging cavalry after you've just dropped iron bane trust me, you'll believe in the flexibility of TC with production-3 scales.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baalz For This Useful Post:
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:39 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

8 gold and 9 resources for pikes? In CBM? I can't check right now but that doesn't sound right at all. I was playing MA TC the other day and I don't remember them being that cheap.

And do the light horsemen have lances or light lances. There's a pretty big damage difference.
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:43 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the elaborate and convincing response

I could be argumentative and say things like - "put more magic on your pretender", "get a minor bless", "take an awake SC with great scales apart from sloth", "Crank up many castles so sloth wouldn't prevent you from mass recruiting". Instead of saying any such things I think I'll take your excellent advise and just setup two SP games - one that will follow your advise to the letter and a 2nd that would dump those sloth points on something else (I'll try to come up with something good). I suspect it is very likely that the first game will look up much better - Regardless, this is the first nation that I ever consider taking prod-3 a valid choice. Up until now I have never taken anything other than sloth 3, be it SP or MP. I thank you for helping me see the good side of the production scale.
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
8 gold and 9 resources for pikes? In CBM? I can't check right now but that doesn't sound right at all. I was playing MA TC the other day and I don't remember them being that cheap.

And do the light horsemen have lances or light lances. There's a pretty big damage difference.
The pikes are the leather armor guys, your second cheapest unit. I'm at work right now, but had the game up when I typed my original response, and it was with CBM 1.5.

They have light lances which according to Cleveland in the "Did you know" thread do more damage than heavy lances under strength of giants:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveland View Post
1) Did you know that the "Charge Bonus for First Strike" that Lances receive is a damage bonus equivalent to 30% of the unit's action points?

So for example, a Lance-wielding indy Heavy Cavalry (20 action points, 16 damage, strength not added) will deal 16 + 20*0.3 = 22 damage. If he is Quickened, his action points will double to 40, so he'll deal 16 + 40*0.3 = 28 damage.

2) Did you know that with Strength of Giants, a Light Lance 1st strike becomes at least as deadly as a Lance?

Light Lances are 3damage plus strength of the wielder, while Lances are 16damage, but strength isn't added. The weakest Light Lance wielders are 9str (Jade Maiden, Nightmare, and Pegasus Rider), so after SoG they deal 9+3+4 = 16 damage before the 1st strike bonus, same as a Lance. Actually, most Light Lance wielders are stronger than 9, so Strength of Giants generally makes the Light Lance 1st strike more deadly than a Lance.
At any rate, number crunching aside they do plenty of damage from actual testing with no buffs at all with the numbers you're fielding. As I mention though, they don't hold up too well in toe to toe fighting.

Last edited by Baalz; June 17th, 2009 at 11:30 AM..